PDA

View Full Version : C-clip axle owners check this out

Jamie
January 6th, 2010, 09:42 PM
I saw this in my new Petersons mag. Very cool for guys that have a c-clip rear axle. :fing:

We all know a broken rear axle shaft on a Jeep with the Dana 35 spells disaster.

It's called the trip saver. I'm sure this could work for various vehicles as long as the flange is close the same size as a Dana 35.

The only thing not included is the front hub, but I happen to have 4 of these laying around. If anyone would be willing to buy one and try it out I'll give you a front unit bearing hub just to see the results!

http://www.tanktough.com

Haku
January 7th, 2010, 02:17 AM
How much is a spare axle shaft for those? Can't imagine its as much as that kit costs. Should be fairly easy to find at a junkyard or as a takeoff for someone who is upgrading to Chromo stuff. Still, probably worth having if you are going out in the boonies. Saw a jeep snap a rear axle shaft on Spring Creek, and it was pretty clear he wasn't going anywhere quickly. He was lucky it happened close to the beggining of the trail, but it would suck to get out in the desert somewhere and have that happen. Gotta love Full Float for that very reason. Oh, and if you don't feel like messing around with their mediocre website, the cost for that kit is $178 plus some shipping I imagine.

JH

Brody
January 7th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Thanks Jamie!

Jamie
January 12th, 2010, 09:42 PM
How much is a spare axle shaft for those? Can't imagine its as much as that kit costs. Should be fairly easy to find at a junkyard or as a takeoff for someone who is upgrading to Chromo stuff. Still, probably worth having if you are going out in the boonies. Saw a jeep snap a rear axle shaft on Spring Creek, and it was pretty clear he wasn't going anywhere quickly. He was lucky it happened close to the beggining of the trail, but it would suck to get out in the desert somewhere and have that happen. Gotta love Full Float for that very reason. Oh, and if you don't feel like messing around with their mediocre website, the cost for that kit is $178 plus some shipping I imagine.

JH

Well, a stock axle shaft is cheap but you still have to pull everything apart and reinstall. Then there are folks like me that run alloy 30 spines which means a replacement is expensive so this is a great option to get you home. I have personally seen one break and it took most of the night to get the rig off the trail, still had to be flat bedded home since the wheel will still "walk out"

I have a few extra unit bearings and am working on building one of these as a emergency repair kit for my rig.

Brody
January 13th, 2010, 05:26 AM
These are a good part to carry with you. Having had the same experience as Jamie with a broken C clip a couple of times on my 91 Cherokee until I did the C clip eliminator. Yes, you can get off the trail. Yes you can't drive on the highway with a broken C clip. Not the ideal situation...

Since I was running the stock axle on the front and had broken that before, I was also carrying replacement front shafts with me on harder trails. I grabbed both sides from a junkyard from the rotors back including the knuckles, which made a trail change much easier.

1freaky1
January 13th, 2010, 05:42 AM
That is a good idea and design, looks like someone put some time into figuring it out for a good safe operation off the trail and home. Thanks Jamie for posting.