PDA

View Full Version : Back From Class

Medic-5150
January 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I would highly recommend taking a Wilderness First Responder course for just about everyone on this forum. They're not cheap, but you'll learn a lot of applicable information. WMI of NOLS offers other classes as well (the upgrade course for EMTs which I took, advanced First Aid, and a complete EMT course as well). Well worth the money. If anyone's interested I'd be happy to share some knowledge and answer any questions!

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wildfirstresponder.shtml

Brody
January 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
What Andrew said: This is very good information to know if you spend any time at all outside.

I taught a lot of NOLS people when I was doing my climbing school and guide service back in the early 80s. Many of them went through one or more of my climbing courses (rock, ice, alpine mountaineering) and many of them took my wilderness survival/winter survival/back country first aid courses. This sounds like an advanced program of what I was teaching at the time.

This is also one of those things that should be brought up when people do a trail run: Who knows what kind of first aid, where the first aid kits are located in each others rigs (the military does this-they make sure everyone's first aid stuff is in the exact same location..if you have to ask why, you probably need toilet paper with directions printed on it) and what, if any 'conditions' someone may have that may put them in danger...or endanger others...and where any special medications may be located and for whom...

Medic-5150
January 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Good points Pete. Before every run it would be wise to just take a few minutes and get a small background on everyone involved and get a general inventory of who has what and where in their vehicle it is. the more we all know, the better we can help eachother in an emergency

Pathrat
January 7th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Was this the one in Utah or do I have my posts confused?

Medic-5150
January 7th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Yea same class

Pathrat
January 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Cool, I am jealous.