PDA

View Full Version : Pole Hill Snow Run II

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM
OK, it is official. Now post up if you can make it or not. I am still up in the air, but will know by tomorrow AM at the latest.

Smash
January 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM
We hope to be there. For those attending, please read the copied post from the trail planning thread and respond if need be!

Ok, we should be in for this. I have a spare that sort of holds air, I'll locate an extension or the bottle jack greenmachine gave to me. I have a small first aid kit in the Foz I'll transfer over, along with shovels, tow straps, extra fluids and a small air compressor

Unfortunately for me that is all the recovery gear I have to bring. I don't even have a spanner. What we do have are good muscles, great attitudes and ready and willing to work.

If anyone would rather us NOT come along because of our inexperience and lack of gear, please say so here or via pm and we will bow out, no hard feelings.

Brody
January 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I certainly wouldn't hold any of that against you...I happen to like you guys...and your dogs ...and your cats. Of course, you would the first people that we would have to abandon if it came to that, but we would probably toss a water bottle and a couple of Twizzlers your way as we drove away...:D

Fordguy77
January 8th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Me and the :princess: will be riding along with Andrew(medic 5150). Happy to get out on the trails with ya guys again.

Smash
January 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I certainly wouldn't hold any of that against you...I happen to like you guys...and your dogs ...and your cats. Of course, you would the first people that we would have to abandon if it came to that, but we would probably toss a water bottle and a couple of Twizzlers your way as we drove away...:D

Oh it's good to be loved! :lol:

Trailrat99XJ
January 8th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I'm a maybe...It's been awhile!!

Haku
January 8th, 2010, 08:28 PM
We hope to be there. For those attending, please read the copied post from the trail planning thread and respond if need be!

Ok, we should be in for this. I have a spare that sort of holds air, I'll locate an extension or the bottle jack greenmachine gave to me. I have a small first aid kit in the Foz I'll transfer over, along with shovels, tow straps, extra fluids and a small air compressor

Unfortunately for me that is all the recovery gear I have to bring. I don't even have a spanner. What we do have are good muscles, great attitudes and ready and willing to work.

If anyone would rather us NOT come along because of our inexperience and lack of gear, please say so here or via pm and we will bow out, no hard feelings.

You two are screwed, but I'll make sure the dogs get home fine.

Honestly, I think your paranoia is showing, and you just need to get out and wheel that sucker. I think you'll find that you won't have any problems. I imagine between Brody and I, we'll have plenty of tools to throw around. Heck, I even have a welder. Every trip doesn't have to to be an expedition. You pretty much drive through a mountain residential area to get there, and the worst that could really happen is you have to do some hiking. You are still the first to get eaten though.

On another note, anyone interested in camping out the night before we go wheeling? There are some cool sites up there, and its not gonna be as frigidly cold this weekend as it has been this week. Big Bonfire and lots of blankets make for some good winter camping.

JH

p.s. Time to head to Harbor Freight and pick up set of "spanners" (as you call them...what are you British?). THey have a set that come in cool, but shody, little tool sleeve for like 20 bucks (sorry, went to look for the actual prices and got distracted)...

scout man
January 8th, 2010, 11:08 PM
for like?

Brody
January 9th, 2010, 05:12 AM
and pick up set of "spanners" (as you call them...what are you British?).

HAHA...I was going to ask the same thing when I read that, Josh! No one over here calls an adjustable wrench a spanner. That is a totally British expression. Reading too many British authors or British car manuals....

CR
January 9th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I'm in. I'll see you all at the gas station in Lyons. Can't wait to wheel with more new faces.
Pathy Rob, you coming?

Smash
January 9th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Lol! Yeah I guess that is a funny name for them. I will for sure be hitting up Harbor Freight for some tools when I can. Need to build a better tool kit for the motorcycle as well.

Normally we would definitely say yes to camping, it's totally our style. But, that isn't gonna help me kick this damn cold. Plus, Karla has to work today. :(

Brody
January 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I am going to able to go on this run! Yea! See everyone there at either the gas station of trail turn off/Hwy 36 junction.

I just heard from Mark (TwistyToy) and he is going to be going to.

My cell (though I don't know what cell reception is going to be like): 303-507-3066

Smash
January 9th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Sweet! Will be good to see you and have your expertise along.

We'll be at the gas station next to the bike shop.

Rusty
January 9th, 2010, 11:44 AM
C.R., I really want to go, but i'm just worried about my clutch if it can take another run. I'm probably just being paranoid but with the new job, the Pathy doesn't do me much good parked in front of the house. Common sense says no but everyhting else says yes. I'm more known for going against the obvious safe route so more than likely I'll go.

dr350jja
January 9th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Is the clutch giving you problems?

Rusty
January 9th, 2010, 11:50 AM
My uncle's been a mechanic for over 35 years and his shop has done ALL the work on the Pathy since new and the only "warning" he gave me was that it has the original clutch 193K miles. It doesnt slip or grind, it just doensnt put ALL the power to ground that it should. Like I said im probably just being too cautious but the worst case senario in this situation would be devestating.

dr350jja
January 9th, 2010, 11:55 AM
...it just doensnt put ALL the power to ground that it should.

...you talking 'bout up in the hills, on the snow run? lol

Rob
OK, it is official. Now post up if you can make it or not. I am still up in the air, but will know by tomorrow AM at the latest.

Pete, how about you edit this post and list everyone who's confirmed to go?

dr350jja
Well, 193K is quite a bit of miles.

Smash
January 9th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah that is a TON of miles!! Only got 80k out of my first clutch on the Forester. But then again I drove it in ways it wasn't built to take.

Rob
January 9th, 2010, 11:58 AM
it has the original clutch 193K miles

Rob, I'll bet you can get it to 193,065 miles. :fing:

Rusty
January 9th, 2010, 12:07 PM
lol thanks Rob, I've started a thread about this and other questions i have in its appropriate place under tech/builds so if you guys can give it a look for some help id appreciate it. Sorry Rob for the hi-jack, to answer the actual question, YES IM IN.

Rob
January 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I'll more than likely be there. Might try the 40 this time.

Brody
January 9th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I am not going to try to edit this post now to see who is going or not. Too much stuff to edit...Try to be there at 9:00 cause we are meeting a couple of people at the Hwy 36/ turn off junction at 9:30. We will probably leave the Diamond Shamrock lot close to 9:10, so if we aren't here, you will know where we are....

SubaCool is riding with me.

Rob (DrUnit) call or PM me if you want me to bring the books and winch stuff...I'll check PMs in the AM...

Rob
January 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Rob (DrUnit) call or PM me if you want me to bring the books and winch stuff...I'll check PMs in the AM

If you get the PM in the AM, will that suffice as an RSVP and get a PDQ response ASAP. BTW, IMHO, IIRC I love alphabet soup. :erm:

Haku
January 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM
If you get the PM in the AM, will that suffice as an RSVP and get a PDQ response ASAP. BTW, IMHO, IIRC I love alphabet soup. :erm:

FTW or GTFO dude. Need a Pirate salute smiley for that one though. :)

JH

Medic-5150
January 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM
If anyone has any medical questions feel free to ask tomorrow. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions, especially those regarding wilderness medicine and improvising in the woods.

CR
January 9th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Looks like I'll have an open seat if anyone else wants to go but cannot drive. Probably have to meet in Longmont or Lyons though. Let me know.

dr350jja
January 9th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I'll more than likely be there. Might try the 40 this time.

That would be awesome, I'd really like to see that rig in action

RidgeRunner
January 9th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hey Pete, how long does this run usually take? I'd love to come but have to be back around 4ish. Just wondering if that is feasable.

Haku
January 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I'd say you should be fine. Its the kind of run where you can do every little loop, or just the main one. Pretty easy to escape on your own if you want to, assuming conditions are similar to last weekend (which they should be). You know how it is though, which is why I always leave the day fully open for wheeling only.

JH

RidgeRunner
January 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I'm gonna try and make this, turns out I don't have to be back till 6.

I'll be at the gas station by 9 and Charlie is riding with me.

89blaze
January 9th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I cant believe Im gunna miss my first run. But I think I blew a head gasket this week. The blaze spung a leak in the radiater and its holding lots of preasure. For the next time where is Pole Hill?

Haku
January 9th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Pole Hill is up towards Estes Park, up Highway 7 from Lyons. At one point of the trail you look west towards Lake Estes, so I'd say its less then 10 miles to the East a bit. Here is the traildamage page for it....

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=188

JH

Smash
January 9th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Karla's cautioning me not to go cause I still don't have much energy from being sick, but we'll be there! Just taking it easy and will bugger out early if need be.

dr350jja
January 9th, 2010, 10:54 PM
^^
I look forward to meeting you both

Rob
January 9th, 2010, 10:58 PM
That would be awesome, I'd really like to see that rig in action

Unless it breaks down, then you get to see how fun it is to work on. :)

Rob
January 9th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Pole Hill is up towards Estes Park, up Highway 7 from Lyons. At one point of the trail you look west towards Lake Estes, so I'd say its less then 10 miles to the East a bit.

Highway 7 will get you there, but it's the long way and you have to drive through Estes. From Lyons, the best way is up U.S. 36 (also CO 66). Pole Hill Road is about three miles before you get to Estes.

Rusty
January 9th, 2010, 11:19 PM
k im going but i wont have the photographic excellence that i had last week with a passenger.Laugh laugh, wink wink... But this time i'll take the tire pressure down! C.R,, are we meeting at the station at mountain and hover to gas up? Man, people underestimate the capabilities of the 4 cylinder yota's.....

Brody
January 10th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Hey Pete, how long does this run usually take? I'd love to come but have to be back around 4ish. Just wondering if that is feasable.

All I know of Pole Hill is the very first 1/4 mile, specifically the end of the first 1/4 mile. I spent about 4 hours there last year when I tried to plow through un tracked snow bumper high on my rig. I got stuck and when I tried to back out, hit some ice on an off camber section and slid nose first off the road pointing downhill. It took three rigs to eventually get me out.

So , like I said, I know that spot very well....

RidgeRunner
January 10th, 2010, 07:02 AM
All I know of Pole Hill is the very first 1/4 mile, specifically the end of the first 1/4 mile. I spent about 4 hours there last year when I tried to plow through un tracked snow bumper high on my rig. I got stuck and when I tried to back out, hit some ice on an off camber section and slid nose first off the road pointing downhill. It took three rigs to eventually get me out.

So , like I said, I know that spot very well....

Cool, thanks. I have a little more time than I thought so I'll be there. See you soon.