PDA

View Full Version : Moody Hill Camping Trip on January 17th/18th

Medic-5150
January 11th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Since I don't know how to move a thread, here it is all over again. Mark(flexytoy) has informed me that Moody Hill is in fact still open. So we're set for a camping trip/four wheeling adventure this Sunday/Monday. Since I've never been there, I'm open to time suggestions and meeting locations, and even a trip leader. In the other thread, http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8155-Who-wants-to-go-camping, there was talk about some people going up Saturday and camping that night then meeting up with those of us who are going up on Sunday. All are welcome! If anyone's interested in carpooling let me know as I've got a few extra seats!

Haku
January 12th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Thats one of my favorite places to wheel, so I'd be happy to lead it. I've camped up there too, and know the spots. Anybody should be able to get there, but rigs like Subbies might have to take the long way round. Here is a decent map I made using Google Earth and a KMZ file from Trail Damage...

http://gakm5g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pQ2DuSkhYiqKdhsQJ9k6jUf42uzHw9Mtjy_jQxspU82c70Pw qxtyL1Bmcr1lc_M-qngqT0INWGWIlA8UfMjd_fPdw0vHtF_rg/Moody%20Map.jpg

The green trail is the harder way, is pretty steep and could be pretty slippy. The campsite that I have stayed at that works really well is about halfway between the trailhead and the turn off to the Quarry (a very hard obstacle but fun to check out even if you don't try it). The purple trail is a graded road pretty much the whole way, so should be fine for lower clearance rigs, or if the main trail proves to be too snowy to get up. You drive through a residential area going the purple route, and it gets you to the Crystal Mountain trailhead. Turning left goes to Moody, and Right to Crystal. I'm guessing we probably won't get to the top of Crystal Mountain, but there are some really fun play spots with some different levels of obstacles to try out. Did this run this time last year, and it was a lot of fun for both camping and wheeling.

Oh, and to access this area, drive all the way through the main drag of Loveland until you feel like you are about to start heading towards Estes into the mountains. Just before that happens, you'll see a sign saying "Masonville" and you'll turn right onto CR-27. Drive all the way to Masonville, a tiny little town, and take a left here, which is Buckhorn Road. You'll go up this what feels like a long time, and its a very windy and cool little road that follows a small canyon most of the way. You'll eventually get to CR-44H, which is a turn off to the left onto a dirt road. FYI-if you don't turn onto 44H and continue on Buckhorn Road, you will eventually get to Poudre Canyon, which is where Kelly Flats and the trails around it. This makes for a great couple days of moderate wheeling and camping. Almost exactly a Mile and a half up 44H, you'll see a gate and a trail heading off to the left up the hill, which is the Moody trail. The easier way continues up this road for another 8 miles till you hit Crystal Mountain Road and go up as it says on the map above.

I'd be up for doing a couple days of camping, so I'm fine with leading both groups. I have to make sure my rig is doing allright (did something to the Hub on the snow run, but I think its only a problem when its in the freewheeling position), but barring that I'm totally in. Crystal Mountain/Moody is good for one day of wheeling, so maybe something like go wheeling on Sunday and then camp, and then head home on Monday midday? There is also the possibility of heading to do Kelly or Seven Mile, since its maybe 45 minutes -1 hour drive from the trailhead at Moody. A lot of info I just put up, but its a starting point at least.

Who all is getting the day off on Monday due to Martin Luther King Day? I'm good to go no matter what, but that could be a decided factor for many on the whole Saturday or Sunday dilemma.

JH

Medic-5150
January 12th, 2010, 07:33 AM
thanks for all the info Josh!!!! Where is a good place to meet and a rough time to be there?

Andrew
January 12th, 2010, 07:48 AM
What day are you actually running the trail?

BTW if you're in Northern Fort Collins, take 52E in Laporte (Rist Canyon) and it will take you to Stove Prairie Road, turn left to get to 44H. Rist Canyon road spits you out right at the start of Old Flowers Road by the Stove Prairie Elementary school. From the South you can head up to Horsetooth through Masonville to get there. I don't think the mileage difference is that much.

Medic-5150
January 12th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I'll be running it on Sunday. I think Josh offered to run it both Saturday and Sunday since there's 2 different groups going up.

Andrew
January 12th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Oh I was looking for something Monday since I have the day off.

Medic-5150
January 12th, 2010, 08:11 AM
There may be a run Monday as well. Maybe the Sunday run could be moved to Monday and Sunday would be just driving into the campsite?

Smash
January 12th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Ooooooooooo I think I have monday off. I might be in for this. Need to talk to Karla. Will people have dogs there?

scout man
January 12th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Anyone up for hiking in the area as well? My fiance seemed interested in going, but I feel bad taking her on what is pretty much exclusively a wheeling trip, and I may have trouble convincing her. But if there were people interested in hiking on one of the two days it would be easier to cinvince her to come, which is a good step in the right direction because I usually cant get her in the scout as it really freaks her out being on a trail. The winter camping is not a problem, she loves that, just not sure if she will go knowing its really 2 days of wheeling or whatever.

I really want to head up moody again, so whether she is in or not I am going to try to come at least for the wheeling part. If she comes I will also have my puppy, if she does not then I will leave the puppy with her, since the pup has about the same feelings toward the scout as the lady does.

Medic-5150
January 12th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Anyone up for hiking in the area as well? My fiance seemed interested in going, but I feel bad taking her on what is pretty much exclusively a wheeling trip, and I may have trouble convincing her. But if there were people interested in hiking on one of the two days it would be easier to cinvince her to come, which is a good step in the right direction because I usually cant get her in the scout as it really freaks her out being on a trail. The winter camping is not a problem, she loves that, just not sure if she will go knowing its really 2 days of wheeling or whatever.

I'll be bringing my snowshoes and hiking boots. I'd be more than happy to venture off somewhere on either Sunday or Monday

Haku
January 12th, 2010, 10:18 AM
hahaa..........way to get together on this one guys.

I was originally thinking that we all do the Trail on Sunday together. The Saturday/Sunday people camp out and do some hiking on Saturday, then campout and meet the people driving up on Sunday. Go wheel as much of Crystal as possible, maybe go see whats up a the Quarry too. Then people who want to camp Sunday do so, and then go hiking and head home Monday. Always the option to go wheeling again on Monday though too, or any number of combo's.

I think there is a decent little trail for hiking that goes off west from where the little playground area is. I'll have a look and see if I can find out. Otherwise, the Snowshoe people could also hike up the rest of the mountain from where we can't get any further up (if thats the case). I'm sure there is something in the area to go do besides wheel though.

JH

Smash
January 12th, 2010, 10:34 AM
If I can make it, I'd love to do 2 days of wheeling. That being said I learned last weekend that it's very good to have a winch, so would like to be with someone that has one!

Medic-5150
January 12th, 2010, 10:35 AM
If I can make it, I'd love to do 2 days of wheeling. That being said I learned last weekend that it's very good to have a winch, so would like to be with someone that has one!

There should be plenty of winches in attendance

Smash
January 12th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Hoping to talk to Karla about it tonight. I should be a go. Just need to figure out if I'm gonna bring the kids (dogs) or not.

Smash
January 12th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Haku - I'm not real familiar with Moody. I know where the trailhead is and have been up there on a quad once. I often when up ballard with the Subaru when I lived in loveland. Anyways, when are you planning on going up? Or, can you give an exact location of the campsite so I can locate it on my GPS?

Smash
January 12th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Woohoo I'm in! Will be heading up Saturday. Haku, can you let me know where the campground is exactly? Or are you headed up Saturday and I could follow you up?

BlackRubi
January 12th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I might be in for two if not all three days. I totally forgot that Monday was a holiday!!! Woohoo!!! I guess working for the Gov't does have it's perks! All this AND a paycheck? LOL

Haku
January 12th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I have a dead wheel bearing on my rig, so I'm not sure if I'll make it at all at this point. I'm gonna try and find a replacement, but not sure how far I'll have to go to get it done. I made a thread about it, so if you have input have a look there (Brody, that means you...hehee). As far as GPS waypoints go, here ya go....

Moody Hill trail head:

Lat: 40°34'14.71"N
Lon: 105°20'54.77"W

Crystal Trailhead if you don't go up Moody:

Lat: 40°32'44.06"N
Lon: 105°24'47.46"W

The camping site I have stayed at before and I liked (has plenty of room for a big group):

Lat: 40°33'40.84"N
Lon: 105°22'0.63"W

All of those were found by Google Earth, which I think is fairly accurate. The trail tracks were found off Trail Damage, and I just did a "give me directions from here to here" option for the longer and easier route. Great program and if you don't have it, worth checking out. The camp site is pretty obvious, and has a small road leading down to it, and what is almost a cul de sac at the end. Notice there were some dead tree's nearby last time I went up there that looked to be good firewood, but you also might want to bring some along too.

I really want to go on this trip, but I don't have the gear to go unless I take my truck. I don't even have a sleeping bag at this point, and have been using a couple of down comforters the last couple times I went out. If I make it, I'll be adding a couple more layers though, as its gonna be pretty cold I think. If I get the rig fixed in time, I'll definitely be going both days. Spotty cell service up there, so we should figure out a time and place to meet up with the two groups. I imagine the campsite would be as good a place as any, but its up to ya'll.

JH

BlackRubi
January 12th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Come to think of it, one of my tent poles busted on my last camping trip. So unless I can find a backup tent or a new pole, I may be out. How chilly is it expected to be up that way this weekend? That could be another factor in my decision, with the kiddo and all.

Haku
January 12th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I'd say checking out the forecast for Estes Park or Rustic would give you a pretty good idea of what the weather will be like in this area. Its a bit lower then Estes, but not a by a whole lot. Weather.com says it will be mid 40's during the day and below 30 at night. Not bad for winter actually. Not sure tent camping with a toddler in this weather would work all that well, but I'm about as far from knowing about that as possible really.

JH

Smash
January 12th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the locations Haku. I'll be there Saturday morning probably. If Karla doesn't have to work, she'll come too and we'll go home Sunday. If she does have to work, I'll be up staying until Monday.

Those planning on bringing dogs please keep me updated as if you are actually bringing them or not.

Haku
January 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I just ordered a knuckle rebuild kit with wheel bearings and it should be here Friday midday. Hopefully I'll be able to rock out the knuckle rebuild in one day and be ready to go wheeling Saturday.

I think Steve is the only other dog person thinking of going, but not sure. Even keeping him on a leash won't help around other dogs? Roxy (Steve's dog) is a lover, but she does like to play and push at other dogs like most puppies. On the last camping trip we were on, there was another dog with boundary issues too, and she did allright as long as she was on a leash.

JH

scout man
January 12th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I have two tents, so someone can probably borrow the other one if I go, or even if I dont. This is unless i have a friend going that needs my other tent, but I am pretty sure they have one already.

Rusty
January 12th, 2010, 06:41 PM
If you guys don't mind another tag along, i'm in for Sat/Sun. I'll bring the mini weber and a couple pounds of my marinated baby backs and Buffa Que shrimp. Everyone's welcome to dig in. It would be nice to be able to meet up before cause I have no idea where i'm going. I don't have one of them there GPS thingers.

Haku
January 12th, 2010, 07:06 PM
How about meeting somewhere near the highway and caravan the rest of the way? I'm thinking somewhere near the Truck Stop at the Longmont exit. Don't think anyone from FOCO is coming, so that should work for everyone. I'll let the Sunday/Monday crew figure it out themselves. Its honestly not hard to find though, the directions sound more complicated then they are. Assuming I get the truck fixed, I'd be happy to come meet the guys coming up Sunday morning at the Moody Trailhead.

JH

Rusty
January 12th, 2010, 07:11 PM
The hwy 52 exit? What time works for everyone?

Medic-5150
January 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I regret to say I will be unable to make "my own" trip. I ended up being able to take my EMT refresher course. It came down to losing my EMT certificate or going four wheeling...

Haku
January 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
You were Married there? Did the ahole hunters who "leased" that land give you any grief about that?

Assuming I get my truck together (very likely) I'm definitely up for trying pretty hard to get as high as possible. That last big hill might be pretty challenging, but I'm certainly willing to try. Did you head to the Quarry last time? Much snow there?

JH

Andrew
January 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Did we decide on something for Monday or no?

Rob
January 12th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I usually cant get her in the scout as it really freaks her out being on a trail.

At least you have a way of talking her into going into the mountains with you. I couldn't get my wife to go on a trail even is she knew there was a pile of diamonds at the end of it.

So is anyone doing the trail on Saturday? I could maybe go on Saturday. Too cold for my old bones to be camping.

Smash
January 12th, 2010, 09:57 PM
How about we meet at 9am sat morning? Dunno where this truck stop is so give me a name or location.

Steve - let me know if you're for sure bringing your dog. If karla can come it will be a moot point as I'll have to bring them anyway. If she stays home to work I'll leave the dogs with her. Its no fault of your dog at all, but my lab can be really vicious and doesn't know when to stop. He was a street dog for 6 years, then spent a year completely unsocialized in a no kill shelter in greeley when I got him. He didn't even know what a leash was. Anyways, yeah he is just not safe. If we do have to bring him we'll have to make sure your dog gets the idea to not go close to him and I'll keep him in the truck as much as possible.

Smash
January 13th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Ok, it's just me. Let me know when and where we are meeting, I'll be there. Not bringing the dogs, they'll stay home with karla.

Haku - You wanna post this in the planned trail runs? Let folks know we plan on running trail on Saturday so they can come up even if not for an overnight? Would be great to have a good number of folks there if we're gonna see how high we can get.

sunk
January 13th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I think Ill be attending on Saturday. I dont think Ill be doing much wheeling, I havent had the cash to fix my steering yet. Im down for hiking/snowshoeing on saturday, and I will be bring my monster of a dog...he is really nice but likes to play with other dogs, he will be on a leash. I havent decided if I will stay saturday night (most likely) but if I do I will be staying in the truck. My gf doesnt like the cold so I will have a extra seat if anyone is interested. I guess I will be the bum at the campsite with the beer. So 9 am saturday at where??:D

Haku
January 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM
The hwy 52 exit? What time works for everyone?

No, the highway 119 exit is what I was thinking. There is a 7-11 with a bunch of fast food places around it that works great for meeting up.

Haku
January 13th, 2010, 10:50 AM
How about we meet at 9am sat morning? Dunno where this truck stop is so give me a name or location.

Steve - let me know if you're for sure bringing your dog. If karla can come it will be a moot point as I'll have to bring them anyway. If she stays home to work I'll leave the dogs with her. Its no fault of your dog at all, but my lab can be really vicious and doesn't know when to stop. He was a street dog for 6 years, then spent a year completely unsocialized in a no kill shelter in greeley when I got him. He didn't even know what a leash was. Anyways, yeah he is just not safe. If we do have to bring him we'll have to make sure your dog gets the idea to not go close to him and I'll keep him in the truck as much as possible.

Whats the hurry? 9am seems a bit early for what will just be a hiking day once we get there. I'm ok with that, but would prefer a bit later. I'll throw a "planned run" post up now though.

JH

Haku
January 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM
No didnt have any problems at all. George, if you know the area you know him, didnt come out and I didnt hear from him at all which was good cause i didnt want to deal with him on that day. We had 10 rigs packed full and got in had a wonderful time and then played on the rocks until 15 min after the wedding my buddy's lower link for his jeep ripped off the frame. I rewelded his jeep back together on my wedding day within minutes of the wedding. He drove all the way back to kansas city that way and said it drove better than it had in a long time. haha Quarry was wet and had lots of drifts going to it but once there it was fine. At the very top of crystal there was a 10 drift on the loop that we never got through,

Might be the coolest wedding ever. I camped at that spot one time (the ledge with the flat top) and had a dude and his two sons come over and tell us we were tresspassing as we were packing up. Evidently there is a sign thats about 6 inches sqaure about 200 feet away that says its "private" land. Thats in quotes since they just lease it from the Government. The guy was probably in his late forties with a couple of teenage sons. Just glad he didn't come the night before, cause we probably would have had to move.

JH

BlackRubi
January 13th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm not sure how to take what my wife said when I told her about the trip. I told her then she said "I don't think I'll go, but you can if you want to." Could it be a trap?

Haku
January 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Everything is a trap:lmao:. Bewaaare!!!

JH

Smash
January 13th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Whats the hurry? 9am seems a bit early for what will just be a hiking day once we get there. I'm ok with that, but would prefer a bit later. I'll throw a "planned run" post up now though.

JH

I'm a morning person. :)

But, you know where the campsite is, so will follow your lead.

Will look for your planned trip thread and will post up there.

BlackRubi
January 13th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I want to go, but I don't want to leave her alone with her being preggo and all.

Smash
January 13th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I'm a morning person. :)

But, you know where the campsite is, so will follow your lead.

Will look for your planned trip thread and will post up there.

Ok or maybe not....

I'll check back later to see if Haku's put this in the planned trip area.

I would do it, but am unsure of where the campsite is. I can try to get us there with the location Haku posted, but if he's coming along would rather just have him lead.

Haku
January 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM
There is a thread in the Planned Trail Runs section now........found here.....

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8194-Moody-Crystal-camping-trip-on-January-16-18th&p=81581#post81581

JH

Smash
January 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.