PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about this winch:

Speedwagon
January 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Rokmen is having a sale on the Superwinch LP8500 (http://www.rokmen.com/products/recovery_equipment/superwinch_lp8500/superwinch_lp8500.html) for $330. Going on a 2300lb Brat, is this a good deal? Should I pick one up at this price?

Rob
January 12th, 2010, 09:34 PM
The cheapest price from a google search was $400.

That's the winch I have on the Cruiser. I've had zero problems with it, but I've had it only about a year. I've heard good things from others, though.

8500 is also much more than you need for a 2,300-pound rig.

Andrew
January 12th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Superwinch is a pretty good brand. Lots of Jeep guys run them and I haven't heard anything bad about them. It's not WARN, but it doesn't cost as much either.

Overkill for 2300lbs though.

Speedwagon
January 12th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I know it's overkill for 2300lbs, but a 6k winch isn't usually any cheaper than $330 from what I've seen. Actually, the cheapest Harbor Freight winch is $300 from what I can tell.

Rob
January 12th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I know it's overkill for 2300lbs, but a 6k winch isn't usually any cheaper than $330 from what I've seen.

Go for it, then.

Andrew
January 12th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Put an ATV winch on that thing....haha kidding.

Yeah the other thing to consider is the weight of the winch. I don't know how much you would save going to something with less pull, if it would even be worth bothering.

Just don't hook up to a 5,000lb vehicle and expect to pull them up a hill and you'll be fine ;)

brian pleasant
January 12th, 2010, 09:48 PM
if i were you i will go for it, i dont know if 8500 winch weight more than 6000 winch but if it is close weight then go for it

Speedwagon
January 12th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Looks like it's only 5-10lbs between a 6k and 8.5k.

Haku
January 12th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Superwinch makes good winches (comparable to Warn, if I'm honest) and thats a good deal. Not gonna find a decent speed 8000lb winch fora much better price. Funnily enough, the 6k winches seem to be more expensive then a lot of the 8k ones. Form factor and weight will change a bit, as well as current draw, but I doubt its enough to make a difference. You'll probably be able to fit more winch line on a bigger capacity one though. I'm sure it will do great for ya.

JH

Hypoid
January 13th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Overkill is good: Lighter load= less current draw= less heat

SCREAMIN'!!! deal is better.

KnuckleHead
January 13th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I'm not sure how well the Smittybilt winches are but I know you can get a 8000lb one for $300. They say sell alot of them and have plenty in stock.... it's local... just my 2 cents.... I'll let someone else say if they are worth it or not. I was looking at getting it for my Isuzu, figure it's just the right size.

Haku
January 13th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I'm not sure how well the Smittybilt winches are but I know you can get a 8000lb one for $300. They say sell alot of them and have plenty in stock.... it's local... just my 2 cents.... I'll let someone else say if they are worth it or not. I was looking at getting it for my Isuzu, figure it's just the right size.

They are worth it. They hold up fine and work well for the occasional pull. They are just really slow. I'd say the extra $30 that Rokmen is selling that Superwinch for is worth it though. Also, 4wheelparts does a special every once in a while on the Smittybuilt unit where they take $50 off. Not sure if its going on now, but something to check out.

Brody
January 13th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Pretty much what everyone else has said:

Overkill for the Brat
Superwinch is the best deal going
$300 is a good price
You could get by with a 6k winch...

I would get it.

JeffX
January 13th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Good deal. Can your suspension handle the weight? I'd probably buy a cheap (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95912), light atv winch for that. You'll never need to pull yourself out of Carnage BV.

That said, if you can make it work, the SW is awesome.

Mporter
January 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Meh, it may be overkill, but how many subaru owners can say they've climbed up a tree in theirs?

Patrolman
January 13th, 2010, 04:43 PM
As everyone else stated, it is overkill for a Subaru, so you won't ever strain the winch. Won't ever need a snatch block to use the 16,000 lbs. Only downfall would be the weight. I doubt very much you would want it on the front of the rig permanently. Not to mention approach angles. Subaru already has a pretty crappy approach. And the Sub also has LOTS of weight on the front comparatively since the entire engine and a good portion of the trans are forward of the front axle. Adding more weight to the front would be a no-no. Use a receiver style setup and you will be cool.

Smash
January 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM
DO IT!

And then put it up a tree. Fantastic.

JeffX
January 13th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I just saw a coupon in Four Wheeler magazine (Feb '10) for the HF 3000# winch for half price ($49!).

Speedwagon
January 14th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Turns out, I got to him too late. He sold all the LP8500s he had, and doesn't expect to be getting more anytime soon.

I realize I have a very light vehicle, but I also want to be able to pull myself out of things if I have to. Dave@Rokmen is selling the EPi9.0S for $725 right now. This is a synthetic equipped, 9000lb, 80' of 3/8s rope, from the factory synthetic rope winch. Installed weight comes to just under 70lbs. I know 9k is overkill for pulling the Brat out, but Dave also brought up the points of pulling someone else out, as well as resale down the line. The EPi also has a lifetime warranty from Superwinch, instead of just 2 years with the LP.

An ATV winch might do the Brat just fine, but what if I ever had to pull someone else with it? I'd hate to be in a situation that someone needed a pull out, and I couldn't help them because the winch toasted itself in the process. I'm guessing the reliability of something like the EPi is infinitely better than that of the LP8500(which he said is Superwinch's answer to the Smittybuilt, and is built in China).

Haku
January 14th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Certainly not infinitely better, but its got a better motor and probably better everything. Thats a good deal for a decent winch though. You could probably find something used but equally as good for less though.

As for the "what if I have to pull someone else out" thing, there are a few things to think about. 1) Most of the time you aren't pulling anywhere near the actual capacity of the winch. Its a bad argument, but its true. 2) Using a snatch block will double the pulling power of the winch, and is something that everyone should have in their winch kit. With that, a 6k winch becomes a 12k winch, its just twice as slow. 3) Is the frame and body of the Brat really gonna cope well with pulling a vehicle out that is significantly bigger? 4) The current draw of the bigger winches is quite a bit more then a smaller one, so you have to take that into account too.

With that in mind, the significant weight difference between an 8k and one of the smaller winches(especially with synthetic winch line) will make a big difference for the Brat. You'll still be able to get most of the pulling you need done, and have a much smaller and lighter form factor. The Harbor Freight 5500lb winch weighs 58 pounds with steel rope, so with synthetic line it will be about 10-20 pounds lighter. Its slow as heck, but will get the job done. They have deals where those go on sale fairly often, and then have the "no questions asked" warranty thing too. Food for thought.

JH

cfr
January 14th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Here's a used Tabor 9k for $200 on Craigslist. Will probably go fast.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1517628774.html

Mporter
January 14th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I know I'm looking at the EPi9.0 for my cruiser. I like the fact that it has the exact same warranty as Warn and it has a 3 year warranty on their sealed solenoids.

JeffX
January 15th, 2010, 09:42 AM
....An ATV winch might do the Brat just fine, but what if I ever had to pull someone else with it?.....

You won't be able to pull a truck out. You'll just drag the brat towards the recovery (unless fastened to a tree). God forbid you ever did use the 9K winch near it's limits, you'd probably just toast you battery.

To put a 100# winch on a little car is pure lunacy, IMO. I wish I could buy $50 winch to meet my needs.

Dan
January 15th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I know I'm looking at the EPi9.0 for my cruiser. I like the fact that it has the exact same warranty as Warn and it has a 3 year warranty on their sealed solenoids.

Good choice. That's what I have on mine and would recomend to anyone. Good power, good speed, Never failed! After my rollover, I used it to pull me out of the hole I was in...

Mporter
January 15th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the info Fred. It's nice to see/hear a good testimonial from a fellow cruiser owner (especially one with a 60 series), I know Superwinch can hold its own