PDA

View Full Version : Cool work truck

sunk
January 13th, 2010, 07:38 AM
So these are pics of a truck I was installing a radio into. I wouldnt mind having to take it out to a job site...

Andrew
January 13th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Nice. Did they drive it in on the road just like that?

I'm curious how those things handle at higher speeds on road, if that's even recommended...and how long those tracks would take to wear out.

sunk
January 13th, 2010, 07:45 AM
It looked like the track was made of really hard rubber, they did drive it in the parking lot. I dont think they drive it on the roads, they most likely trailer it to the site. It made a hell of a noise crossing the lot.

Funrover
January 13th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Fun!

Brody
January 13th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Here is the MatTrack link. It will probably give you all the information you want:

http://www.mattracks.com/

If they aren't MatTtracks, then they are really close to it. MatTracks is the company that is most in the news when it comes to after market tracks for vehicles, though there are a couple of other companies doing similar products.

Here is some fun, though. This is a link to the 400hp Subaru WRX Rally equipped with MatTracks at SEMA:

http://www.mattracks.com/html/latest_news.htm

And I had to throw this picture in so we could hear Aaron drool (He isn't the only one....)

KnuckleHead
January 13th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Looks cool.... they would be great for snow but what about mud? Also do they steer normal or like typical tracks do?

Brody
January 13th, 2010, 10:50 AM
From watching the Surburban the guy we were doing the multi million $ log home in Jefferson for drive his with the MatTracks, they seem to do well on anything except unconsolidated snow. He managed to get stuck quite a few times showing off in 4' drifts. We had to drag him out with a big D9 more than once...

As far as steering, they simply bolt on like your wheels do and steering isn't any different. Not like a CAT or other tracked rigs. They do cost about $5,000 per wheel, though. I remember when they first came out years ago and, although expensive, were nowhere near this much.

Andrew
January 13th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah I think the work well on the wetter and bit more packed stuff - it spreads out weight enough not to sink. But light powder I don't think it'll matter what you're sititin on.

Mporter
January 13th, 2010, 02:31 PM
It looks like they are MatTracks, you can see it on the left side (last pic) little fuzzy though.

Brody
January 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I would love to drive something like that, given a chance...

SCRubicon
January 14th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Hey Pete, where did you find a pic of my Pinz next to the cabin? :D

Funrover
January 14th, 2010, 05:13 PM

That is my new car! We were just out cruising the hills

I wish

Brody
January 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM

I thought that was yours. Now I just gotta remember where I took the picture so that you can recover it....

sunk
January 15th, 2010, 07:44 AM
It looks like they are MatTracks, you can see it on the left side (last pic) little fuzzy though.

I took the pic with my work camera, which takes forever to take the pic, so it is hard to get a good image...sorry

1freaky1
January 15th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Nice. Did they drive it in on the road just like that?

I'm curious how those things handle at higher speeds on road, if that's even recommended...and how long those tracks would take to wear out.

Not sure how fast they can handle Andrew but here is one example of how they handle at quicker speeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDNLUzjkpg

Mporter
January 15th, 2010, 02:25 PM
I took the pic with my work camera, which takes forever to take the pic, so it is hard to get a good image...sorry

It's cool. It was clear enough for me to discern the difference.

Patrolman
January 15th, 2010, 07:33 PM
This video is what sold me on the Cushman... Not to mention that one person can pick up either end enough to swing it 180 degrees by hand. No big issues getting stuck and it has a VERY low ground PSI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kClkG5-MN9k