PDA

View Full Version : Bunce Hill camping trip

Smash
January 17th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Hi guys! Got back to the house at 6pm. What a great weekend, exactly what the doctored ordered. Thanks to CR for showing us that awesome campsite and helping us all down the hill, Rob (pathy) for the wood, "old" Rob for actually working (he unhooked a tow strap :lmao:) and helping guide me down the hill, and Adam (sunk) for the camping company. :thunb: Weather was awesome, it was really warm for January!

The only really bad thing that happened was that I forgot my camera!! :mad::mad::mad:

I know CR and Adam got some shots, so post up!

Picked up a pizza on the way home, gonna sit and watch a movie with Karla. Will post up a few stories tomorrow.

Smash
January 17th, 2010, 07:14 PM
oh, and PS - sleeping in the back of a big old 'burb is TOTALLY AWESOME!! It was my first camp with the truck. Heck yeah!

Rusty
January 17th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Was nice and warm up there, good wheeling, was happy to help.

Fordguy77
January 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Sucks to hear about the camera, glad to hear that you had a great time thou! and glad to see the burbs treating ya well

Haku
January 17th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm super bummed that I missed out on this, but I'm sure there will be a chance to get out and do it again soon. Ended up working on the truck quite a bit on Saturday, and almost thought about coming up and seeing if I could find you guys, but decided not having an intact hub would be no fun up there. Can't wait to see pics though, and sorry I didn't make it. Would have been fun to snow bash again with you guys.

JH

Mporter
January 17th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Hah, I love (well not really) sleepin in the back of my cruiser. It's perfect length for me once the back seat is dropped.

SubaCool
January 17th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Smash, no camera means it doesn't count. Especially with your trips (and I don't care that somebody else had one, we all will just assume that any likenesses of you were photoshoped in) :p

Mporter
January 17th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Smash, no camera means it doesn't count.

I.E. pics or it didn't happen :D

Funrover
January 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Nice story, look forward to pics!

Brody
January 18th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Nice place to camp in the winter. We have camped up there before, too and managed to get some nice fun in the sun rock climbing. Not the best place to camp in the summer as it is so accessible and gets very crowded.

sunk
January 18th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Great trip, didnt wheel my truck any but the camping was great, is it January? I only got a few shots, and none of everyone...DR did you get any of the whole group? Thanks for the firewood Rob! Haku, we didnt even complete the loop, but it was a nice night to be out...
Im having problems uploading pics...Ill try again soon

sunk
January 18th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Sleeping in the back of the blazer...not as nice as a suburban

CR
January 18th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the pics Sunk.
I'll get some posted up later.
Great time with you guys on sat. That loop seemed like it had butter spread all over everything.

sunk
January 18th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Awesome camp site, the rocks next to us had points to clip in for climbing, my dog didnt need them...

Funrover
January 18th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Someone is gonna have to show me where that is at! BTW Adam is your dog part mtn goat? lol

SubaCool
January 18th, 2010, 10:24 AM
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9139&stc=1&d=1263826061
http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9142&stc=1&d=1263826305
Gotta say, nice photoshopping skills :lmao::p

+1 on the mountain goat dog. How the hell did he get up there?

Smash
January 18th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for posting those up Adam!

Funrover - I'll talk to Karla, see if she's cool with posting up when we go next, see if some FR4x4 guys want to go! Looks like our next free weekend is Feb 13-14. We don't celebrate valentine's day, so camping might be just the thing!

Funrover
January 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM
We'll get there!

Mporter
January 18th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Bumper looks great CR

Rob
January 18th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Only got a couple myself.

Brody
January 19th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Awesome camp site, the rocks next to us had points to clip in for climbing, my dog didnt need them...

This is an area that has a lot of rock climbing and gets very crowded during the summer time. I have done a bunch of climbing here over the years. The very first rock climbing routes were put up in the late 60s and there was a big route development increase that started in the 90s which accounts for the profusion of routes now. The rock your dog is on is the second largest formation, the biggest being roughly 200-250' high. You can see the biggest one from the road and the majority of the climbing routes are on the steeper N/NW side. The rock climbing routes range in grade from easy 5.5 stuff into the upper 5.12+/5.13- range, so there is something for all rock climbers, no matter the skill level. The majority of the routes aren't very long, so it doesn't have too much appeal for me, but they are fun if you are in the area.

No PSing there on the dog, there is a nice ramp that the dog can get up on. Still steep, so your dog has some developing climbing skills! When I had my Lab, he would end up on top of some of the climbs we did, sometimes pretty damn high and hard to get to. I would wonder how he got up there sometimes. I did an ascent with him in Tuolumne Meadows in Cali, with him on a leash/chest harness and me unroped, that was about 1200' and up to about 5.4 in rating. There were some people roped up on this that we passed and they looked at up pretty strangely..It was fun...