PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Front Range 4x4 Anniversary Run

Brody
January 18th, 2010, 06:26 AM
With March just around the corner, it is time to start planning for the 2010 FR anniversary run.

Trail suggestions are appreciated, but what has to be taken into consideration are these items:

The trail has to be OPEN.
The trail has to be accessible to bone stock rigs and inexperienced drivers.
The trail needs to have a large enough open area for parking for all the rigs. Keep in mind that we have had some pretty large turn outs...20 or more rigs.
It needs to be equal distance from Denver Metro and Colorado Springs.

We have done this on the ChinaWall trail the last couple of years as it fits these criteria.

Another thing that we have done is to get vendors involved for a raffle drawing. Not only have some vendors been more than generous for this, but it has also provided a good place to get rid of those old, but cool items in your garage that you are never going to get around to using.

JeffX
January 18th, 2010, 09:50 AM
.......It needs to be equal distance from Denver Metro and Colorado Springs......

This criterion may not be achievable as they've bulldozed damn near everything down here.

Watson Park might make sense, but I don't know if the R-Range gates will be open by then.

scout man
January 18th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I have no real input other than I really hope to make it this year now that I dont have that pesky job getting in the way of my weekend fun!

SubaCool
January 18th, 2010, 11:08 AM
The trail has to be accessible to bone stock rigs and inexperienced drivers.
Even though I don't think I meet either criteria, I'd like to make it. The OBW is not bone stock (it has a K&N airfilter), and I know how to drive (I think) :p

Kidding aside though, what trails are open in March? And what ratings then? 2? 3? 4? Looking at TD, looks like Rampart Range area would be smack-dab in the middle. Although we do have to think of our Northern CO friends too (FTC, Longmont) in which case the middle moves up towards I70.
From traildamage, in Rampart Range area, I saw Dakan rd which seems like a good candidate. It's long, mostly easy, but with challenging spots.
Around I70 is the Central City play area (i.e. Yankee Hill, Kingston, etc).

Haku
January 18th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I'm in too, baring getting a job or something. The one thing that would be cool is if we did a trail that is accessible by all, but has some challenging stuff off to the side. That is what was so great about Chinawall. Not sure if the rock piles and such are still off to the side or if they bulldozed those too. We do have a more guys from Longmont and Fort Collins now too, so we should think of them too, like Kubo said. Oh, and there is a 4th criteria, that being the trail has to be able to cope with 40+ rigs as well. We have more frequent members now then last year, and there was over 30 rigs on the trail that day, as I recall. Yankee Hill seemed to cope pretty well with large numbers of rigs when we did the joint Front Range and Rising Sun trip a couple months back. It also has some fun playgrounds off to the side. Assuming the snow isn't super deep, just about any vehicle on here should be able to make it up too. I know the Subaru guys go up there during the summer. Its also very close to be smack dab between the Southern and Norther guys.

JH

Brody
January 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Yankee Hill is a good suggestion providing it doesn't get tagged with a lot of snow. Air Randy's report of the recent run on this trail leads me to think that it would only be open for really set up rigs and March isn't going to get better.

Dakan Mountain is not. Dakan has been graded almost to the point of being paved and is nothing like what is posted on traildamage anymore. There is also so much private property (the reason for the grading and oiling...Oh..I guess I didn't mention the oiled road) that there are hardly any spots to pull off...Besides...you get to walk, Kubo...

ChinaWall probably gets the least amount of snow and stays the most accessible of all the trails that will work. It is also at a lower elevation and in an area that isn't known for big accumulations.

Keep tossing them out...

SubaCool
January 18th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Besides...you get to walk, Kubo...
I do? :confused:

Brody
January 18th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I do? :confused:

Well.....maybe....we'll take a vote as we get closer....I was going to say we will see based on your behavior and language, but realized I was probably going to shut myself out if I did:D

Just kiddin, anyway....

If you know of or are on good terms with some Subie after market places, see if they will kick something in for the raffle. I tend to bug everyone I know ...

Funrover
January 18th, 2010, 03:37 PM
The Gultches (Illinois and such) While it has only 1 obstacle it will be open and has room

JeffX
January 18th, 2010, 04:16 PM
The Gultches (Illinois and such) While it has only 1 obstacle it will be open and has room

Right or wrong, down here we call Hackett, Metberry and Longwater 'The Gulches'. Unfortunately, the loop on Hackett and Longwater is closed, so they're all three now out-and-back runs. Illinois, Missouri and Hotel Gulch area is also cool.

I think a Hackett run would be great, especially considering many of us haven't been there since the fire. I don't know if it's feasible for stockers.

Funrover
January 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Right or wrong, down here we call Hackett, Metberry and Longwater 'The Gulches'. Unfortunately, the loop on Hackett and Longwater is closed, so they're all three now out-and-back runs. Illinois, Missouri and Hotel Gulch area is also cool.

I think a Hackett run would be great, especially considering many of us haven't been there since the fire. I don't know if it's feasible for stockers.

True, normally I call that the Gulches also.

Brody
January 18th, 2010, 04:24 PM
This is a really good suggestion as I feel like all the Gulches are now stock 4x4 accessible. They didn't used to be, but with the trail work that has been done after the Hayman Fire, they are pretty casual. They are also not prone to getting a lot of snow as this whole area is kind of the banana belt, have normally good weather, and plenty of places for a large number of rigs. There is also that really big area down by the river at the bottom of Metberry. A hump for the folks up Ft Collins way, but I bet that there are a few people besides myself who can put some people up if they don't want to do the big drive.

Funrover
January 18th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Metberry would be awesome! I could take Jessicas Disco and have a good hang out down by the river at the end! I like that idea!

Mporter
January 18th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I have no real input other than I really hope to make it this year now that I dont have that pesky job getting in the way of my weekend fun!

Same here

scout man
January 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM
never been there but sounds like a great place to camp too? Just a thought.

Smash
January 18th, 2010, 08:54 PM
We have a spot in hayman that we like to camp, can accept a large group. Up by the trailhead, name escapes me.

If anyone up north needs a place to stay the night before we have a comfy futon.

Brody
January 19th, 2010, 05:14 AM
This area is down by Westcreek past Deckers on the way to Woodland Park and past Turkey Rock Estates. There are a lot of places to camp in this area as soon as you get into the actual Pike National Forest, pretty much anywhere you look and before the actual trailheads.

Andrew
January 19th, 2010, 08:34 AM
China Wall is a pretty far drive for me.

I would prefer something that isn't just a dirt road. I don't mind running the trails that are doable stock, but I'd like some optional things to play on along the way too.

I haven't been on China Wall since it was dozed - if it had those two rock areas off to the side to play on, plus the wall of course, it would be fine. Also, just past the wall there is a tougher area that leads down towards a creek I believe, and an alternate way in/out. It was pretty rocky so I'm not sure if they dozed that or not.

Brody
January 19th, 2010, 09:03 AM
China Wall is a pretty far drive for me.

I would prefer something that isn't just a dirt road. I don't mind running the trails that are doable stock, but I'd like some optional things to play on along the way too.

I haven't been on China Wall since it was dozed - if it had those two rock areas off to the side to play on, plus the wall of course, it would be fine. Also, just past the wall there is a tougher area that leads down towards a creek I believe, and an alternate way in/out. It was pretty rocky so I'm not sure if they dozed that or not.

Yeah, that rocky area is part of FS 204 which I think got closed off. I believe that (I haven't been on it since they screwed it up either...oh thank you SO much FS), but from what I have been able to gather is that they only did the 'let's F*** up the trail' part way in and left all of the obstacles as is farther back in. That was one of the nice things about that trail is that it wasn't just a dirt (oo la la dirt road =wheeling) road. Metberry, Hacket Mtn and Longwater are decent, but present no real challenges to other than a stock rig. Still fun, though.

Extending our offer of a place to stay overnight, coming or going, if that helps.

scout man
January 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM
i do think some optional challenges is important, not only so those of use that want to have some fun can, but also keep in mind those with stock rigs dont have much oportunity to see the heavier built rigs in action, as they usually cant go on the trails we do. I think for a beginning wheeler or someone with a stock rig it can be a valuable experience to see driving techniques and rig capabilities on a playground of some sort. Of course, it is also very important that anyone can run this trail as it is as much, if not more so, a social outting than a wheeling trip.

Dan
January 19th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I'd sure like to go to see everyone again, but am afraid my options are my work truck or my dirt bike. Neither would be desirable for a run. Or maybe I will be able to meet at a trailhead and ride with someone.

Brody
January 19th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Or maybe I will be able to meet at a trailhead and ride with someone.

You would be more than welcome to. You won't be the first FR person to have done this....HEHEHE....

gm4x4lover
January 19th, 2010, 08:40 PM
What about meeting in the bv area? I think their are a few trails that would be open and it would give some of the guys a chance to break into smaller groups and run different stuff by difficulty. Could meet for an early lunch and then split off.

Smash
January 19th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Keep in mind BV is a good hike for those of us from Denver, a pretty big trip for those coming from further north. A few have expressed a desire to keep this as central as possible, I agree.

Rob
January 19th, 2010, 09:14 PM
a pretty big trip for those coming from further north

Yep. BV or the Gulches or someplace south might work for me if it's a Saturday and we start really, really early. But I hate getting up at 4 a.m. and driving for two or three hours before I see dirt. Unless someone brings a truck full of lard cakes.

Haku
January 19th, 2010, 11:08 PM
We could make it a full weekend and do some camping. Lots of places around Buena Vista to camp that would be central to a couple trails. Will still be a bit cold, but not something that most couldn't deal with. Head up Saturday morning and come home Sunday or something like that.

JH

Brody
January 20th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Buena Vista would be too far and there aren't going to be many trails other than OCG that are going to be open. A good percentage of the BV trails are high altitude trails which don't even open up until sometime in June. This and the drive time would put this area way down at the bottom of the list.

The Gulches are no farther away than China Wall, being only a little over a hours drive from either the Springs or Denver....that is if you do not follow Wells or traildamage instruction and actually go the faster way instead of the tediously boring and incredibly long Sedalia way. The best way from Denver is Hwy 285 to Pine Junction, though Deckers. The best way from the Springs is Hwy24 to Woodland park, then towards Deckers. About the same amount of drive time each way.

So far we have two areas that are going to be feasible, the Gulches and China wall. Both of these areas will have little snow, probably good weather, will be accessible to all of the rigs that people drive here on the forum, provide large areas where we can park a large group and have plenty of places to camp for the people for those who want to do so. They are both situated about 1/2 way between Colorado Springs and Denver Metro, leaving on the people from Ft Collins other northern areas with a longer drive, These folks can be put up in Denver with various members easily enough. I would suggest Metberry myself if the consensus is for the gulches as it is the easiest of the three.

Let's settle on one of these two areas (China Wall or Metberry Gulch) and get it on the calendar. I have asked Chris to start a poll for either China Wall or Metberry Gulch. Please post your preference when the poll is up. Thanks. February 1, 2010 is the deadline for choices.

In addition to this, please start thinking about the raffle. Start stashing the parts for anything that you aren't ever going to use that you want to see have a good home. People involved with different after market folks, whatever the brand, get in touch with the supplier and see if they want to contribute, even if it is only some stickers.

I am going to contribute one of my Hi Lift accessories and will get in touch with the following to see if they want to donate:

Yoda Jims, Davez Performance Toyota, High Country 4x4, Englewood Drive Shaft and AA Performance Muffler and Brakes, Addicted Off Road, and Arvada Auto Tech.

Brody
January 20th, 2010, 12:58 PM
This is now on the calendar for March 27, 2010. This is a Saturday to allow for members who go to church t make this run.

Smash
January 20th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Awesome, I'll get it on the calendar. We will likely be camping with the dogs.

I will keep my eye out for stuff for the raffle, but would probably be camping gear, that sort of thing, rather than car stuff. Unless anyone wants the FOUL carpet I just pulled out from under the second row seats in the burb..... *barf

Brody
January 20th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Extra camping stuff works, too. It doesn't have to 4x4 related. You wouldn't believe the stuff that came out of garages last year....

Smash
January 20th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Lol ok sounds good. I'll make sure everything is usable condition atleast................................ O:- )

Pathrat
January 20th, 2010, 09:49 PM
About Metberry, which I voted for, it is a long dirt road in and if there is some snow there will be some challenge.

I like sleep. I don't like getting up at 0-dark-thirty. I would like to set up a meeting spot that is NOT at 8am, unless it is my driveway.

Haku
January 20th, 2010, 09:55 PM
About Metberry, which I voted for, it is a long dirt road in and if there is some snow there will be some challenge.

I like sleep. I don't like getting up at 0-dark-thirty. I would like to set up a meeting spot that is NOT at 8am, unless it is my driveway.

I agree, anyone feel like camping out the night before so we can sleep till everyone else gets there? Looks like there are a few fun spots to provide some challenge and such too.

JH

scout man
January 20th, 2010, 10:00 PM
I agree, anyone feel like camping out the night before so we can sleep till everyone else gets there? Looks like there are a few fun spots to provide some challenge and such too.

JH
I am hopefully in for camping either the night before, the night after, or both.

Smash
January 20th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Will have to see what our schedules look like as we get closer (might even be a day of decision), but we will ba camping as much as possible that weekend.

Pathrat - karla and I just laughed so hard at your comment we had to get kleenex! LOL.

Pathrat
January 21st, 2010, 10:01 PM
Pathrat - karla and I just laughed so hard at your comment we had to get kleenex! LOL.

Always happy to provide some amusement. :)
My husband, Gatemonkey, said he would make coffee and bake a ButterBraid.

Smash
January 22nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BlackRubi
January 22nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
I should be in for camping the night before. It'll still depend on what I find jobwise. I'll still be getting an Army paycheck, so that's good, but I hope to have a job before that.

Chris
January 22nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
If you want to be able to add RSVP's to this it needs to be in the Planned Runs section.

Brody
January 22nd, 2010, 02:25 PM
In there now, couldn't set up the RSVP.

Chris
January 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
There's no RSVP to set up, it's done automatically on the first post in all Planned Trail Runs.

WINKY
January 22nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
does the list show up under the first post?

Chris
January 22nd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Yes, first post of Planned Trail Runs only.

dr350jja
January 24th, 2010, 10:46 PM
It's tough to find a trail that's not gated closed at that time of year; or one that's still passable and not buried under snow pack. :rolleyes:

WINKY
January 25th, 2010, 03:10 PM
heck if you want sufferage, give me a hammer on a bad day and step in line :D

Chris
January 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM
We need to get out there and introduce a little bit of suffering in our adventures to make them memorable.

I choose vicarious suffering Dave. :D

Dan
January 25th, 2010, 04:41 PM
We need to get out there and introduce a little bit of suffering in our adventures to make them memorable.

I would recommend limiting it to vehicular suffering... Its only memorable if you live to remember it! :lmao:

Pathrat
January 25th, 2010, 09:39 PM
It looks like we have determined that only Nay should suffer. Thanks for taking one for the team! :D

89blaze
January 26th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Maybe by March the blaze will be up and ready Can't wait. let you know
89blaze

gm4x4lover
January 26th, 2010, 09:47 PM

It sees like every run i do with you ends up this way.:fing::lmao:

Roostercruiser
January 26th, 2010, 10:35 PM
im in no matter what or where it is. it will be most likely my first run of the year. im gonna take off work that friday cuz i usaully get in late on saturday mornings. it wil give me a chance to get my truk ready. im lookinh forward to this. i really enjoy hangin out with yall.

WINKY
January 26th, 2010, 10:56 PM
it will be good to have ya there Roland!

transplant87
January 26th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Ok so i have no clue wats going on and i might be able to make it if i can fix my oil leak and get some cash.

Brody
January 27th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Ok so i have no clue whats going on .

We are doing an anniversary run on March 27th to either Metberry Gulch or China Wall. It is our second anniversary run.Those trails are being voted on on the Anniversary Run Poll.

What more do you need to know and what don't you understand?

white collar redneck dad
January 28th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Yahoo -- sounds fun

Smash
January 29th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Sweet, will be nice to see some folks I haven't seen in a while and meet some new ones.

Raffle item #1 from me showed up today, I'm looking for more.

4runner freak
January 29th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I'm hoping the 4runner will be able to make a dual tranny inaugural run in March.
We'll see if I can make it.

Brody
January 29th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Happy to give a hand is we can coordinate times and if I have gas $$, now that Bear had jacked himself again...