PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day - Bunce School Wheel and Camp

Smash
January 19th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Karla and I think Valentine's Day is a bunch of hoey, and every year we do something distinctly "un-hallmark" for the occasion. :lmao:

This year, Karla's itching to go camping and really wants to check out the Bunce School area. She saw the pictures from last weekend and can't wait!

So, we're going to head up Saturday morning for some wheeling on Bunce School Road (and Ironclads if other people come, we won't do that alone) and camp Saturday night. Lazy day Sunday, will head out Sunday afternoon. Again, this isn't a romantic weekend for us. Karla agrees, this would be a fun group outing!

Barring a serious snow storm that makes it literally impossible to get up there, this trip will be on no matter the weather.

We will be bringing our dogs, so please alert me if you plan to bring yours. I do not mind tying Luke up (very dog aggressive) but please if you bring your dog make sure he is under good voice control so that he will not antagonize Luke. Otherwise, please keep your dog leashed. Thanks!

Meet Date: Saturday, February 13th
Meet Time: 10am
Meet Location: Diamond Shamrock in Lyons (across from motorcycle store)

RockyMtnHigh
January 19th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Nevermind.

scout man
January 19th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I'll talk with the fiance, we might be interested in this. Never really been into the Vday thing either, and she does like camping. If we come the dog will be involved, but we certainly have no problem tying her up out of the reach of luke.

AccordRanger
January 19th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Ill see if the girlfriend will go. Not sure on the camping but im sure she will atleast wanna do some wheeling.

Haku
January 22nd, 2010, 12:39 AM
The Camp Dick side is locked, and will be till the snow goes away. The Bunce School end tends to be open all year round, as well as Ironclads. We did a snow bashing run right before it started to melt last year, and it was open. Some guys went up there last weekend and had no problem. You can't get to the turnoff for Plane Crash, since the gate is closed before that.

I'm in for camping, since I missed out last time. Hopefully I'm not the only single person there....since its Single Persons Awareness day. Should be fun.

JH

Smash
January 22nd, 2010, 07:51 AM
Yep, Haku's got it right.

dsw4x4 - PLEASE COME!!! Really really really want to see that van of yours....

Aaahhh, good old single awareness day. Karla and I would love to support you in that celebration. :lol:

Smash
January 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
don't forget to RSVP. :)

Brody
January 26th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Looks like Josh got the other thread deleted before I did.

As a suggestion, why don't you guys bring your snowshoes, drive Bunce School as far as you can, to the gate if you get that far, and then snowshoe into the T33A plane crash site? Should be kinda cool and I bet it hasn't seen too much traffic of any kind. Easy snowshoe for the most part with minimal uphill.. Almost everyone who goes up to this area to x ski or snowshoe usually goes for the Middle St Vrain drainage via Camp Dick.Another option if you can get into the Ironclads is to do the hill at the top of the trail and snowshoes around to the top where you can see Longs and Meeker from the backside. Pretty cool up there, too, but I would opt for the T33A over this option.

I you have some interest going on for the snowshoe part and folks need some shoes, I have two pairs shoes and poles people can use. Let me know.

Rusty
January 26th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Pete if you wouldn't mind, I would like to use a pair/set. I haven't been snowshoeing in ages.

Smash
January 26th, 2010, 05:38 PM
We will bring our snowshoes for sure.

Brody
January 26th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Pete if you wouldn't mind, I would like to use a pair/set. I haven't been snowshoeing in ages.

No problem Rob. Let me know when you would like to pick them up if you want them beforehand or I can easily get them Ash and Karlas. They live about 10 minutes away. Leaves me one set for anyone else...actually two sets, but I forgot that one set I modified to fit my plastic double winter ice climbing mountaineering boots so that is about all they they'll fit. Andrew found that out when I loaned then to him and they wouldn't stay on his Sorrels very well. He has the same size feet, it is just that the double boots are similar to downhill boots with laces....

So one set left if anyone else that is going wants to borrow them.

Smash
January 26th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah, as we get closer I can definitely come pick up however many sets. Thanks Pete!

white collar redneck dad
January 28th, 2010, 03:10 AM
....since its Single Persons Awareness day. Should be fun.

JH

Singles Persons Awareness Day --- very classic -- how cool

Rusty
January 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I'll be bringing plenty of firewood, probably do a couple trips or if some have room to load. I got WAY TOO much from work. The other day I completely under estimated how much wood I put out side to bring home and over estimated how much cargo space I have in the pathfinder. Make a long story longer, it took me 4 trips from Boulder and my entire garage is full of wood. Gonna bundle it all probably take me all weekend, that and hopefully putting on the lift kit. Might go up to Bunce/Ironclads/ or Left Hand Sunday to find some sun and have a fire if anyone wants to join? I think CR, fiance, myself and gf Kris are going?

Haku
January 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM
If I'm not completely worn out from wheeling tomorrow at Eagle Rock, I'd be up for a trip to Left Hand or Bunce. Probably prefer LHC over Bunce myself.

JH

white collar redneck dad
January 29th, 2010, 08:03 PM
If I'm not completely worn out from wheeling tomorrow at Eagle Rock, I'd be up for a trip to Left Hand or Bunce. Probably prefer LHC over Bunce myself.

JH

UP for LHC trip mid to late Feb? Id like to get a pole of saturday or sunday trip? some people need several weeks to plan...Im up for going back to LHC again ---

how and where did you roll your rig?

Haku
January 29th, 2010, 09:33 PM
UP for LHC trip mid to late Feb? Id like to get a pole of saturday or sunday trip? some people need several weeks to plan...Im up for going back to LHC again ---

how and where did you roll your rig?

Charlie, Please keep this discussion to one thread. It gets really confusing if you ask the same question in three or more different threads. I'll be deleting them in the future, so please keep that in mind when you are posting. That goes for everybody obviously.

JH

Haku
January 29th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I'll be bringing plenty of firewood, probably do a couple trips or if some have room to load. I got WAY TOO much from work. The other day I completely under estimated how much wood I put out side to bring home and over estimated how much cargo space I have in the pathfinder. Make a long story longer, it took me 4 trips from Boulder and my entire garage is full of wood. Gonna bundle it all probably take me all weekend, that and hopefully putting on the lift kit. Might go up to Bunce/Ironclads/ or Left Hand Sunday to find some sun and have a fire if anyone wants to join? I think CR, fiance, myself and gf Kris are going?

Make this LHC trip its own thread, as its less confusing and you'll get more interest.

JH

Smash
January 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Rob - sweet about the firewood! I can come by your place on the way to Bunce. No lack of haul space here. :lol:

Brody
January 30th, 2010, 05:18 AM
It gets really confusing if you ask the same question in three or more different threads. I'll be deleting them in the future, so please keep that in mind when you are posting. That goes for everybody obviously.

OK...this has been posted many, many time, so if anyone is interested in planning a new trail run and wants to generate interest for it, how about posting it in the proper section: TRAIL RUN PLANNING, instead of pasting it in a mess of other threads. It gets very confusing.

Help keep the confusion level down and post new trail run suggestions where they are supposed to go. People who are interested will respond....or they wont. That is exactly what the ''Trail Run Planning "section is for

And, as HAKU said, if they are posted in the wrong place, don't expect to see them the next time you look, as they will be deleted.

Smash
February 3rd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Bump for a fun trip. :)

96FullSize
February 3rd, 2010, 04:28 PM
You guys think my mostly stock 96 Bronco would be suitable for this run?

CR
February 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
More than suitable.
There is something for everyone up there, and plenty of places to turn around if you're not comfortable.

Smash
February 3rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
Heck yeah you'll be just fine!

mikem
February 3rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
I'm interested in this trip, but I will not be able to camp. Is anyone planning on returning on Saturday afternoon?

Mike

BlueMoonMobile
February 4th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Meet Date: Saturday, February 13th Meet Time: 10am Meet Location: Diamond Shamrock in Lyons (across from motorcycle store)

Hey there, I'm new to the area, is there an address I could use to find the Lyons Shamrock?? Is there a specific road I could stay on to find it?

Thanks

Haku
February 5th, 2010, 12:13 AM
The Diamond Shamrock is just before you hit City limits in Lyons actually. If you can get to Lyons, its waaay easy to spot as you drive into town. There is a Motorcylcle shop right next door to it, and you'll probably see a bunch of offroad rigs there.

JH

BlueMoonMobile
February 5th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Thanks!! sounds easy enough

Brody
February 5th, 2010, 05:56 AM
[QUOTE=BlueMoonMobile;85522]Hey there, I'm new to the area, is there an address I could use to find the Lyons Shamrock?? Is there a specific road I could stay on to find it?Thanks[/QUOTE

There are only two gas stations in Lyons with the Diamond Shamrock being the biggest. It is on the south(left) side of the road on the main street just before you get into Lyons proper. Hard to miss as there is usually a big crowd of people there as it is a pretty standard meeting place.

Hwy 7 (Foothills Hwy) out of Boulder heading towards Lyons. At the light (junction of Hwy7 and Hwy34) in Lyons go left. Gas station is roughly 1/3 mile on your left side. From Ute Highway, Colo66 heading west from Loveland/Longmont, stay on 66 until it turns into Hwy34 at the light and simply continue straight. The gas station actually has a Longmont address if you google 'Diamond Shamrock Lyons Colorado.

Hope you have fun on this run! Fun trail and a good group of folks going ...

BlueMoonMobile
February 6th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Awesome!! Thanks! Shouldn't have a problem getting there. I'm sure I'll have a great time...my first Colorado Run!!! Gonna plan to camp too so I'm revved!!

Brody
February 6th, 2010, 05:52 AM
If you haven't done much winter camping, take a look at this thread:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?6237-Your-First-Aid-Kit&highlight=aid

I added some tips to Andrew's frostbite post from my 40 years experience doing winter stuff. If you have any other questions, ask. Staying warm and dry winter camping is the key to having fun...

96FullSize
February 6th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I'm interested in this trip, but I will not be able to camp. Is anyone planning on returning on Saturday afternoon?

Mike

Mike,

I am not planning on camping, I dont have the gear for it. So if you want we can caravan back down together.

Rusty
February 6th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I think is going to be more "camping" minded however hopefully the snow we get this week wont hinder our chances of getting some good wheeling in. Do you need help getting back somewhere?

mikem
February 6th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I am not planning on camping, .... So if you want we can caravan back down together.

Good Deal.

BlueMoonMobile
February 7th, 2010, 01:19 PM
If you haven't done much winter camping, take a look at this thread:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?6237-Your-First-Aid-Kit&highlight=aid

I added some tips to Andrew's frostbite post from my 40 years experience doing winter stuff. If you have any other questions, ask. Staying warm and dry winter camping is the key to having fun...

Thanks for the reminder.:) I haven't camped in Colorado but New Mexico gets dam cold too. I think I'll be alright... not sure about my pup though....I have to work outside no matter what the weather is like so I have some good gear(waterproof, breathable, insulated everything:fing:). One thing i couldn't find was the Under Armor Lining Socks you mentioned...sounds like a good idea to keep a pair in my vehicle... I went to the gobros web site and the socks I found said nothing about being waterproof/breathable...??? I'll be going to REI this comming week to get a foot print for my tent, maybe they will have them there?

BlueMoonMobile
February 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM
We will be bringing our dogs, so please alert me if you plan to bring yours. I do not mind tying Luke up (very dog aggressive) but please if you bring your dog make sure he is under good voice control so that he will not antagonize Luke. Otherwise, please keep your dog leashed. Thanks! I would like to bring my pup...She's really sweet. I can keep her away from Luke for sure...is he better with females? Is he neutered?

wyota
February 7th, 2010, 01:52 PM
here's the address to the gas station
4206 Ute Highway
Longmont, CO 80503-9125

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=40.216089,-105.256171&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=17&sll=40.215783,-105.256137&sspn=0.00408,0.009645&ie=UTF8&ll=40.170479,-104.955139&spn=0.522586,1.234589&t=h&z=10

itsme1738
February 7th, 2010, 03:40 PM
i will see if i can make that....if im not working im there!

AccordRanger
February 7th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Well im out stuck working.:(

Brody
February 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the reminder.:). One thing i couldn't find was the Under Armor Lining Socks you mentioned...sounds like a good idea to keep a pair in my vehicle... I went to the gobros web site and the socks I found said nothing about being waterproof/breathable...???

Liner socks are just that...a thing sock to go under your regular sock, preferably synthetic. Under Armor's lightweight socks fit that bill. The better waterproof/breathable socks are called SealSkins, though quite a few other companies make similar products. The newer style VBL socks are made from Gor Tex or similar product and work OK. If you work or play outside in the winter and nasty weather, you already know that nothing on the planet, no matter how much it costs, is truly 'waterproof AND breathable'....

Smash
February 8th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I would like to bring my pup...She's really sweet. I can keep her away from Luke for sure...is he better with females? Is he neutered?

Hey there, sorry, I'm never online on the weekends.

He is neutered, both of my kids are. They are both rescues. Luke spent 6 years on the street then another year stuck in a no-kill shelter (they didn't even take him out of his "kennel"), which turned him very dog aggressive. Doesn't seem to matter the sex of the other dog. I can definitely keep him tied up if other dogs will be present.

Smash
February 8th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I'm totally psyched about this. Should have the interior done thurs/fri, just waiting on a warmer, sunny day so the adhesive will work. Everything is cut, 3/4 of the reflectix is already in.

Also, my first new pair of winter boots in 5 years should be here just in time. I unfortunately had to send the first pair back for a bigger size.

I don't have any fancy socks or underarmor gear (man that stuff is expensive), so you can definitely make do without it. I'm an experienced winter camper, so if anyone needs a hand while we're up there just ask.

Brody
February 8th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I don't have any fancy socks or underarmor gear (man that stuff is expensive), so you can definitely make do without it.

Yes it is...I try to balance the longevity with the expense. I have three sets of UA and pretty much live, work and play in them during all the cold months. They get very abused and washed often. None of them have gotten any holes from normal use, only from welding and oddball through the layers into the skin gashes and cuts. All 3 sets are going on 5 years old and look to be good for at least another 3. These have beat every piece of polypro, capiline, or other hi dollar fabric long underwear I have ever used all across the board...

After spending all day ice climbing, multi days ice climbing, or doing multi day winter rock and ice climbs, you start to look for gear that works and ignore the pricing. That is where my advice comes from, not necessarily from a fun winter camping point of view. I agree that you do not need the high dollar stuff for most fun winter playing..40 years of doing the semi fun winter hard core stuff has left me with quite an accumulation of expensive junk.

You hardly see any factory seconds on these and gobros has the best prices we have ever found.

Smash
February 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Oh heck yeah, not staying they aren't worth it! I have yet to hear a complaint from underarmor customers. I just don't have the cash to buy it. Believe me, when I do, I will. Great motorcycling gear.

Smash
February 8th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Does anyone need me to run over to Brody's to grab snowshoes?

greenramp
February 8th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Not bashing UA but if i don't say something then my wife will prob shoot me. Check out Nike Pro. It is the original under garment and came out before UA. Nike actually supplys it to MLB for many years now. Once they came out with it, UA saw an opening and grabbed up the NFL contract making them more recognizable but not the original.
It is vastly less expensive and available at most Nike Outlets (Castle Rock, CO Mills, Silverthorne, Loveland, etc...) It even has characteristics made for specialty sports i.e. Football, baseball, snowboarding, etc...

For those in the dark my wife works for Nike. My wife loves all the products and Nike is rather large in alot of venues. A little trivia:
Nike owns
Converse
Hurley
Baur (sold)
Umbro
Cole Haan
Savier (sold)

they are starting to expand the 6.0 lines for Snowboarding, motocross, racing (nascar), and climbing.
anyway, said my part and please don't respond with the typical child labor rhetoric that happened in 1996 that all shoe manufacturers were guilty of.

My :2c:

Brody
February 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
anyway, said my part and please don't respond with the typical child labor rhetoric that happened in 1996 that all shoe manufacturers were guilty of.My :2c:

HEHE Children work cheap in those 3rd world countries. Nike just took the most heat because of their big name..I didn't know that about the Nike Pro stuff or Nike/UA.

You should post her stuff in member skills/local vendors if there is a way for people to buy it directly. You didn't say what her relationship is with Nike, so I don't know...

greenramp
February 8th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Her relationship with Nike is in the store management arena. Not something that the consumer can really benifit from directly. She really does believe in the product to a point of scariness though, and has been with Nike for a litttle over 10 years now.

Smash
February 8th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Hey thanks for the heads up! Next time we're at the outlets down in Castle Rock we'll go check it out. I had no idea! Might be the way for me to get some of that awesome gear at a price I can swallow. Appreciate it.

Smash
February 8th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Ok, looks like it's just Haku and I? If you're planning on going please RSVP on the calendar link here: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=164&day=2010-2-13&c=1 that way I know who to look for at the gas station.

Rusty, are you in? If so, do you want me to drop by your place and help haul some wood? If you're not coming, can I drop by and pick up a bunch? It's gonna be chilly, will want a good long fire Saturday night and maybe another Sunday morning. I don't have a chainsaw (yet), so will be burning mostly what we can get from you.

Rusty
February 8th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Ok, looks like it's just Haku and I? If you're planning on going please RSVP on the calendar link here: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=164&day=2010-2-13&c=1 that way I know who to look for at the gas station.

Rusty, are you in? If so, do you want me to drop by your place and help haul some wood? If you're not coming, can I drop by and pick up a bunch? It's gonna be chilly, will want a good long fire Saturday night and maybe another Sunday morning. I don't have a chainsaw (yet), so will be burning mostly what we can get from you.

I didnt even know me coming was in question. You can drop by on your way to Lyons, i'll already have all my stuff loaded including wood. We'll load you up then head to lyons should only take 5 minutes. There's only 3 of us going now?Kris (gf) isn't coming any more, she has to work so......more cargo space. Oh bye the way, Rusty will be rocking the news Swampers going on tomorrow! :eek:

Haku
February 8th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Whoo hooo..........which set of Swampers did you get?

I'm still in for sure, and I'd be happy to meet at Rob's place to pick up wood too. More we bring, the bigger the fire right?

JH

Rusty
February 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM
TSL's with about 25% thread left, some chunking here and there but damn perfect. I always wanted a set so these were perfect, they came on black 5x10's they were the ones with the 3.75" offset. He actually had a Pro Comp Xtterain with over half thread left too that he through in, that's on a "fake" beadlock. Fair price for all 5 though. We put on the pass. front, unfortunately it hit rear of fender at 3/4 full turn. Bring on the sawsall, LET"S GO CAMPING!9647

Rusty
February 8th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Whoo hooo..........which set of Swampers did you get?

I'm still in for sure, and I'd be happy to meet at Rob's place to pick up wood too. More we bring, the bigger the fire right?

JH
Exactly, I'll have more than we can haul. Or do I?

Rob
February 8th, 2010, 09:59 PM
We put on the pass. front, unfortunately it hit rear of fender at 3/4 full turn. Bring on the sawsall,

Cut too much rust out and you'll have to change your forum name again. :fing:

Haku
February 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Right on dude, those will be way better then the street tires you had one there. Bring on the bashing and cutting.

I'm willing to bet we could fit more wood into our rigs then you have, but not sure that it would be safe nor desirable. Bring on the Bonfire. You guys want to go in on food together?

JH

Smash
February 8th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I'm not one for a bonfire for safety reasons. So let's please keep it controlled? Karla and I will be by your place beforehand, I think I still have the address.

Sweet setup with the tires! Looking forward to seeing how she does this time around. Should be more snow to play in for sure.

We have our food covered already.

So, anybody else coming?

Brody
February 9th, 2010, 07:58 AM
X2 on the bonfire stuff. Always a bad idea, no matter the conditions. I have friends that I never go with anymore because they seem to think that a camping trip revolves around a 20' tall fire that you have to stand back away from. This ends up being both embarrassing and pretty damn stupid. These are the same clowns that are helping to shut down parts of Utah by going down there with a trailer of pallets, having a huge party and a huge 'bonfire'. I have always thought that a huge bonfire was a classic example of people who were outside and didn't know f**k all about what they were doing. No need to advertise the fact in my book...Hopefully this was just a term used and wasn't really meant to be serious.

Keep in mind that there is a lot of wood throughout that area and a lot of standing dead aspen. It just doesn't happen to be near the campspots which are picked clean

Smash
February 9th, 2010, 08:19 AM
We were able to find some pine deadfall not too far away. I'm always one to rather pack in wood than use deadfall, so will go scavenging if need be.

Smash
February 9th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Hey guys if you're coming please RSVP!! http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=164&day=2010-2-13&c=1

scout man
February 9th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I think when Haku said Bonfire he meant, camping fire large enough to provide some warmth. He wasnt talking about a 20' tall fire, that just isnt him at all. Just an interchangable term that must have different meaning for different people. I dont think you guys have to worry about safety or embarassment, you are all smart people.

As much as I would love to come on this I dont think it is going to happen. Partially because my scout isnt ready for mountain travel, and partially because I think the gf isnt all that interested. It may change tho, you never know. But I certainly wouldnt count on me.

Smash
February 9th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I agree Steve, I don't think he meant that either, but, always best to say something. Haku knows I wasn't insulting his intelligence. I'll do that to his face! :lol: :lol: :lol:

brian pleasant
February 9th, 2010, 10:58 AM
we really want to go, the jeep is in the shop at longmont. we ordered genright front tube fender flares, front bumpers, order new hardtop. love camping in colorado nothing like florida by wide margin! i am very skepty about using my truck on trail again lol

Smash
February 9th, 2010, 11:01 AM
The area where we'll camp is pretty dang easy to get to. You'll want 4x4 and might get slick depending on what kind of snow they got, but stock clearance should do just fine.

brian pleasant
February 9th, 2010, 11:28 AM
smash thanks for the info might consider going. after core i have new heavy duty driveshaft! and new front warn locking hubs....maybe go...

Brody
February 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I said that about the bonfire mainly as a general purpose 'let's not be going this direction' kinda thing, rather than any finger pointing. Josh has too much common sense to do the huge bonfire bit.

scout man
February 9th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Josh has too much common sense to do the huge bonfire bit.

Wow, he has you all fooled then! :lmao: :lmao::lmao: just kidding, Josh is pretty responsible.

Haku
February 9th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Wow, he has you all fooled then! :lmao: :lmao::lmao: just kidding, Josh is pretty responsible.

hahaa.......I was gonna say that too. I do find it amusing that I find myself the voice of reason in a group sometimes.

Yeah, I wasn't saying we should make a humongous fire, but soemthing of reasonable size is nice to have. The last couple camping trips I've been on, we had to scrounge for wood and the fire was smaller then I like. Its nice to have more then you need in my experience.

Anybody else coming on this?

JH

Smash
February 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Rusty still hasn't figured out the RSVP option. :lol:

CR
February 9th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I think Rusty's internet is jacked up, but he is going for sure.
I'm in for saturday wheelin, but have to be back by the evening.

BTW, Watch out for the new trail ready Pathy! It looks Sweeeet!

Rob
February 9th, 2010, 09:15 PM
BTW, Watch out for the new trail ready Pathy! It looks Sweeeet!

I'll bet it's gonna wheel sweet, too.

Smash
February 9th, 2010, 09:18 PM
You gonna come watch Rob? :lol:

Rob
February 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Nah, I'm on hiatus for a while. I've wheeled a lot in the past few months. I think I'm gonna tune up the 40 this weekend and change the oil in the diffs. UPS just delivered everything I need, so I want to get it done while it's still cold out.

But I'm sure you guys will post lots of pics and videos when you get back. Right? :fing:

Brody
February 10th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Hey Rob

You ought to post a thread in the Tech 'how to' section on the diff/tranny/t case fluid change. Simple as it seems, many people do not know how to do this. You should know as this is going to be your first time. Wouldn't hurt to have a nice 'how to' as the same principles apply to anything except an automatic tranny....

Remember to heat the diff oil up as hot as you can get it before trying to push it though a pump. Don't want you bulking up like Arnie...And if you have to drop the diff covers like I think you do on yours, loosen the bolts at the bottom first, then work you way around to the top. Run the bottom bolts and the first couple up the sides out more than the top ones, then pry the diff cover loose from the bottom so that it drains. You won't end up wearing as much of the diff oil that way...Also check the color of the fluids. If it has turned a brownish color, it will mean that you have gotten water in there somehow and may want to add some extended breather lines. I extended the back one as you know, but didn't touch the front.

Tee Hee
February 10th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Very outside chance I could make it up for the day Saturday. Been waiting on a part for my truck (actually been waiting for 2 weeks!) if it gets here in time I will try to get it together and be there. If not have a great time!

itsme1738
February 10th, 2010, 05:37 PM
i stilll dont know if im working or not!....sorry i cant rsvp

Rob
February 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
You ought to post a thread in the Tech 'how to' section on the diff/tranny/t case fluid change. Simple as it seems, many people do not know how to do this. You should know as this is going to be your first time. Wouldn't hurt to have a nice 'how to' as the same principles apply to anything except an automatic tranny....

Will do. One thing though. I'm probably just going to do the diffs this weekend. I might not get to the tranny and T-case.

And, luckily, the diffs on the 40 have 24mm fill plugs. I have new gaskets, so I just need to run out and get the oil.Should be quick and easy, as long as I can get the plugs loose. I should start hosing them down with PBB tomorrow to get them ready.

Red Rhino
February 11th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Saturday just opened up for me. I would like to come back down with Saturday return Caravan. I will RSVP. Look forward to meeting you all.

Bryan

Smash
February 11th, 2010, 12:50 PM
awesome!

Smash
February 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hey CR/Rusty, what time do you guys want us to be at your place to grab wood? If you don't need a hand let me know, quicker for me to get to lyons if I don't come to your place.

CR
February 12th, 2010, 07:12 AM
You tell me smash. It would be great if you wanted to come help load up. Maybe a half hour before the meet in Lyons?

Smash
February 12th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Sounds good! We'll be there.

Smash
February 12th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Looks like we might get some snow sat night/sunday! woohoo!!

96FullSize
February 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
This is probably a stupid question, but I should be fine with one tank of gas right?

Smash
February 12th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah you'll be fine.

BlackRubi
February 12th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Wait....Valentine's Day is in February?
I'm considering. But the pregger wife is a little under the weather.

wyota
February 12th, 2010, 06:26 PM
ok i RSVP'ed im in for wheeling and probably camping too. I've got some room in my truck for some wood too, and i will be going through longmont do you want me to meet up with you guys and load up on wood also?

Funrover
February 12th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Have fun everyone!

CR
February 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM
ok i RSVP'ed im in for wheeling and probably camping too. I've got some room in my truck for some wood too, and i will be going through longmont do you want me to meet up with you guys and load up on wood also?

Come on by Todd.
I live off of Hover and Mt. view. Just give me a call when you get close. How bout 10 am?

wyota
February 12th, 2010, 08:43 PM
sounds good talk to ya in the morning

BlackRubi
February 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Damn! I can't make it. The wife is sick and I've gotta look after her. This looked like it was going to be a lot of fun, too. Have a great time everybody!

wyota
February 12th, 2010, 09:12 PM
hay CR isn't 10 too late i thought we where meeting in lyons at 10?

Smash
February 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Hey wyota, show up at CRs at 9:30, that's when we'll get there. See ya then!

Haku
February 12th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Sounds like you guys have the wood situation covered, so I'll see you at the Diamond Shamrock at 10:30am, ready for fun. See you then.

JH

Smash
February 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Sounds like you guys have the wood situation covered, so I'll see you at the Diamond Shamrock at 10:30am, ready for fun. See you then.

JH

Hey josh, meet time is 10am... Will wait for you if you don't see this in time.

Haku
February 12th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Meeting time on the Calendar says 10:30am, but I'll be there by 10am. No real hurry to get up there though. See you in the morning.

JH

Smash
February 12th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Hmm, ok my fault. I have 10am on the first post of this thread. Well, too late to do anything about it now! Lol.

BlueMoonMobile
February 13th, 2010, 12:15 AM
Hey sorry for not responding sooner. I've been busting it to get away for the weekend and get my ride ready.....did some last minute mods....
After spending all day ice climbing, multi days ice climbing, or doing multi day winter rock and ice climbs, you start to look for gear that works and ignore the pricing. That is where my advice comes from, not necessarily from a fun winter camping point of view. thanks for the perspective...I wanna get into these sports in the future so something like UA or the NikePro liners will definitely be on the list!! See ya guys @ the Diamond Sham!!!

DETN8R
February 13th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Just saw this post, really wish I could go.

CR
February 13th, 2010, 08:37 AM
9:30 here is good. See you then.

Brody
February 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM
We are out. I have a bumper to finish and winch/bumper parts for another bumper to pick up today so we can do that bumper Monday AM...Nice to finally be getting some work, so I am not going to P&M too much. May meet up with you guys tomorrow AM on the trail. If you read this before you take off, post about where you are going to camp: Bunce or Ironclads. Shouldn't be too hard to located a big Burbie...