PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual Anniversary Run March 27th

Brody
January 22nd, 2010, 02:24 PM
This is the official posting of the 2nd Annual Front Range 4x4 Anniversary Run. We'll run the trail and have lunch with grills & good food, plenty of time to meet other folks and have our giveaway at lunch. Family friendly, bring your kids, dogs & good attitude!

Meeting Place: Safeway/Starbucks Conifer

Meeting Time: 8:30 AMDirections: Hwy 285>Conifer Parkway> Safeway/Starbucks Parking Lot

CB Channel: 4

This is an easy trail so everyone can attend. Pure stock trucks are fine.

Link to Last Year: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?4362-China-Wall-1st-Anniversary-Run&highlight=anniversary

Link to Additional Info: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=209 (http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=209)

Please remember to contact vendors for donations and stickers and to bring your unwanted 4x or camping related items for the raffle giveaway.

Please RSVP so we know you'll be there!

Link to RSVP: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=165&day=2010-3-27&c=1

Smash
January 22nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Woohoo!

WINKY
January 22nd, 2010, 05:27 PM
not sure if i posted already but if im not oncall im in. i have to check the calendar.

AccordRanger
January 22nd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Im in for now hopefully i get it off.

Mporter
January 22nd, 2010, 11:07 PM
I'm gonna ask for the day off work and hopefully be able to make it.

Smash
January 25th, 2010, 01:42 PM
So far have secured one nice item for the raffle! Keeping my eye out for more.

Kepi
January 28th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Ok, here is the official posting of the 2nd Annual Front Range 4x4 Anniversary Run

The trail is still being voted on and we are voting on Metberry Gulch and China Wall, both suitable for stock rigs. Meeting time and places are on the calendar, with the exception of the meeting time for the Colorado Springs folks.

Please add your vote to the poll on this thread:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8287-Anniversary-Run-Trail-Poll

Since both of these areas involve roughly the same amount of drive time for both Colorado Springs folks and Denver folks, simply RSVP if you are going to be able to go.

Please remember to contact vendors for donations and stickers and to bring your unwanted 4x or camping related items for the raffle giveaway.

good times!

Chris
February 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Please RSVP Here -> http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2010-3-27&e=165&c=1

Even if you already did on the first post of this thread.

Thanks!

brian pleasant
February 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
me ,sylma,james my son will come. it will be his first experience with us..will have fun!

Rusty
February 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Regaurdless of where it is and the accomadations i'm in. Smash and I were talking about possibly bring a trailer. If this is what i'm thinking it's going to be, namely "not wheeling" for at least a few hours, eating, raffling, relaxing, meet and greets, etc. Than one of us might be bringing a trailer, would this be a problem given the terrain? Also if we trailer I'll have room for 3 more comfortably, no gas money pitching needed. :fing:

transplant87
February 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
im so there. and ill be bringing the new gf and greg(my freind) with 2 trucks

Fordguy77
February 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I have been making some decent process on the B2 project, but it still has a way to come, and not much time to get things done seeing as how i am back on 6 12's. So i have decided that barring any major disaster, or being stuck in the middle of no where, i am gonna drop my shift motor and switch into 4hi so i can actually take my own Rig on a run for once! Looking forward to meeting and greeting all the new faces!

CR
February 15th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I'm in as long as the weather is good.

JaBeep
February 15th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I'm in. Provides enought time to install some recovery points and to stretch-out the "never been wheeled" jeep. WahoOO!

Rob
February 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I'm in as long as the weather is good.
:confused::confused:

Since when did you need good weather?

Brody
February 16th, 2010, 05:26 AM
China Wall

20 (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=47) 45.45%

Metberry Gulch

24 (http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=47) 54.55%

Metberry Gulch is the official trail for the 2nd Anniversary Run. Poll is now closed.

Volcom
February 16th, 2010, 08:13 AM
What time are you expecting to be at the trailhead? Since I'm coming from the south, it would be easier to just meet ya at the trailhead. Also, any place to park a tow rig / trailer? I'd rather not drag the truck / trailer up several miles of rough dirt roads. I don't mind unloading the 4Runner and driving it a couple miles to the trailhead.

Smash
February 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM
If anybody needs a place to crash the night before, we have a comfy futon. Small place, 1 bathroom, 2 dogs and 2 cats, but I'll make some dinner!

Brody
February 16th, 2010, 08:44 AM
What time are you expecting to be at the trailhead? Since I'm coming from the south, it would be easier to just meet ya at the trailhead. Also, any place to park a tow rig / trailer? I'd rather not drag the truck / trailer up several miles of rough dirt roads. I don't mind unloading the 4Runner and driving it a couple miles to the trailhead.

9:30-10AM at Westcreek turnoff. There are places right at the turnoff from the paved road as well as either a little up or down from the turnoff to leave a trailer. This will be better as you won't have driving on dirt roads. There are also places a little after you turn down Stump Road where you can park trucks/trailers, and near the Sheepsnose climbers parking, and again when you turn off onto the actual trailhead, at another FS camp area/ trailhead access parking lot.

Volcom
February 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM
9:30-10AM at Westcreek turnoff. There are places right at the turnoff from the paved road as well as either a little up or down from the turnoff to leave a trailer. This will be better as you won't have driving on dirt roads. There are also places a little after you turn down Stump Road where you can park trucks/trailers, and near the Sheepsnose climbers parking, and again when you turn off onto the actual trailhead, at another FS camp area/ trailhead access parking lot.

Thanks for the info! I guess it depends on if I want to trailer the 4Runner on 40's or just drive it up there & back with the 35" All-terrains & if I have that day free.

CR
February 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM
:confused::confused:

Since when did you need good weather?
Well if it snows the night before or the morning of, then I will be out working.

78bronco
February 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM
im in if the beast is running> it should be running this weekend but you never know for sure when putting in a motor that wasnt originally in that model

4Runner3Wheeler
February 16th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks for organizing. I can't wait until full on wheeling season is back. I look forward to seeing folks I know and meeting those I don't.

It will likely be me +1+dog (3).

Pathrat
February 16th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks for organizing. I can't wait until full on wheeling season is back. I look forward to seeing folks I know and meeting those I don't.

It will likely be me +1+dog (3).

Bout time you showed up again! Have not seen you since the Bondo was still wet! :)

Red Rhino
February 16th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Hot Damn! :woot: I will be there fresh from Moab. I am looking forward to meeting and wheelen with more of you.

Bryan

4Runner3Wheeler
February 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Bout time you showed up again! Have not seen you since the Bondo was still wet! :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah

funny...my nickname is Bondo. For a minute is was wondering when and how I was 'wet,' then, came to realize you were talking about the super cutting and patching session we had at Brody's. I hope your CB is still working for you.

I thought I saw you since then...at the cleanup run, but maybe not. I have no concept of time anymore other than long vs. Short days. This isn't my big wheeling season. I would be down for chaining up and hitting some trails some time.

See you soon,

Brody
February 18th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks for organizing. I can't wait until full on wheeling season is back. I look forward to seeing folks I know and meeting those I don't. It will likely be me +1+dog (3).

Damn....It's alive!!!!!!!! How are you? I thought we were going to hook up for some climbing? You doing Ok?

ARAKNID-LJ
February 22nd, 2010, 09:47 AM
Howdy folks. As long as I don't have to work I will certainly be there with the wife and little monkeys.

Chris
February 22nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
A quick count shows about 25 trucks/50 people RSVP'ing "Yes" and 10 trucks as "maybe" so it looks like we'll easily beat last year. :thunb:

sunk
February 25th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Im in, is the plan to meet at the bottom to have lunch?

Chris
February 25th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Pete will decide when we're having lunch but yes, we'll set up grills, have lunch, have the giveaway, etc.

There's a lot of really great stuff this year thanks to Pete's efforts.

MelloYello
March 2nd, 2010, 12:18 AM
Is there anywhere to camp overnight on or near Metberry that anyone knows of? Is it BLM or National Park land?

Brody
March 2nd, 2010, 05:13 AM
Is there anywhere to camp overnight on or near Metberry that anyone knows of? Is it BLM or National Park land?

It is all Pike National Forest, so anywhere 200' off the road is good. Where you turn off Stump Road onto the FS road that starts the Metberry/Hackett/Longwater access, there is a FS free campground/parking area on the left side, but I wouldn't suggest that as it is used for access to the Turkey Rock Climbing area. Just past that there is pull off camping on both sides of the road that continues for quite awhile.

If you go past Stump Road, you end up in a lot of private land and Turkey Rock Estates. There is absolutely no camping around that area. There only other spot for camping nearby is up Flying J Road, a few miles past the first turn onto Stump. You will have to drive a long way to clear the private property before finding a campsite.

There are also places where you can simply turn off onto FS roads on the way towards Westcreek and camp, but I don't know the road designations..they are pretty obvious. There are also some roadside camping site in dirt pullouts.

MelloYello
March 2nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the info! I think that if I am able to make it, we will just stay the night and explore around on Sunday too. I have not been to that area before.
I don't know if anyone else is planning to camp, but all are welcome to join.

Chris
March 2nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
It's time for the Springs people to determine a meeting place to caravan to Metberry. This will help everyone who has never run it and welcome the new folks before getting to the trail.

Please post suggestions of places/times to help make the turnout all it can be.

Thanks!

:frontrange4x4:

BlackRubi
March 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
we have a comfy futon.
Are those two words allowed to be used in the same sentence?

foxtrot
March 2nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
i would say a good place is the safeway on colorado ave, it's near colorado ave and 31st street. then we can just jump on 24 and off we go

JeffX
March 2nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
i would say a good place is the safeway on colorado ave, it's near colorado ave and 31st street. then we can just jump on 24 and off we go

That's probably the best spot in town. I probably won't meet in the springs because my truck is pretty gutless up the pass. 75% chance I can make this one.

Chris
March 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Sounds good foxtrot, how about a meeting time that gives everyone enough time to make it to Metberry when the denver folks do.

foxtrot
March 2nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
well I have no idea how long it will take to get up there, so I have no clue lol, google says two hours

JeffX
March 2nd, 2010, 04:37 PM
well I have no idea how long it will take to get up there, so I have no clue lol, google says two hours

Wasn't Google sending you through Conifer? :/

I would say it's about 70 minutes away (from old-C-City), but 90 would be smart for planning purposes.

Metalhed
March 2nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
one truck for sure
might be two

foxtrot
March 2nd, 2010, 04:43 PM
ok, so meet at the safeway at 6:45? that way it gives us time to all meet and hop on the road

Andrew
March 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
I don't see an RSVP for this...

Rob
March 2nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
I don't see an RSVP for this...

Looks like the RSVP function is malfunctioning again. It's not on any of the runs.

Andrew
March 2nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Looks like the RSVP function is malfunctioning again. It's not on any of the runs.

That would explain it. I couldn't remember if I was a Maybe or if I hadn't posted any RSVP.

Chris
March 2nd, 2010, 09:41 PM
I screwed up so everyone has to do it again for all runs but I think you're seeing that on the top of the page.

Zatticus
March 2nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
Is there any where I could look at what the trail looks like?
:)

Chris
March 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
There's a link on the calendar - click on the run in the yellow box.

Zatticus
March 2nd, 2010, 10:13 PM
Alright,
Thanks.
:)

foxtrot
March 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
my friend said he went up there recently, and it would be very difficult for a full size rig. He said there are a couple of very sharp turns where you don't really have a choice to make it or not because of cliffs. If we in the full size rigs get up there and can't do it, would it be cool to ride along with someone else if they have room?

Haku
March 2nd, 2010, 10:55 PM
I'll have a seat in my rig for one person, and I'm sure there are plenty of other seats available too. That said, I think you'd be surprised where these Burbs and Full Size pickups will fit. Guess we'll find out after the guys get back from the Pre-run.

JH

foxtrot
March 2nd, 2010, 11:22 PM
heck, I'll try it pretty much no matter what. it's not fun if it's easy :2thumbup:

Brody
March 3rd, 2010, 05:32 AM
my friend said he went up there recently, and it would be very difficult for a full size rig. He said there are a couple of very sharp turns where you don't really have a choice to make it or not because of cliffs. If we in the full size rigs get up there and can't do it, would it be cool to ride along with someone else if they have room?

I must have missed something as I don't remember any "cliffs" or especially sharp turns. I would have felt comfortable taking my Ford F150 on that trail (have and did pre Hayman Fire). As I remember from last year, there were maybe two turns, minus any cliffs, that a bigger rig like a Surburban might have to back up and take another shot at to get around. The biggest rigs we had on the last Metberry run were Land Cruisers which are only slightly smaller than a Burbie..

Here are two links showing our trail run reports of Metberry Gulch:

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?5445-Metberry-Gulch-6-7/page4&highlight=metberry+gulch

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?5445-Metberry-Gulch-6-7/page4

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?7230-Metberry-Hackett-Longwater-etc.-etc.

Metberry is definitely what I would call a 'no drama' trail, which is one of the reasons it was suggested for the Anniversary Run. I think the last time we had a big run down there, we had about 17 rigs. No one had any problems whatsoever...

JeffX
March 3rd, 2010, 06:00 AM
Recent TD report:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/report.php?id=702

Smash
March 3rd, 2010, 07:42 AM
There's cliffs out there? Lol. Not that I know of! That being said, I haven't run these specific trails before. Either way, I'll have a great time working my long, fat *** around the trail. *grin

SubaCool
March 4th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Somebody talk to me about the rock slab. I'm not worried about climbing it, more the descent since I'll have to ride the brakes on it (no lo). How sharp is the edge? And is there a bypass? (you know, just in case the :princess: doesn't approve once we get there :steer:)

JeffX
March 4th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Somebody talk to me about the rock slab. I'm not worried about climbing it, more the descent since I'll have to ride the brakes on it (no lo). How sharp is the edge? And is there a bypass? (you know, just in case the :princess: doesn't approve once we get there :steer:)

Most of us with lo (no doubler) will need to ride the brakes, too. I wouldn't worry because you might have an advantage with ABS.

Andrew
March 4th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Most of us with lo (no doubler) will need to ride the brakes, too. I wouldn't worry because you might have an advantage with ABS.

I wouldn't call ABS an advantage offroad.

And I don't think there is a bybass - you just don't go down. I think it just goes down and does a little loop at the bottom and comes back up.

Rob
March 4th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Most of us with lo (no doubler) will need to ride the brakes, too.

I don't remember touching the brakes even once going down the slab in low. And my crawl ratio isn't even that great. But mine's a manual, so maybe that's why.

Pathrat
March 4th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Here is a picture at the bottom of the hill. Are there not two hills, side by side, with the one on the right being the right way? It isn't long, I slid down a bit and recovered, totally stock.
AS far as cliffs, there is one tight turn next to an outcropping, that I recall anyway.

foxtrot
March 4th, 2010, 10:31 PM
you think a full size rig could make the turn?

Haku
March 4th, 2010, 10:40 PM
I'm sure you, and everyone, will be fine. Here is a picture of the full hill.....

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/metberry_gulch/091025/matt_down_the_rock_slab_part_3.jpg

The turn has many lines down it, and should have plenty of room for a full size of any sort. I trust Brody and the other guys who mentioned this trail for this to know that its a "stock" 4wd/AWD capable trail suiitable for anyone that is a member. With Front Range, thats pretty varied, so yeah. I haven't been on this trail, but from the descriptions, it won't be a problem for any vehicle or any skill/experience level.

JH

foxtrot
March 4th, 2010, 10:44 PM
that looks fun :D, im not really worried. like i said before, im going to try it no matter what. i just like to be prepaired :)

Rob
March 4th, 2010, 11:20 PM
AS far as cliffs, there is one tight turn next to an outcropping, that I recall anyway.

I recall that one, too, and I recall a dip in the trail right after the turn going downhill. Metberry was my first real trail run in the FJC, it was totally stock (including Bridgestone passenger tires) and I had no feel for the vehicle or its capabilities. And I had little to no confidence in my off-roading abilities. I was sure I was going to take out the side of my shiny new rig. Going down and coming back up. I'm sure I'll be much more confident on the trail this time.

SubaCool
March 5th, 2010, 02:19 AM
What about this? Looks like a bypass to me...
Two things that I'm worried about are the breakover angle at the top, and the dip at the bottom. I can go diagonaly to clear sharp angles, just don't think it'd be a good idea on something that steep. I guess I'll see when we get there, huh? :cool: Pictures always look different than the real thing anyways...

Chris
March 5th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Thread closed. Please continue here: http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8828-2nd-Annual-Anniversary-Run-March-27th-Part-II&p=90449#post90449