PDA

View Full Version : Moab!

Trailrat99XJ
January 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Planning on a trip to Moab in mid March. More details to come later. Anyone interested?

Andrew
January 27th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I'm interested, but more in the May area. I have some other guys planning an early May trip, as that's what works best for me. I'm hoping they don't change dates on me, but if so I may look at getting some people here together to go.

CR
January 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Might be interested.
Keep us posted on planning dates.

Haku
January 27th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Yes, very. Went there that time last year and it was awesome. My one requirement be that its not during EJS or Cruise Moab, cause I hate crowds and having to wait to get on a trail. But yeah, I've been wanting to get back there ever since I went last year.

JH

Trailrat99XJ
January 27th, 2010, 02:09 PM
We go when nothing else is going on out there. I hate traffic jams on the trail!

Haku
January 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I'm in for BFE for sure, though not sure about Heldorado yet (mostly worried about that exit waterfall). Greenday is a sweet trail that has some really fun obstacles, and the play area is always fun. Heck, its a great place to camp too, if you can deal with no facilities.

I've never ran the Poison Spider trio, so that would be cool to do one day too. I'd run Hells Revenge again, and maybe try some of the big obstacles this time. Whatever works for everyone though, I'm not picky.

JH

Trailrat99XJ
January 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
The trio is cool, I've been busted up on that twice!

Andrew
January 27th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I won't go to Moab without running Hell's Revenge. Damn I just love that trail.

Trailrat99XJ
January 27th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I'll run it while I'm there for sure!

white collar redneck dad
January 28th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I would be interested in Late March to early April ...My amost 10 year old son has his spring break then and he has been BEGGING me to take him to MOAB!!

ROKTAXI
January 28th, 2010, 08:28 AM
A little Moab weather up date: It snowed all day yesterday and all last night. The snow during the day was a heavy wet snow and didn't accumulate as much. Woke up this morning to 4" - 6" of the white powdery stuff with a layer of wet snow at the bottom. I'm guessing a total of 8" - 9" dropped from the sky. The amazing part was that we had a weeks worth of "warm" (45*+) weather that melted all the snow from the previous months event. Now the cycle starts all over again.

I'm looking to buy a snow blower... unfortunately no one in town sells them... or has EVER sold them. Street department is running out of sand and only doing the main roads. They had a medical emergency on I-70 last night and they couldn't get the ambulance to the scene. Hwy 191 was closed. MANY tractor/trailers jackknifed, cars slid off the road, etc, etc. (I have a scanner).

Crazy weather for Moab. However, old timers talk about much more snow than we've gotten so far. Don't know if that's true or not but for over 20 years I haven't seen it snow this much or even close to it.

Andrew
January 28th, 2010, 08:43 AM
We got a bit of snow in Fort Collins, but nothing much. Seems a system came up from Arizona, through Utah and into Colorado, but by the time it got here we didn't get much. I want more snow!

Trailrat99XJ
January 28th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Wow, Moab winter wonderland! Hopefully it will warm up a little bit by mid March.

Trailrat99XJ
January 28th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I might bring my boys too! I think they would have a blast. I guess it depends on how much trouble I want to get into!
I would be interested in Late March to early April ...My amost 10 year old son has his spring break then and he has been BEGGING me to take him to MOAB!!

dollnicholas
January 28th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I would love to check it out! Any trails my stock burb could run? Just incase i dont have anything done to it or a trail vehicle by then it sounds like a lot of fun!

Smash
January 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Wow that's crazy that there is that much snow out there. I wish we could take a long weekend or something to go.

Chris
January 28th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I would love to check it out! Any trails my stock burb could run? Just incase i dont have anything done to it or a trail vehicle by then it sounds like a lot of fun!

Yes, Moab has something for everyone.

Andrew
January 28th, 2010, 12:39 PM
LWB can have issues on some trails in Moab, just due to the steep angles some of that is at.

Smash
January 28th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I'd love to just go see it in the snow, just pack our snowshoes and the dogs.

Whoever goes, look forward to seeing pics.

ROKTAXI
January 28th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Update from this morning... moved all the snow from the driveway with a snow shovel. http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/mavalos27/Snow/P1020376.jpg http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/mavalos27/Snow/P1020374.jpg http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/mavalos27/Snow/P1020371.jpg

SCRubicon
January 28th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Keep in mind the Easter Jeep Safari is March 27th - April 4th this year.

Smash
January 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Update from this morning... moved all the snow from the driveway with a snow shovel.

That's one heck of a driveway to be shoveling!!

Chris
January 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM
That couldn't have been fun Marty. Check your PM's. ;)

ROKTAXI
January 28th, 2010, 07:55 PM
No, it was not fun but if I had left it, it would have left frozen tire tracks that tend to be a bit slippery for the car.... for many days or at least until it melted. UPS driver likes me now that he can drive up instead of walking (up hill) from the street.

white collar redneck dad
February 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
I have never been to an Easter Jeep Safari...What is that about?

Haku
February 3rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
Its where thousands and thousands of people show up in Moab and the place becomes completely insane. Great if you like crowds, not so great if you want to get trails done at a reasonable pace (or at all). Not my cup of tea, but I hear its worth going to once. You do get to see crazy antics on some of the bigger obstacles like Potatoe Salad Hill or Area BFE, if the youtube videos are any indication. Just expect any stupid stuff you do to be seen by thousands of people. They have some competitive events there like the XRRA rock racing event and such at the same time, so you get to see some great high dollar rig competition too. If you are gonna go, expect to have to fight for a camping spot, and expect to not find a motel room anywhere close by. For me, I'll go the week before or after, since I hate crowds and want to go at my own pace.

JH

ROKTAXI
February 3rd, 2010, 11:50 AM
The event it's self has about 1500 - 1700 registered participants. However over the years it has evolved to where over 10 times those amounts come here, but only come to run trails on their own and to be spectators (spring break crowd). Not the prefered way to experience Moab unless you like the Mardi Gras atmosphere.

Red Rock 4 Wheelers (http://rr4w.com)

Andrew
February 3rd, 2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah I recommend staying FAR FAR away from Moab during EJS.

Red Rhino
February 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
I am new to FR 4x4. Moab is the Natures Play Ground. I am planning to go to Moab the week before EJS. March 22-26. Is any one going then?

white collar redneck dad
February 5th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Yes -- Im am going with another group during the later part of 3/24-week. Maybe we could hook up in Moab love2flycessna@yahoo.com ... Welcome to the group!!! Charlie

I am new to FR 4x4. Moab is the Natures Play Ground. I am planning to go to Moab the week before EJS. March 22-26. Is any one going then?

white collar redneck dad
February 5th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Cool---thanks josh!! Im hoping to go to Moab the week of 3/24---Wanna Go?

Its where thousands and thousands of people show up in Moab and the place becomes completely insane. Great if you like crowds, not so great if you want to get trails done at a reasonable pace (or at all). Not my cup of tea, but I hear its worth going to once. You do get to see crazy antics on some of the bigger obstacles like Potatoe Salad Hill or Area BFE, if the youtube videos are any indication. Just expect any stupid stuff you do to be seen by thousands of people. They have some competitive events there like the XRRA rock racing event and such at the same time, so you get to see some great high dollar rig competition too. If you are gonna go, expect to have to fight for a camping spot, and expect to not find a motel room anywhere close by. For me, I'll go the week before or after, since I hate crowds and want to go at my own pace.

JH

Haku
February 5th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Cool---thanks josh!! Im hoping to go to Moab the week of 3/24---Wanna Go?

I sure do........which trails you planning on doing and are you camping or staying in a Motel? Thats a good week to go for sure. Can't say for definite right now, but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to make it.

JH

Brody
February 6th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Yeah I recommend staying FAR FAR away from Moab during EJS.

X2..Not only does the EJS end up giving all 4 wheelers everywhere a bad name due to the incredible amounts of trash that gets left behind, but the cops are out in force hammering down on every rig that doesn't fit street regulations. Add to this waiting in line for hours to do popular obstacles, the huge crowds, and what has to be some incredible bozo antics (judging by the you tube videos) and you have a place I sure don't want to be.

As has been said, you will for sure see some set up rigs and if huge crowds of people looking on and throwing trash around in an otherwise pretty environment is what you want, by all means go for the EJS weekend. Just load up on trash bags, bring a weapon or two to bag some 'trash tossers', a book to read while you are waiting to do obstacles and have a great time.

Every write up on this event has said something about the incredible amounts of trash, off trail use by complete bozos, and run ins with the local law...doesn't sound like a real good time in my book, but I don't like crowds of people all too much anyway and tend to avoid them if I can...

Wow....post 7000....wordy *******, aren't I?

ROKTAXI
February 6th, 2010, 04:21 PM
The snow gods have overstayed their welcome here in Moab. Got another 2" last night but it seems to be melting but it only adds to the base amount on the north facing benches and trails. It's been cloudy, foggy and overcast for the last 2 weeks. So unlike winter weather in Moab.

Chris
February 6th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Every write up on this event has said something about the incredible amounts of trash, off trail use by complete bozos, and run ins with the local law.

I've gone the week after EJS and everyone was pretty laid back and happy that it's over. I've never run in to anything but good people that week.

ROKTAXI
February 6th, 2010, 07:04 PM
A week after EJS is way better than the week before. The week before is when all the "pre runs" are happening. By Tuesday or Wednesday after EJS, things are settling down quite a bit like Chris says. Generally, it's the spring breakers that give EJS a bad name. On the years that we have rainy or snowy weather for a few days, they leave. When the weather is great, so are the problems.

ROKTAXI
February 7th, 2010, 09:30 AM
See post #21... Another 4+ inches overnight and still snowing. Don't know when we'll turn the corner into spring but the forecast looks pretty bleak for the next week. Usually we see a little flutter of warmth this time of year. What do you think Chris???

Chris
February 7th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I'm not optimistic at this point Marty. Any chance of moving our plans ahead?

SCRubicon
February 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I have never been to an Easter Jeep Safari...What is that about?

What is it? All the stuff the other guys said and more. Registration is $50 per vehicle for 1 day, 2 days $90, 3 days $130, 4 days $170, 5 days $210, 6 days $250, 7 days $290, 8 days $330, 9 days $370. (Hole in the Rock trail counts as 3 days) What is it exactly - it is a money making machine for the host club that helps to pay for land use permits. Why pay a ton of cash to wheel with a smabillion of your closest friends you never knew you had and on trails of the club's choosing? IDK, maybe some people think it is comforting to go in a group so they don't get lost out on the trails? I've been to Moab enough to do my own tours. I'll gladly take somebody's cash to be their red rock chaperone for as long as they want to stay out there :D

Haku
February 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM
As far as I can tell its a Jeep circle jerk, when you can go wheeling with a bunch of other rigs that look just like yours and talk about how cool it is to own a Jeep. Obviously this isn't true of all Jeep guys, but there is a certain breed of affluent Jeep guy (or is effluent?) that completely buys into the whole jeep ideal, and does exactly what all the other guys do to theirs. Over the summer a couple people from Front Range did Spring Creek, and there were a couple of other groups. One of those groups was the kind of dudes I am talking about. They all had the same color 4 door Rubicons, with the same wheels, same lift, same everything, and there was probably 6-8 of them. It was probably a couple million worth of Jeep (and parts) sitting there.

Combine that stuff, with a bunch of drunken, mob mentality bullshit, and you have EJS. Its truly one of those events where the "its a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" cliche really fits. Usually I laugh and say that I understand, which is why I don't own a Jeep. In this case, I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Anybody want to go the week after EJS? Charlie invited me to go the week before, but I just realized that it coincides with the Anniversary trip, so I'll probably try to go between EJS and Cruise Moab, or after Cruise, or both. Hoping to get a few people together that don't mind roughing it a bit and camping out of the way in the cheap area. I'd rather spend my money on good food and beverage, rather then lodging.

JH

Mporter
February 8th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Usually I laugh and say that I understand, which is why I don't own a Jeep.

X2 :lol:

Andrew
February 8th, 2010, 07:13 AM
I got your Jeep thing...now it hurts when I pee.

Brody
February 8th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Its truly one of those events where the "its a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" cliche really fits. Usually I laugh and say that I understand, which is why I don't own a Jeep. In this case, I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.JH

Hell, I have owned and wheeled 3-4 Jeeps over the years. They were just another 4x4 to me and I didn't get the "It's a Jeep Thing" no matter if I was wheeling or wrenching or simply driving them. Just a damn another damn 4x4 to me...You build them up, they wheel hard. You wheel hard without building them up, they break. Sounds like pretty much any 4x4 out there that ever was or ever will be....

There are a bunch of XJ dudes that travel 'posse style' like that : same lift, same tires, same wheels, same major bucks spent for all the very cool and expensive goodies...and real major attitudes...

Brody
February 8th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Now having said this, Toyota guys are always talking about how everything else is junk, and I have spent more time on the trail watching Toyota guys fix their junk then I ever spent with busted Jeeps.

HAHA...not I...I have simply owned and wrenched on too many different pieces of 4x4 junk to ever say one is better than another....Gotta say I just love them foreign engines, though, with the bottom end built to diesel specs and all those miles you can get out of it. Sure...you can say that you know of 258s, 327s, 302s, 350s...any of the really good US engines getting 200k+, but they are mainly the exception, not the rule...

SCRubicon
February 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
As far as I can tell its a Jeep circle jerk

They didn't name it EJS for nothing. :lmao: IMO, it is a joke... There are snobs in every group, doesn't matter what brand they are sporting around in. At the end of the day the rigs are all somewhat beat up buckets of bolts that need to be wrenched on sooner or later depending on your wheeling style. I give the dogging out of any specific brand two "meh's" down. :rolleyes:

JKimmel
February 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
They didn't name it EJS for nothing. :lmao: IMO, it is a joke... There are snobs in every group, doesn't matter what brand they are sporting around in. At the end of the day the rigs are all somewhat beat up buckets of bolts that need to be wrenched on sooner or later depending on your wheeling style. I give the dogging out of any specific brand two "meh's" down. :rolleyes:

have to agree..the ranting about EJS sounds right about what enviro's characterize all of us as. Been to a few group outings before, they all have pros and cons :)

Red Rhino
February 8th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I would love to join your group. Let me know what and when you guys are running.

Bryan

Red Rhino
February 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Yes -- Im am going with another group during the later part of 3/24-week. Maybe we could hook up in Moab love2flycessna@yahoo.com ... Welcome to the group!!! Charlie

I did not reply right. So here I go again.

I would love to join your group. Let me know what and when you guys are running.

Bryan

Red Rhino
February 8th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I sure do........which trails you planning on doing and are you camping or staying in a Motel? Thats a good week to go for sure. Can't say for definite right now, but I don't see why I shouldn't be able to make it.

JH

Should we start a new thread for a Moad 3-24... Trip?

Bryan

Haku
February 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I realized that Charlie's dates coincide with the Anniversary trip, so I'm gonna go on that, and plan on going the week after EJS instead. You are more then welcome to start one up though. I definitely want to go, and plan on long days, moderate to difficult trails, and a rougher camping experience then KOA or the "in town" camping facilities provide. I plan on spending at least one, and probably two, days at Area BFE, and then maybe do Hells Revenge and the Gold Trio (Poison Spider, Gold Bar Rim, and Gold Spike, since HR is fun, and I haven't done the Gold Trio yet and want to.

JH

Haku
February 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Just so ya'll know, EJS is from March 27th through April 4th (day before Easter) according to their website. Cruise Moab (land cruiser event) is April 24th through May 2nd.

I'm thinking the Friday the 9th of April through Monday the 12th of April for a trip. That gives Moab some time to chill out from the EJS happenings, and before the Cruise guys start showing up. I'm happy to stay for a long stay, but realize other people have obligations and may not be able to pull that. I'd like to have at least two other rigs on the trip with me, but it would be awesome to have a big group.

JH

scout man
February 8th, 2010, 08:36 PM
You should post this up on its own thread under trail run planning so as to not confuse things, Mr. trail run moderator!! :lmao::fing::lmao:

Haku
February 8th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, heard it before buddy.

This thread is about the current and upcoming conditions in Moab and taking advantage of them. I think EJS counts as a upcoming condition (a serious ugly and debilitating one). I'll probably do that in a day or so though.

JH

Pathrat
February 9th, 2010, 10:38 PM

There are plenty of options for long wheel base, relatively stock vehicles in Moab and the surrounding area. It sounds like this trip will be chock full of harder runs. If and when you go, post up and I am sure you will get a number of suggestions on where to go.

Pathrat
February 10th, 2010, 10:25 PM
SCRubicon, I am with you on staying home whenever there is a large group event in Moab, whatever the make. I like taking my choice of trail at my speed, maybe with a buddy or two.

Roxtaxi, thanks for the updates. I have been monitoring the weather down there, just waiting for the chance to escape down there.