PDA

View Full Version : Kids: How young is too young?

Funrover
February 4th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I am wanting to take my nephew on the anniversary run if we can. He will basically be 2 years old. Is that to soon? :confused:

96FullSize
February 4th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Is 2 years old still in a baby seat? If so I think that might be a bit too young.

scout man
February 4th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I am wanting to take my nephew on the anniversary run if we can. He will basically be 2 years old. Is that to soon? :confused:

is he breathing and eating yet??? take him!!

Just kidding, dont listen to me, there is a reason I dont have kids.

Andrew
February 4th, 2010, 05:23 PM
IMO that is too young. He won't remember it either.

I would say about 6 years or older they start to become old enough, but that depends on the kid and how well they listen. They are small and not easily seen - so only let them out of the vehicle when everyone is stopped, etc.

Of course, I'm sure others have different opinions. This is just my suggestions.

Pathrat
February 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Funrover, how is his head control? You don't want to expose a kid to avoidable danger. I am guessing that you will need to skip obstacles as to not jerk him around, should you go. If you are not planning on going above a three rated trail, I don't think you are doing anything more dangerous than driving down the freeway.

Funrover
February 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Funrover, how is his head control? You don't want to expose a kid to avoidable danger. I am guessing that you will need to skip obstacles as to not jerk him around, should you go. If you are not planning on going above a three rated trail, I don't think you are doing anything more dangerous than driving down the freeway.

That is what I am thinking. He has great head control and we would be in Jessicas Disco.. So unless the obstacle is super easy we wouldn't do it most likely. If it got to bad I would walk with him as Jess drove

gm4x4lover
February 4th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Dude he is totally fine. He walks right? falls down right? Most of our kids started wheeling under 6 months. They usually learn head control around 3 months. Plus the trail u guys are doing is freaking easy. The worst part about a 2 year old is their attention span.

Funrover
February 4th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Dude he is totally fine. He walks right? falls down right? Most of our kids started wheeling under 6 months. They usually learn head control around 3 months. Plus the trail u guys are doing is freaking easy. The worst part about a 2 year old is their attention span.

That span often matches mine so I think we are good to go LOL

Jimmy
February 4th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Good grief!!! I was reading some of these responses and wondering if what I read as "2 years old" actually said 2 months old.

He'll be just fine so long as he's in a quality car seat. Bet ya he sleeps through half of it. :) When my boys were that young (and younger) and were along on wheeling trips, they'd zonk out.

WINKY
February 4th, 2010, 08:33 PM
one run we had a couple bring a month old infant. needless to say he wanted to leave an hour into the run but that would have been stupid if he broke down and no one around....

2 yo... unless you have too, like they said he wont remember it.

Pathrat
February 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM
That is what I am thinking. He has great head control and we would be in Jessicas Disco.. So unless the obstacle is super easy we wouldn't do it most likely. If it got to bad I would walk with him as Jess drove

If this is what you are doing, then by all means take him.

I will tend to be more on the overprotective side. Also, kids don't 'learn' head control, they develop it, and physiologically, that does not occur at three months. Holding their head up does not equal control.

Funrover
February 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM
If this is what you are doing, then by all means take him.

I will tend to be more on the overprotective side. Also, kids don't 'learn' head control, they develop it, and physiologically, that does not occur at three months. Holding their head up does not equal control.

LOL.. hey I thought you wouldn't tell about my lack of control.. See how you are.

Pathrat
February 4th, 2010, 09:51 PM
LOL.. hey I thought you wouldn't tell about my lack of control.. See how you are.

You probably just have a defective gene...it's not your fault. :)

Volcom
February 4th, 2010, 10:41 PM
I've taken my 2 year old out once back in Oct on Iron Chest. He did just fine and had a good time! We never took him out of the rig since the wind was blowning about 40 mph and the wind chill was very cold. We just ate lunch in the 4Runner. I've taken my daughter out 3 times. She's been to Liberty out in Penrose twice and the Iron Chest trip as well. She was 3 when I took her to Liberty on her first time. We were right in the middle of potty training. I bought a camping potty for her and she used it in the middle of the trail several times. It was pretty funny :D

Funrover
February 4th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I've taken my 2 year old out once back in Oct on Iron Chest. He did just fine and had a good time! We never took him out of the rig since the wind was blowning about 40 mph and the wind chill was very cold. We just ate lunch in the 4Runner. I've taken my daughter out 3 times. She's been to Liberty out in Penrose twice and the Iron Chest trip as well. She was 3 when I took her to Liberty on her first time. We were right in the middle of potty training. I bought a camping potty for her and she used it in the middle of the trail several times. It was pretty funny :D

Classic!

Brody
February 5th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Dude he is totally fine. He walks right? falls down right? The worst part is their attention span.

Geez...this sounds like someone trying to describe Aaron to someone who doesn't know him...and those of us who do, know exactly who the other person is talking about.....'walks, falls down, goes potty in the middle of the trail, short attention span...' The first person I thought of...Aaron...then I read farther and found out people were talking about a 2 year old...:lmao::lmao:

gragravar
February 5th, 2010, 08:22 AM
over a year should be fine. kid will likely sleep through much of it. do take it easy on him though so you dont shake him too much.

Chris
February 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM
How about a kids run some time? My grandkids would like that!

gragravar
February 5th, 2010, 09:01 AM

my kids and I would be up for that - assuming it happens some time when I am home. too much travel FML.

Volcom
February 5th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Just make sure to take some breaks and let them run around during lunch. They will have a good time. I'm planning on taking my kids more this summer.

SubaCool
February 5th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Don't shake the Baby! :p
My daughter was about 18months when we went to Moab and rented a Jeep. Sure, she might not remember it later, but she had a blast (when she was awake). She had no problems bouncing around, she actually thought it was fun, and it kept her entertained :cool: We didn't do anything extra hard, but bouncy enough. We've been up Old Fall River rd and other bouncy roads when she was younger (6+months). She's 4 now but I still keep her in her seat with a 5-point harness (rated up to 100lbs). Much safer that way. I wouldn't recommend taking an infant (less than 6mo) offroading, but a toddler will be fine. Take the kid out, he'll have fun :thunb:

Ooh, I like this!

Smash
February 5th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Haha you guys should see Kubo's daughter. She passes out every time they leave the pavement. She spent 90% of the georgetown ice races with her dad on the ice sound asleep in her car seat. Lol.

SubaCool
February 5th, 2010, 10:45 AM
She passes out every time they leave the pavement
It's so damn boring to be going slow! :p She likes speed :D

white collar redneck dad
February 5th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Both of my kids started wheelin early -- I was changing my daughters diapers on the trail. MOST important is her head bobbling...but as GM stated as learned head control is usually under 3 months old!!! Take your baby -- as matter of fact bring them on the 2/27 REDNECK KIDS wheelin DAY!! Its on the calendar!!

white collar redneck dad
February 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
IM already ahead of you CHRIS --- MY kids love wheelin with me as well -- I have planned a trip called REDNECK KIDS wheelin DAY on Saturday 2/27/09....you would be proud of me Chris as i got the trip on the Calendar this time... SOO its official...Bring the Kiddos and RC cars and Trucks--I hope to see yall there!!! IM Still a Toys R Us Kid!!

BlackRubi
February 5th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hannah was 16 months when we did Red Cone last summer. She had a blast! The rocky areas actually put her to sleep. 2 years should be no big deal! Rock on, little one!

Volcom
February 10th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I have taken my kids since 6 months old, give them plenty of play time and be careful about jerking them hard, you'll be fine.

I also put a full cage in the Jeep at Momma's demand. Of course I should have done this for my own safety but when you have little one's it changes your mindset if you know what I mean.

Yup, I finally got a full cage in my 4Runner last season. It wouldn't have happened but Scotty at Addicted Off Road helped me out big time. He was tired of seeing me wheel trails like BV Carnage and Patriot without a cage. Now that I'm caged, I don't have any issues putting the kids back there and going wheeling!

Hulk
February 10th, 2010, 02:21 PM
We started wheeling with the kids when they were about 1 year old.

The back tailgate makes a great place to change diapers too.

Mporter
February 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
The back tailgate makes a great place to change diapers too.

I foresee tech section thread! Lol

Roostercruiser
February 18th, 2010, 09:45 AM
aaron ive been taking my kids on every run i do. jesse and aly have been wheelin since 4 and 6 months old. ive never done a run without them .

Roostercruiser
February 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Haha you guys should see Kubo's daughter. She passes out every time they leave the pavement. She spent 90% of the georgetown ice races with her dad on the ice sound asleep in her car seat. Lol.

aly is the same way. she will sllep threw most of a run .

Jackie
February 18th, 2010, 06:43 PM
My Annika is 5 now and considers herself my "Jeep Partner". I haven't taken her on anything more difficult than a 3-4 rated trail because she gets car-sick - and in Moab, she and I got out and walked some of the sections of Fins-n-Things while my husband took the wheel because we were unsure how the Jeep would do on the "straight DOWN" hills. On her first run, she was 3. Bring the kid! They have so much fun! Just make sure he has a good car seat. My kid is now in a booster seat and I let her ride in front. (Not on the highway though).