PDA

View Full Version : fancy meeting you here

softg
February 6th, 2010, 03:05 PM
my name is giles, that's with a soft g. my wife and I have lived in this fair state for a few years now and love it, she works hard and I study hard. we ventured out here from north carolina so that I could enroll in the industrial design program here in town. we sort of followed my father, the pioneer, who moved out here some time ago, maybe four score and something. my wonderful bride left her family and is almost completely surrounded by my crazy, you can see it in my dogs too. we have just gotten a 4th generation 4runner and, although it's in stock form now, the cash has been sent and there are beautiful parts in its postal future. we can't wait to get the work done and resume playing but it might be hot minute. good to be on board captain, we are excited to do some exploring.

Mporter
February 6th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Well ill be the first to say Welcome

softg
February 6th, 2010, 04:35 PM
cheers. the welcome is certainly appreciated. nice 62, I love those things.

Mporter
February 6th, 2010, 04:36 PM
What type of stuff you got in the mail for it? I'm assuming a lift.

Or even more broad question: what are your plans?

Rob
February 6th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Welcome aboard.

CR
February 6th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Welcome.
Like Matt said, Plans? Pics?

Brody
February 6th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hey Giles! Welcome to the forum and great meeting and talking with you the other day! Like I told you-this is a really nice bunch of people so I am happy to see you here.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions, either. You will get answers here. There are a lot of folks with a lot of knowledge on this forum and we have everything from very experienced people to the newbie. Feel free to post any information that you run across that you think may be of use, too. We always appreciate the input.

I already posted the link to the Toyota 120 site in the Toyota Make and Model links. Thanks for that one. A good site with a lot of good information.

softg
February 6th, 2010, 05:36 PM
What type of stuff you got in the mail for it? I'm assuming a lift.

Or even more broad question: what are your plans?

the history: so, we got the truck in late december, it was my wife's folks. it's a north carolina vehicle and is super clean and female driven, not that my mother-in-law's not an aggressive driver. the 4runner has never been offroad, yet, and from what I can tell, it's dying to.
the future: after spending months on the toyota120 forum, listening, well reading, I've been pulling the trigger on things. obviously this will be done in stages but... I ordered the overland warehouse full suspension kit, includes front coilovers and a complete rear shock and spring. the kit provides 3.5" in the front and 2.5" in the rear, solving the rake found on the factory set up. I ordered the camburg 1.25" uniball upper control arms to help with alignment. I ordered the 4crawler 1.5" body lift with grade 8 hardware and will give me some more room for tires. I ordered a rear sway link set from a guy on the 120 that produces them, much beefier than stock and I'm looking into replacing the front sway links as well. I am reinforcing the cast passenger front diff bracket, cause if that goes it makes a big expensive mess. I am looking into fabricating some reinforcement or replace the rear link body mounts as they are fairly flimsy. I'm also planning on fabricating my own upper and lower rear links with heims and single side adjustment to get my axle where I want. all of this and some aesthetic things, paint, are first. following my body lift I am going to work on some custom bolt-up sliders. after the suspension settles a bit, couple weeks, I'm shopping for rubber. picked up some spidertrax spacers for fitment and 5 fj cruiser wheels, getting powdered as we speak, and I'm thinking a 295/305 MT but I may look into the 315 as well. depends on what's gonna fit without RIDICULOUS trimming, willing to do some but I'd like to keep her somewhat whole. I also ordered some powerslot rotors, carbon-kevlar pads and braided lines to help with the stopping. little bits with priority include a body mount chop and the removal of the running boards. I am trying to decide between buying or building a full roof rack. then comes decisions about ipod connect, switch relocations and blank replacement, vsc disable, running lights, hid's, led's, tire mounts, wreaths and tinsel and blah, blah, blah.
I think that sums things up? anyone want to join a build party?

softg
February 6th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Hey Giles! Welcome to the forum and great meeting and talking with you the other day! Like I told you-this is a really nice bunch of people so I am happy to see you here.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions, either. You will get answers here. There are a lot of folks with a lot of knowledge on this forum and we have everything from very experienced people to the newbie. Feel free to post any information that you run across that you think may be of use, too. We always appreciate the input.

I already posted the link to the Toyota 120 site in the Toyota Make and Model links. Thanks for that one. A good site with a lot of good information.

indeed, it was nice talking with you the other day and thanks for the referral. Brody, I am pumped to get that chop done and cheers for lending a hand, let me know if you are down with beer or some liquor, I love them both. if you abstain, we'll work on that as well. I am stoked to find another forum, especially with a local crowd. that being said I am looking forward to doing some trails out here in colorado. the 120 is a great community as well and I would recommend surfing that site if you have a 120 platform toyota, including the 4th and 5th generation 4runner, fj cruiser, the gx470, and the hilux and surf.

softg
February 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Welcome.
Like Matt said, Plans? Pics?

plans are listed and I think I put an album up, but it's just stock, and clean. neither of which are interesting. thanks for the welcome

mikem
February 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Welcome!

Medic-5150
February 6th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Welcome aboard! Are you going to be able to make the Meet and Greet run on the 27th?

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8313-2nd-Annual-Anniversary-Run-March-27th

KnuckleHead
February 6th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Welcome aboard.... looks like you have yourself a good project going as soon as the parts get in...

Funrover
February 6th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Welcome

Roo
February 6th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Welcome to FR4x4. Looks like you are gonna have alot of mods to install!

Roostercruiser
February 6th, 2010, 09:31 PM
welcome

softg
February 6th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Welcome aboard! Are you going to be able to make the Meet and Greet run on the 27th?

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8313-2nd-Annual-Anniversary-Run-March-27th

thanks for the welcome, I don't think so on the meet and greet though. well, maybe depending on the trail difficulty, but not in the 4runner. I have a stock discovery series I as well, but the 4runner, I am thinking will be done mid to late march at the earliest. I have school taking up 70-80 hours a week right now so time to squeeze in these installs is going to be hairy.

Medic-5150
February 6th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Aww man, that's a lot of school...It's an easy run, it's meant for everyone to be able to make it in just about all rigs. What's your major?

softg
February 6th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Aww man, that's a lot of school...It's an easy run, it's meant for everyone to be able to make it in just about all rigs. What's your major?

I'll get a degree in industrial design once things are said and done. the trip sounds like it would be fun for sure, but for the next 6 months or so my plans are on a week to week calendar and get reorganized on a priority basis. my wife is an auditor and loves her schedule something fierce, sarcasm implied, during the winters. she's working on sundays for the immediate future and for us to coordinate is almost impossible. I would love too, but until schools out in september, my social life is non-existant. thanks to everyone for the welcomes

Hypoid
February 7th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Welcome aboard!

softg
February 7th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Welcome aboard!

thanks. the signature is great and I can tell I'm gonna like it here

Mporter
February 7th, 2010, 12:08 PM
anyone want to join a build party?

I'm always up for a little wrenchin'

Just say when and where and ill see what I can do :)

softg
February 7th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I'm always up for a little wrenchin'

Just say when and where and ill see what I can do :)

cheers for the offer. as it is right now I am relying on a friend to maintain his relationship with his dad who owns a body shop. I've got fingers crossed, a lift, and the tools, would make much of this way easier. when the parts get here and the dates get closer I'll certainly let you know. very generous of you by the way. if this works out I'll certainly provide the food and beverage and gentlemanly cheer

AccordRanger
February 7th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Welcome! Always glad to have more members.
Its also nice to see someone wheeling newer 4 runners too:fing:

Mporter
February 8th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Yeah no problem, I saw you were in Denver, and im in Lakewood so it's not that far off.

And yes, lift + plethora of tools make a lift so much easier. Also Liquid Wrench, but that's for another 22 year old story (i.e. changing stuff on a cruiser that hasn't seen the light of day since it got bolted in the factory)

Fordguy77
February 8th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Welcome

softg
February 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah no problem, I saw you were in Denver, and im in Lakewood so it's not that far off.

And yes, lift + plethora of tools make a lift so much easier. Also Liquid Wrench, but that's for another 22 year old story (i.e. changing stuff on a cruiser that hasn't seen the light of day since it got bolted in the factory)

have you found a love of breaker bars?

softg
February 8th, 2010, 09:17 PM
feeling the love

Mporter
February 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM
have you found a love of breaker bars?

Breaker bars, impact wrenches, hydraulic lifts, the works lol

Red Rhino
February 9th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Welcome. We will help you break in the new Rig.

1freaky1
February 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the group, look forward to seeing the progress on your ride as it progresses along, take lots of pics and journal it up on here too.