PDA

View Full Version : Moab Preview

Chris
February 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Since a number of people are planning a Moab run depending on weather I thought I'd post this. Roktaxi and I planned a trip a long time ago and a friend from out of state was going to join us but has since decided against it. We're going ahead with our plans despite the iffy weather and DrUnit will be joining us. We'll be able to preview weather conditions since we're going the first weekend in March.

The three of us will be camping 2 nights at the White Crack campsite on the White Rim which has a three party limit. This is a small leisurely, scenic run that will be just the three of us and Barb & Betty. We'll post the conditions for everyone to consider how it may, or may not, effect plans for later trips. We have talked about Beef Basin/Ruins after White Rim but will take it as it comes and see if the weather will change out plans for us.

Smash
February 16th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Can't wait to hear all about it!

Pathrat
February 16th, 2010, 11:12 PM
so envious

Chris
February 17th, 2010, 07:43 AM
The three of us will be camping 2 nights at the White Crack campsite on the White Rim which has a three party limit.

That should be one night camping though we have the choice of which night which gives us a little leeway for weather and other considerations.

ROKTAXI
February 19th, 2010, 02:36 PM
The snow gods have descended on Moab. It's been snowing all day and this pattern is predicted though Monday. Not looking to good for us for our little trip to the White Rim. In fact it's looking pretty bleak. Other factors are also at play but the snow trumps most anything else. Even though it's about 9 days off, the weather projection for the next 10 days is looking wet. http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/mavalos27/Snow/After.jpg http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/mavalos27/Snow/Before.jpg

Chris
February 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Anyone interested in the great camping spots please contact Marty or Rob. I had to bow out due to health issues with my mother preventing me from going.

Smash
February 19th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Sorry to hear that Chris.

Chris
February 20th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks Ash, it sucks but it's the downside of getting old and is inevitable that stuff happens.

ROKTAXI
February 21st, 2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks Ash, it sucks but it's the downside of getting old and is inevitable that stuff happens.
After listening to Chris and what on the news about health care, I've decided not to get old... hope it's not too late.

Chris
February 21st, 2010, 08:28 AM
I'm with you Marty, the clock stops now before I reach 60. :lmao:

ROKTAXI
February 25th, 2010, 07:30 AM
See post #5. Another solid 2" of more snow last night. More is due on Saturday. :confused:

Chris
February 25th, 2010, 10:31 AM
That's just crazy Marty, I'll plan a Moab trip for July and hope for temps in the 70's :erm:

ROKTAXI
February 25th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Maybe this is just a test for us for when we move to Loveland... Don't think they get this much snow normally??

Andrew
February 25th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Loveland gets a decent amount of snow. Depends on the year. We seem to get storms right after you guys do.

ROKTAXI
February 25th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I would expect this kind of snow in northern CO, but we've had snow here (this is a DESERT) since the first week of Dec. The worst part is NO sun after the storms. Just cold,cloudy, foggy, dreary. That's actually the worst part. Don't mind the snow if the sun comes out once in a while. Yesterday was one of the rare days the sun came out. And today the sun came out about 1pm. That's a record!

Smash
February 25th, 2010, 04:25 PM
I used to live in Loveland (and Fort Collins before that) they seem to get more snow than Denver but really not bad at all. Usually plenty of sunshine between storms.

ROKTAXI
February 25th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I know come July (If I'm still here in Moab) I'll be complaining about the sunshine:o

ROKTAXI
March 4th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Just a little weather update... warmed up to the mid 50's today and now it's raining hard!... can't imagine being out on the White Rim with this moisture, and it's predicted to continue through the next week. Welcome to Spring.

Chris
March 4th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I guess we made the right decision on holding off.

ROKTAXI
March 4th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Making hard plans for a Moab trip is a crap shoot this time of year. Some years the weather is at it's best before Easter. Oh well.......... not this year

Air Randy
March 5th, 2010, 02:28 PM
So with it being mid 50's and hard rain, does that mean most of the snow is gone from the trails?

ROKTAXI
March 5th, 2010, 04:06 PM
So with it being mid 50's and hard rain, does that mean most of the snow is gone from the trails?

I'll be going out on Sunday thru Tuesday and will give a report then, but just looking out my window at the Moab Rim there's still a fair amount of snow on the north facing benches. I'll guess that the trails will still have snow on the shaded parts and will be definitely muddy. The rain melted most of the snow on the flats & south facing areas. We took the dog for a walk yesterday at the Hell's Revenge (exit) trail and it was pretty muddy. More rain is predicted for most of next week... Spring has sprung!

Chris
March 5th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Spring has sprung!

That's what we need to hear Marty! Have fun out there, wish I was going with you.

Rob
March 5th, 2010, 04:07 PM
just looking out my window at the Moab Rim

And you want to move to Loveland?!?!

ROKTAXI
March 5th, 2010, 04:14 PM
And you want to move to Loveland?!?!

Just not right is it:confused: I moved here 20 years ago and I never get tired of the surrounding beauty. I'll surely miss it but family trumps the views. It will only make it more special when I return from time to time. But it's time to get my eyeballs full of CO!!

Rob
March 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Just not right is it:confused: I moved here 20 years ago and I never get tired of the surrounding beauty. I'll surely miss it but family trumps the views. It will only make it more special when I return from time to time. But it's time to get my eyeballs full of CO!!

Understood about the family coming first. And Colorado does have a lot going for it.

ROKTAXI
March 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM
That's what we need to hear Marty! Have fun out there, wish I was going with you.

Come on down!! We'll leave the light on.....

Chris
March 5th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I plan to Marty, just got to take care of family stuff. ;)

Jackie
March 5th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I was in Moab in March /April of 2008. I had reservations for the Devil's Camp Ground in Arches, but it was so cold and rainy, I booked a nearby cabin (with a heater) instead and gave up my camp site. (The park service appreciated the fact that I stopped in and told them to re-sell it as I wouldn't be using it). I LOVE Moab - but not sure I'll try it in March or April again. May? Im in!!! July, August NO WAY!

Chris
March 5th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I like it in July, not very crowded. ;)

ROKTAXI
March 5th, 2010, 10:24 PM
I like it in July, not very crowded. ;)
I've been here long enough to say that some March weather has been GREAT and some has been pretty crummy. July & August are for the lizards although I use to go out in the early am and be back by noon. The hottest part of the day is after 1 or 2 pm. However, nothing compared to Phoenix area or Las Vegas. At least we have several year round streams and a lake close by to cool off.

Pathrat
March 5th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I have done Moab from March to September, with the exception of July. You just have to watch the weather and reports. Thanks so much Roxtaxi for the reports! My aunt and uncle live in Moab and they have been mirroring what you have said but I am looking forward to your trail report.

Air Randy
March 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I was in Moab last week Thur-Sat. The weather was beautiful Fri & Sat, we left late Sat night. I did Poison Spider on Friday and Metal Masher on Saturday. Those trails were dry but another group tried Porcupine Rim and only made it 300 yards before they hit a solid 18 inches of snow. That particular trail is very shaded on the North side thus why there is so much snow left. It is getting warm during the day though so it should be passable in a few more weeks.

The new mini truck rig worked great! Heres a few pictures of it crawling the Rock Chucker obstacle and Kim on Poison Spider.

Haku
March 17th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Nice.....saw the report on Rising Sun too. Thats a new Exo right? You make that or is the Redline sticker on there because he did it? Dig the lines, might have to copy that a bit when I make mine.

JH

Red Rhino
March 17th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Nice rig and pics. Look like heaven in one of the worlds best playgrounds. I will be in Moab next week. OOOOH YA!

Bryan

Air Randy
March 18th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Nice.....saw the report on Rising Sun too. Thats a new Exo right? You make that or is the Redline sticker on there because he did it? Dig the lines, might have to copy that a bit when I make mine.

JH

Justin built it for me. I'm OK with welding and the mechanical stuff but I would never have the patience to bend & fit to make something that nice.

Haku
March 18th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Justin built it for me. I'm OK with welding and the mechanical stuff but I would never have the patience to bend & fit to make something that nice.

I hear ya. I'm definitely a bit daunted by the task myself. Tubing ain't cheap, and its easy to mess it up. Worth it in the end though. I think the first couple bends and notches will be nerve racking but after that it won't be horrible. Looking good, and can't wait for my own Moab trip coming up in April.

JH