PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry and Firearms Training

Brody
February 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
This person is the guy to go to for basic to advanced firearms and weapons training. He also runs Concealed Carry classes. He is a NRA Certified Instructor and a NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Certified Instructor.

Andrew (Gunny) Reinhardt
PROFIRE USA, Inc
Firearms Academy and Protective Services
Nationwide: 800-535-6813
Thornton: 303-309-1176
Thornton, CO Colorado Springs, CO Jackson, WY Miami, FL

Andrew
February 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Someday...I need to be able to afford a handgun first.

For now someone is just gonna have to get a 12ga with double ought shot at them.

Rusty
February 22nd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks Pete that's some thing i'm going to be looking into this summer. Good to have the info!

Brody
February 22nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
For now someone is just gonna have to get a 12ga with double ought shot at them.

Works....dump some of the shot out and throw a 1/2" ball bearing on top. Nice and effective. Large hole.

Andrew
February 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
eh...I could always get slugs.

scout man
February 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
This is high on my list. I actualy got a class from the fiance as a xmas present, but havnt had a chance to use it as the money for it didnt stick around too long after that. Hopefully in the next month or so though.

Brody
February 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Get some people interested here and I'll try to set up some sort of a group discount.

billsbar
February 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks Pete that's some thing i'm going to be looking into this summer. Good to have the info!

hopefully they won't go and change the laws on you in April, I took my training with Rich Wyatt at Gunsmoke

Air Randy
February 22nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
eh...I could always get slugs.

Actually for home defense you don't want a handgun or a shotgun with slugs or ball bearings. The shotgun has plenty of stopping power even without 00 buckshot and most people will hit what they're aiming at with the shotgun. Regular old BB size shot works fine. Most people aren't good with handguns especially when under stress. A shotgun with a slug or ball bearing can actually penetrate multiple internal walls of the house or even exit the house and into a neghbors home. When I was a cop we actually tested all of these various weapons to determine the risk of hitting innocent people in other rooms & adjacent homes for high risk SWAT entries, etc.

dustytrader
February 22nd, 2010, 06:28 PM
There is always a class at the Tanner Gun Show at the Comfort Inn at I25 and 58th to get your training for a CWP. It is only $115 and lasts under 3 hours, includes gun rental and shooting. It's good for people that have plenty of experience, but wouldn't suggest it for someone that actually needs the training.

Andrew
February 22nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
Actually for home defense you don't want a handgun or a shotgun with slugs or ball bearings. The shotgun has plenty of stopping power even without 00 buckshot and most people will hit what they're aiming at with the shotgun. Regular old BB size shot works fine. Most people aren't good with handguns especially when under stress. A shotgun with a slug or ball bearing can actually penetrate multiple internal walls of the house or even exit the house and into a neghbors home. When I was a cop we actually tested all of these various weapons to determine the risk of hitting innocent people in other rooms & adjacent homes for high risk SWAT entries, etc.

Bird shot is not good enough, I can tell you that.

scout man
February 22nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
There is always a class at the Tanner Gun Show at the Comfort Inn at I25 and 58th to get your training for a CWP. It is only $115 and lasts under 3 hours, includes gun rental and shooting. It's good for people that have plenty of experience, but wouldn't suggest it for someone that actually needs the training.

IMO, for the same price (or close) you can do a class with a knowledgable hands on shooting instructor to actually coach your shooting as well. I am a very good shot (ask anyone who has seen me shoot), but that said I am not going to pass up the chance to improve my shot with some professional training. Gun show classes are one of the things that are likely to get CCW shut down forever. Too many half assed classes putting guns in the hands of people that dont have the proper training and end up giving all CCW a bad name. I strongly suggest going to a real class and putting the time in, not only to improve yourself for when you need it, but also to take the time to fully understand the laws and how to protect yourself should you ever have to use the weapon as self defense.

Mporter
February 22nd, 2010, 07:46 PM
Green Mountain Family Shooting Center in lakewood offers a CCW class as well.

Great bunch of people there, very knowledgeable too.

dustytrader
February 22nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
IMO, for the same price (or close) you can do a class with a knowledgable hands on shooting instructor to actually coach your shooting as well. I am a very good shot (ask anyone who has seen me shoot), but that said I am not going to pass up the chance to improve my shot with some professional training. Gun show classes are one of the things that are likely to get CCW shut down forever. Too many half assed classes putting guns in the hands of people that dont have the proper training and end up giving all CCW a bad name. I strongly suggest going to a real class and putting the time in, not only to improve yourself for when you need it, but also to take the time to fully understand the laws and how to protect yourself should you ever have to use the weapon as self defense.

I agree if you aren't familiar with the laws and are not an experienced weapons handler, those classes are crap. Although, I carried a handgun and qualified quarterly for 9 years and didn't want to spend 8 hours in a class when I could get what I needed in 3.

scout man
February 22nd, 2010, 08:20 PM
I agree if you aren't familiar with the laws and are not an experienced weapons handler, those classes are crap. Although, I carried a handgun and qualified quarterly for 9 years and didn't want to spend 8 hours in a class when I could get what I needed in 3.

thats understandable. I dont recommend it for a first time CCW though. I am very comfortable and confident with a handgun, but will still go for more training. Although if I had the training previously I would certainly just go take the class.

dustytrader
February 22nd, 2010, 08:25 PM
thats understandable. I dont recommend it for a first time CCW though. I am very comfortable and confident with a handgun, but will still go for more training. Although if I had the training previously I would certainly just go take the class.

I actually chewed the instructors' (2 young kids) ass a little for giving such a vague class and for not explaining when it is proper to use your weapon. I have to agree that the class was crap, but I needed it to get my permit for Colorado.

There was a first time shooter in the class and she didn't have a clue what she was doing....and now she will have a permit...Kinda scary in a way.

WINKY
February 22nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
birdshot at very close range is lethal. then once they are down finish them off.

Brody
February 23rd, 2010, 06:02 AM
Dimes are the first load in the 12 for the home defense loads. They don't do much to anything other than tissue unless you are very close. The following rounds tend to get nasty. If anything goes through the outer walls or interior walls, then there is going to be enough stuff going on that wall penetration is not an issue. Since the other gun is a 44 with hot loads, they do tend to go through most anything. Both the guns are always hot since it is only LaDawn and myself living here. If I happen to get tagged by flying lead because some round went through a wall, then I was either not paying attention, was standing up too high, or was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time...stuff that would tend to happen to anyone when there was a firefight going on...

Since 9mm rounds, even +P+ rounds don't penetrate too much stuff, I don't like them even though they are very popular. I happen to like stuff that will go through walls...44 magnum 300 gr hardened rounds and 12 gauge sabot rounds...That way Mr In The Wrong House/Wrong Time hiding behind a drywall and wood framed wall with the 9mm plinker is going to get a big surprise...

I see the point though and am not discounting it by any means, but am merely stating that whether or not the rounds I have in my weapons penetrate walls isn't of much concern to me personally. I don't have kids either, nor do we have many guests that stay in the house. I have only one other person to keep track of, LaDawn, and anyone else simply doesn't belong in the house.

I hope that this situation never happens, but it is better to be prepared than not. Gun safety is something everyone should be concerned about and have basic or more knowledge of, period. Many of us have grown up with guns or have had military experience. We have had gun safety drilled into us so that it is ingrained...all guns are loaded, you don't point a gun at anyone unless you intend to actually use it, you do not fire your weapon if there are people down range, you index your trigger finger until you are ready to fire your weapon, etc., etc., etc....Surprisingly enough...and sadly enough...many, many people do not know the most basic stuff about guns or gun safety. That is what most of these (besides the concealed carry classes) teach. And people who own guns need to know this stuff.

RidgeRunner
February 23rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
Protective Services, www.pstcco.com (http://www.pstcco.com) , does a very good class too. I beleive its $125 and the class is 8 hours, 4 in the class room and 4 on the range. The instructors are very experienced and they do an excelent job of teaching laws AND the basics of handling, drawing from concealment, and firing your weapon.

I origionaly took my class at Gunsmoke and that was only 4 hours in the classroom. Alot of prople left that classroom that had no buisness carrying a gun because thay had no experience firing an actual gun.

Red Rhino
February 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I have been wanting to get my Concealed Carry for a long time. I would be interested in a group discount.

Brody
February 25th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Let me talk to Gunny and see what he needs to do a group thing.