PDA

View Full Version : Tires for the Wrangler

Mr6dwg
March 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I will soon be in the market for new tires. I began looking around different stores to see what is being "offered these days". I don't see much in the line of new, and the price for the size I am looking at is $200 and up. I was really trying to cut back a little, but when I look at what is out there, I don't necessarily want any of those all weather tires. I am interested in the mud/snow tire. I am not too worried about "road noise". Since all of the tires I have looked at are within $10 - $20 dollars apart, I can't make up my mind on what to get. I have run the BFG TA/KO and the KM, and their Mud tire, Goodyear MT/R, ProComt XTerrain. Since the tires are relatively prices the same, the next thing to consider would be the quality. Would anybody have an opinions on quality of one tire versus another one?

Andrew
March 9th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I would NOT get ProComp. Crappy tires.

BFG and GY are good ones and I have run both the BFG AT's and the GY MT/R's (on there now).

I have heard good things about the new version of the MT/Rs' also, and I would probably get those. The BFG mudders I hear people saying they wear quicker, but that can be subjective.

Anyway, what I would do is check Craigslist to see if you can find something used in the size you want.

Brody
March 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I would NOT get ProComp. Crappy tires.

Anyway, what I would do is check Craigslist to see if you can find something used in the size you want.

X2 on both and an very heavy DO NOT GET PRO COMP TIRES reiteration from me...unless you simply like cheese thin sidewalls that puncture with sharp pine needles. Total POS tires...

Ditto with Goodyear MT/Rs. A very nice tire.

Here is great non biased link to tire reviews by wheelers:

http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showcat.php?cat=3

cfr
March 9th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I just went through this. My short list was,

1) Toyo Mud Country MT (tough as nails, but too $$$ for me)
2) Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar
3) Goodyear Duratrac

I ended up with the Duratrac as I was worried about noise with the MT/R. The Duratrac has been an excellent winter tire. I often debate if I should have gone with the new MT/R w/kevlar but am happy so far.

JeffX
March 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Very few tires will do well in both mud and snow. My MT/Rs are like skis on the hardpack.

The new MT/Rs are better (in snow), but not much cheaper. I've run GoodYear, BFG (and others). I prefer GoodYear, if money is no object.

I've had good luck with private label tires, but many arent available in larger sizes. What size do you need?

SCRubicon
March 10th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Stay away from Dick Cepek Mud Countrys. Junk... I'd never buy them again. Anyhow, check out some info on the Yokohama Geolander MT Plus. They're getting great reviews.

BlackRubi
March 10th, 2010, 09:49 AM
The best rated tire on tirerack.com for off-road traction is the Firestone Destination M/T. They're also considerably cheaper than the others. I was looking at the new MT/Rs, For the size I wanted (285/75/16) they were $288 at the Firestone shop, but on Tirerack, they were $192. The guys at Firestone said if I brought in the add, they would price match. I would look at tirerack.com. They have a breakdown of comparisons, which include road noise, dry traction, wet traction, snow traction (both light and heavy), and so on.

Medic-5150
March 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I'm running the km2s on my truck. My only complaint is that they're not great on snow, but that seems to be pretty universal for mudders. They're quiet on the road, not much noisier than the ATs I had on it before. So far they're wearing well, I've got about 10k on them. They handle well on pavement, and excellent on dirt. I've taken a couple chunks out of them, but they're on a fullsize truck and I tend to use the skinny pedal. They've been great to me :)

Smash
March 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Just to throw in another inexpensive option, check out General's Grabber AT2. Same tread design basically as the BFG A/T. I'm on my second set on the forester, with no complaints. I even got a mileage warranty. I will be looking hard at those to replace my BFG M/Ts on the 'burb when they wear out, unless my financial situation changes significantly.

Andrew
March 10th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I have actually found my MT/R's very good in snow - now not hard pack/ice type stuff, but fresher snow they do very well and can dig through where an AT tire would get stuck.

Smash
March 10th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Good point Andrew, while I haven't had A/Ts on the 'burb, I have noticed the treads clear faster and easier on the BFG M/Ts than on my General A/Ts.

Mr6dwg
March 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys for your input. After researching this, I have about decided to get the BFG TA KM2's, if I don't find a better store to sell the Goodyear MT/R's. I've had both the Goodrich and Goodyear tires. I thought the Goodyears were a little noisier than the Goodrich tires. But, I don't really care too much about that. It is a Jeep!! So far the price has been Goodrich - $212 and Goodyear - $229. Once I get my tires replaced, I will tag along on some of these snow runs. I can't wait to get back out "with the guys". Thanks again.

Medic-5150
March 10th, 2010, 11:26 AM
get them from Discount tire. They'll price match any add. they also offer certs whfor a few dollars extra per tire but you get a lifetime warranty on them.

Andrew
March 10th, 2010, 11:40 AM
x2 on Discount. Get the warranty. Even if you bust a sidewalll offroading, they replace em. They are really pretty good about it. It's worth paying more vs. Craigslist in that respect.

Also - they will price match tirerack.com - but they will likely need a total cost (including shipping) and then they will divide it up. Or you could get lucky and get some new guy and get them pricematched at just the price without shipping.

Mr6dwg
March 11th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I decided to get the BFG TA/KM2 tires. They are selling for a mere $212 apiece 33x12.50x15. Once I paid for them, he tells me that there is a 2 month wait list for them. NOW WHAT!!! My snow wheeling is done for this year, but at least it will definitely be ready for the summer.

Andrew
March 11th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Lame. I would have made them refund me and went somewhere else. They should have told you about the wait up front. Probably the same wait everywhere, but they should have told you first.

Mporter
March 11th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah thats bullshit....I knew there was a wait on em for some retailers....but AFTER you have paid? I mean do the courtesy of mentioning it as the total comes up.

Fordguy77
March 11th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah thats bullshit....I knew there was a wait on em for some retailers....but AFTER you have paid? I mean do the courtesy of mentioning it as the total comes up.

i looked into getting the km2s on the 77, they told me there was a 4 month wait for them, so i ended up snagging the last set of 33x10.5r15's kms discount tire had in the country. Got real lucky.

DETN8R
March 12th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Cant go wrong with the BFG KM2s

JeffX
March 12th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I have actually found my MT/R's very good in snow - now not hard pack/ice type stuff, but fresher snow they do very well and can dig through where an AT tire would get stuck.

I agree with that. Great for powder-bustin. Scary as f*ck on off-camber ice.

Haku
March 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I know I'm late to the punch on this....but I've had my eye on the Pitbull Rocker Radials of late. They might be a bit on the extreme side for something driven daily, but they will make up for it offroad. They have made them in Bias Ply, and they have made their way to being known as the best rock traction tire out there that isn't a competition compound. With the Radial out now, they finally offer a tire that can be used for non-trailered rigs. Here is a picture of the a Jeep with them on...

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff243/bennettj13/Jeep%20Poser%20Pics/DSCF2587.jpg

These are 35x12.5x16 I believe, and the places I have seen them online sell them for $243 for a 15" rim or $264 for 16" rim per tire (not including shipping). Might be a bit out of your price range, but are available now and will do awesome offroad and decent onroad. I'll be ordering a set of the 37" version of these as soon as I can save up the money for it.

JH

JeffX
March 13th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I didn't know they had those 12.50 width. Very cool.