PDA

View Full Version : General Mechanics

Zatticus
March 13th, 2010, 11:08 PM
What are some general mechanical things to do to your vehicle that would make it run better?

I'm trying to learn things about the engine and such, just trying to find a good starting place.
: )

foxtrot
March 13th, 2010, 11:18 PM
change the oil :D

if you want more performance, the basics is air intake an exhaust. but before you do any mods, I always make sure nothing needs to be fixed, and all the basics are working good.

Zatticus
March 13th, 2010, 11:30 PM
I did that 2 weeks ago,
And Spark plugs and air filter,

How do I diagnose problems that need to be fixed?

Like when I first start my truck. It accelerates REALLY slowly, sometimes. other times its fine.
-.-

But I plan on getting CAI and a new exhaust

foxtrot
March 13th, 2010, 11:36 PM
it just depends. it could be that its just cold. my truck, when put into gear, doesnt actually have power for like 5 seconds. as far as an exhaust, don't go too big. the only cars that you can put huge exhausts on are turbo cars. all others need some sort of back pressure, but a little bigger than stock with a high flow cat and a muffler to make it sound good would be perfect. on my truck, the first thing i did to my engine was replace all of the parts designed to wear out : belt, tensioner assembly, idler pulley, alternator, water pump. jus the basics

Zatticus
March 13th, 2010, 11:51 PM
idk, maybe, My CEL keeps coming on, and I get an EGR valve code, but I don't think it's something necessarily wrong with the valve, I'mma clean it soon and find out though., I wasn't planning on going SUPER big,
But I was thinking something like a cherry-bomb glass-pack or Flowmaster super44
But haven't looked much into them yet,
My belts seem fine right now, but I've not checked all of them indepth, alternator still works great, not sure about the water pump,
but I do need to fix my AC, it needs recharged and won't turn off all the way.
/;

Speedwagon
March 14th, 2010, 01:00 AM
I did that 2 weeks ago,
And Spark plugs and air filter,

How do I diagnose problems that need to be fixed?

Like when I first start my truck. It accelerates REALLY slowly, sometimes. other times its fine.
-.-

But I plan on getting CAI and a new exhaust

You have the 3.0, yes? There is almost nothing you can do, to make that engine faster. It just doesn't respond well to performance upgrades. I would advise keeping your money in your wallet, or spend it on other things. Do an exhaust if you want some noise, but not because you want more pep from a 3.0. I had a Flowmaster 50 series on my '92 3.0 because the factory muffler was falling off, and I got the flowmaster at a great price. It sounded nice, but I don't know that I'd go 40 series on a 3.0.

Brody
March 14th, 2010, 04:22 AM
it just depends. it could be that its just cold. my truck, when put into gear, doesnt actually have power for like 5 seconds. as far as an exhaust, don't go too big. the only cars that you can put huge exhausts on are turbo cars. all others need some sort of back pressure, but a little bigger than stock with a high flow cat and a muffler to make it sound good would be perfect. on my truck, the first thing i did to my engine was replace all of the parts designed to wear out : belt, tensioner assembly, idler pulley, alternator, water pump. jus the basics

X2. On an engine like a small V6 or 4 banger , especially in a 4x4 where you need the low end grunt, going too big on the exhaust will kill your low end power and torque.

Change all the plug wires, distributor cap, rotor and all of that junk. Don't get too fancy as you won't get any real gains. Change the PCV, too. Check to see what size vacuum hose you have and buy some 'per foot' hose from Checker or Auto Zone and change all of you vac lines and vacuum caps...

Zatticus
March 14th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Killjoys.
D;

Ok, Plugs, distributor caps, pcv and vacuum hoses

I did meet a guy who builds custom superchargers for 3.0 and 4.0 Rangers. Do superchargers help torque too?

Fordguy77
March 14th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Killjoys.
D;

I did meet a guy who builds custom superchargers for 3.0 and 4.0 Rangers. Do superchargers help torque too?
Super chargers increase your over all power band for both torque and hp. But like said above the 3.0 does have much after market performance support. When you changed your spark plugs did you gap them slightly over? I know on older stuff when the gap is supposed to be 44 thousandths i was told to gap them at 47 by this old guy who runs a 69 firebird up at bandimere. It helps very little but helps

Fordguy77
March 14th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Killjoys.
D;

Super chargers increase your over all power band for both torque and hp. But like said above the 3.0 does have much after market performance support. When you changed your spark plugs did you gap them slightly over? I know on older stuff when the gap is supposed to be 44 thousandths i was told to gap them at 47 by this old guy who runs a 69 firebird up at bandimere. It helps very little but helps

Fordguy77
March 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Killjoys.
D;

I could be wrong but i dont think you have a distributor on your motor. Mine is a 91 ranger and i have a coil pack....

Fordguy77
March 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I have read for the 2.9 V6 and the 4.0 V6 used in rangers that an ideal exhaust for them is a single pipe 2.5" ID. Not sure about the 3.0 but i would imagine that its somewhere near the same

Brody
March 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I could be wrong but i dont think you have a distributor on your motor. Mine is a 91 ranger and i have a coil pack....

You are probably right. I didn't really look at Zach's engine, so I just threw that out under 'general maintenance'...

Yes, superchargers help torque, but for the $3k or so for a supercharger, you are much better off just tossing in a bigger motor and having some bucks left over unless you find someone selling it dirt cheap...You are much better off simply maintaining the engine you have and not tossing money on this motor. You could stick in a used 5.0L for way less than the supercharger....

Fordguy77
March 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Yes, superchargers help torque, but for the $3k or so for a supercharger, you are much better off just tossing in a bigger motor and having some bucks left over unless you find someone selling it dirt cheap...
x2 on this. The only reason i have even looked at a super charger for the 4.0 is because there are some people claiming 335hp and 450lbs with them on built 4.0l. So if you do get one of them old explorers or rangers you might be in luck. But as i have found out, its cheaper to buy a long block than it is to rebuild

Zatticus
March 14th, 2010, 01:08 PM
A guy was selling them for 1k and 100+ HP boost, didn't go indepth so I'm not sure about torque. I honestly have no idea what a distributor cap or coil pack look like or located. at all. I fail, that much. : )

I want something fast and powerful though, i'm nor sure whats more, an explorer, f150, or ranger 4.0 from pre 95 and the 3.slow is, well. slow.

I'd love to have a 5.0 under the hood, but as chris pointed out, it would pretty much be overkill on my little truck.

Fordguy77
March 14th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Well its not too much over kill to be honest. I know of some guys running stroked 302's (5.0) which are around 347cubic inches, that put out some serious power. There are just more mods required to do this swap. And the 4.0L is almost a bolt in swap.

Zatticus
March 14th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Ohh, well I always knew it would take a lot more modification,
Just don't know how much it would take and how long it would take.
And with a 5.0, particularly a mustang 5.0, you can do just about anything to it to make it run faster, stronger and better.
I'm just trying to decide if I still want to go that route or not. But I like to go fast.
I know that if I did do a 5.0 swap, I'd need a new transmission and drive train.
D;

Fordguy77
March 14th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Well to be honest it doesn't matter what the 5.0 comes out of, they all have the same potential. The 5.0L was produced for some 38 years, so there is tons of aftermarket support for it. It is in all sorts of cars through out the ages. Its in f150, broncos, explorers, crown vics, mustangs, econvans, and all sorts of others. Dont be fooled and let anyone tell you the mustang 5.0 is the best.

Fordguy77
March 14th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Just don't know how much it would take and how long it would take.
There are a few company's such as James Duff, and Broncograveyard that make all sorts of the things needed for the conversion into rangers and BIIs

Zatticus
March 14th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah,
I may start lookin for Diesels too, like a Cummins,

This guy has a pretty sweet one, but his stuff is ALL custom, it looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgHixX37lb0&feature=related

I'm not sure what I really want yet, plenty of time before I'll have the money for an engine swap to make up my mind.
But a diesel would be pretty sweet.

Fordguy77
March 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Well as soon as you start looking at diesels you just about tripled your price for the motor alone. Just a factor to consider. Also your putting a lot of weight on the front end with nothing in the back of a very light truck. But still would be cool. I have always wanted to put a cummins or a powerstroke in an old mid 70's f250

Zatticus
March 14th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Haha, I know.
But It'd be worth it. The only problem I really have with it, is the weight thing.

Speedwagon
March 14th, 2010, 05:23 PM
You are probably right. I didn't really look at Zach's engine, so I just threw that out under 'general maintenance'...

Yes, superchargers help torque, but for the $3k or so for a supercharger, you are much better off just tossing in a bigger motor and having some bucks left over unless you find someone selling it dirt cheap...You are much better off simply maintaining the engine you have and not tossing money on this motor. You could stick in a used 5.0L for way less than the supercharger....

The 3.0 has a distributor. Back of the engine, PITA to change.

Rob
March 14th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Change all the plug wires, distributor cap, rotor and all of that junk. Don't get too fancy as you won't get any real gains. Change the PCV, too.

I just did all that to the 40 (plus a new air filter and fuel filter), and the gain was that it start easier and runs better now. Worth the cost of the parts.

Chris
March 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
You don't need much power off road so focus on the stuff that matters instead of power. Oh, maybe turning that 2wd into 4wd would be the place to start. ;)

Rob
March 14th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Oh, maybe turning that 2wd into 4wd would be the place to start. :) Ya think?
Or go ahead and trade it in for something with 4wd.

Chris
March 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM
:lmao: It's a good start, eh Rob?

Chris
March 14th, 2010, 08:07 PM
BTW Rob, Keith and Kyle are out in my garage taking another run at Kyle's RMS. Yep, I'm sitting here on the sofa. ;)

Rob
March 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM
BTW Rob, Keith and Kyle are out in my garage taking another run at Kyle's RMS. Yep, I'm sitting here on the sofa. ;)

That's where you should be. :thunb: Hope it goes well this time.

Rob
March 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM
:lmao: It's a good start, eh Rob?

'Struth. Methinks it would be easier and cheaper. And he could join us on trails runs sooner.

Zatticus
March 14th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Haha, I know that. 2wd into 4wd and new front axle is my starting point. I started this thread trying to find things to make it run better.
It just ended up turning into new engines. LOL

Trading it in
Well it's just not any fun.
I want the joy of being able to say "I did that!"

Rob
March 14th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Do a full tune and get after that conversion. Worry about the other stuff once you have a fully functional four-wheel drive. ;)

Zatticus
March 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM
How might I go about this, full tune?
Is that the stuff like filters, spark plugs, wires and distributor cap as Pete pointed out earlier?

Rob
March 14th, 2010, 09:40 PM
How might I go about this, full tune?
Is that the stuff like filters, spark plugs, wires and distributor cap as Pete pointed out earlier?

Yep. Plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, PCV valve, air filter (if it needs it) and fuel filter. Easy to do it all yourself, too. Just make sure you have a spark plug socket on hand.

Zatticus
March 14th, 2010, 09:51 PM
It's got fresh plugs, Air, Fuel and Oil Filter, Oil change about three weeks ago, Now I just need distributor cap and rotor as well as the PCV valve,

Distributor cap, thats the other end of where all your spark plug wires go isn't it?
D;

That means it's going to be a major PITA to change.

Major Suck!

Brody
March 15th, 2010, 06:24 AM
It's got fresh plugs, Air, Fuel and Oil Filter, Oil change about three weeks ago, Now I just need distributor cap and rotor as well as the PCV valve,

Distributor cap, thats the other end of where all your spark plug wires go isn't it?
D;

That means it's going to be a major PITA to change.

Major Suck!

Take the new cap and look at the top. You will sometimes see the firing order next to the wire hole. The easiest thing to do is to hold the new cap in the same orientation as the old one, and remove and reinstall the plug wires ONE AT A TIME. This keeps you from screwing up the firing order and save a huge amount of 'WTF??!!' when you have done all the good stuff and find your rig is now running (if it actually starts) like total s***. Most of us have done this at one time or another...or have conveniently put the distributor in backwards if we have had it out...

Zatticus
March 15th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Haha, I had my Aunts husband change my sparkplugs before I knew how, and he got the firing order wrong, it started and idled fine, but as soon as i tried to go, I was all WTF?!?!

Well that doesn't sound too hard then, just a PITA

But what is the Rotor that you guys are talking about?
Only rotor I know of is the Brake rotor,

Chris
March 15th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Again, that wonderful Google proves invaluable: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system.htm

Zatticus
March 15th, 2010, 11:39 AM
It really did, I just got a bunch of stuff on Rotary engines when I tried to find it on google. But thanks for that diagram. I know what you guys are talking about now.

Rob
March 15th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Again, that wonderful Google proves invaluable: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system.htm

When are you going to start charging a commission for free-lance googling? :)

Chris
March 16th, 2010, 07:34 AM
When are you going to start charging a commission for free-lance googling? :)

Maybe I should merge this with the education thread. ;)

Zatticus
March 16th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Hah,