http://blog.sherweb.com/how-cars-are-turning-you-into-crappier-drivers/

Is that enough proof?
Parking assist, Lane keeping assist,
Too much technology.
We need to keep it a little more, simpletonzorz
:D

SubaCool
March 19th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I have to agree. I get to see this everytime I'm at work. They need to install a master on/off switch for all those little extras. F*in takes fun out of it if I can't turn off the traction control to power slide on a dirt road/snow :rolleyes:

Another thing is the bill you get once those little do-hickeys break. You'll wish you've never had them.

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 01:23 AM
haha, exactly.
It even takes the fun out of driving. Luckily the only thing on my truck like that is ABS.
; D

foxtrot
March 19th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I hate abs horribly. I was driving my dads 2000 chevy blazer with abs, i went around a corner to my driveway, and the drive was about 10 feet away, hit the brakes and the abs kicked in (was very icy). I actually slid up my super steep driveway and into my closed garage door. with no abs, I would have slid to a stop at the bottom

SubaCool
March 19th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Luckily the only thing on my truck like that is ABS
I don't even have that and I couldn't be happier. My 03 Sentra comes with just the right amount of creature comfort: electric windows and mirrors, ac/heater, radio, gauges, 1.8l of screaming fury, 5spd MT, and power steering (which sorta works) :D The only thing I'd wish for is a limited slip diff and maybe a SR20DET :rolleyes:

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 02:16 AM
haha,
I'm pretty sure you can remove it. but it wouldn't be easy.
lol

aha. Powersteering is pretty amazing too.
but without it. you build up some forearm muscle pretty quick. XD

Speedwagon
March 19th, 2010, 06:11 AM
haha,
I'm pretty sure you can remove it. but it wouldn't be easy.
lol

aha. Powersteering is pretty amazing too.
but without it. you build up some forearm muscle pretty quick. XD

You can 'remove' ABS by simply pulling a fuse, on most vehicles. Completely disables the ABS module, which I had to do in my Legacy when I lost a sensor(having only one tire lockup in snowy conditions is a little scary).

And I do believe your Ranger should have rear ABS only. They might have front for that year, I'm not positive though.

But if you really don't want technology while you drive, go ride a bicycle. It doesn't get any simpler than that. Most Americans drive way too much as it is.

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Yeah, it only has rear ABS, I didn't think about just pulling the fuse.

I wish I could ride a bicycle everywhere, but I have to drive too far to school everyday.
D;

SubaCool
March 19th, 2010, 07:57 AM
a bicycle. It doesn't get any simpler than that.
Unicycle :D Or you can walk :fing:

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Unicycles are complicated.
D;

Andrew
March 19th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Yeah there's a lot of BS we don't need. I hate things moving to electronic. I don't need a push button for 4x4, just give me a shifter!

My truck has ABS and that's about it, and the Maxima has power windows/locks/alarm, and no traction control crap or anything like that.

What I really hate are those beeping seat belt notifier things. The Camry has that crap along with ABS and stupid gas pedal being computerized. Not that I don't wear one, but when getting dropped off I take off my belt in the parking lot. Also, it apparently thinks that my bowling ball should be buckled in. Putting that or anything heavy in the seat causes the stupid seat belt chime to come on. Stupid.

AccordRanger
March 19th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Abs never has helped me. The abs on the Honda went out last winter and i didnt bother to try to fix it, liked it better that way. Mine doesnt even work on the Explorer. This summer i want to get rid of the bs control trac 4wd and electric transfer case altogether. Not a fan of the fly by wire crap either.
This is why i like the big old pickups, non of that fancy crap.

And what about all the people who have only driven a car that has all of these features? If they ever have to drive a car without them for whatever reason, i do not see that ending well.

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I found a forum how-to on how you can remove the seatbelt chime, it was for rangers but it might still work for your car. I'm not sure how the electronics are in different cars for such things.
I'm getting a manual shifter transfercase to not deal with more electronics.
Computerized gas pedals scare me, thats why toyotas gas pedals failed. Damn electronics.
D;<

Theres too many people that don't know how to drive. They should just have to take better driving courses rather than adding dumb stuff to cars.
;)
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-tos/2759-how-deactivating-activating-beltminder-feature-seatbelt-chime.html

Andrew
March 19th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Yeah computers should not be trusted with acceleration or braking. That needs to be purely mechanical IMO. No reason to make it all electronic.

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I don't understand what the benefits of electronic acceleration or braking. It's not very hard to push a mechanical gas pedal.
Or brakes for that matter.
-.-

BlackRubi
March 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I don't quite understand how the collision mitigation brake system makes people crappy drivers. I general, people aren't out looking to get in a wreck. Why would the car automatically tightening seatbelts and applying the brake a little be a bad thing? I compared it to the IHCC (Intelligent Highway Cruise Control)...awesome system, by the way. You can either set your speed, or set your distance from the car in front of you. The wife's car has it and I think it's great.

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Thats one of the only ones I couldn't figure out either. But it's more just in general, all these electronics in cars are making people not know how to drive a car and just the car. I personally love older cars, particularly muscle cars just to feel the raw power of them.
IHCC can match the speed of the car infront of you?
;o!

scout man
March 19th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Im sorry, I have a huge huge problem with the one that keeps you from swerving out of your lane, and will NEVER buy anything with it, unless I am looking to sue someone fast. It automatically turns your wheel to keep you in your lane?? What if I am swerving for a reaason? What if there is a box of nails in the road, or a baby, or Zach? And what happens when you enter one of those spots where they have re-drawn the lines and even I have a hard time deciding where the lane acutally goes? You expect me to beleive my car can make a smarter decision than I can in that situation?

I dont have a huge problem with the one that just gives you a light and a ping if you are changing lanes without signaling. It could at least wake you up if thats the problem. Hell, I would even support one that punches you in the face if you change lanes without signaling, as most people these days dont seem to know they exsist.

Also dont have a problem with the blind spot sensor, although it could get very annoying. And if it is like the backup sensors, it will beep and freak you out when there really isnt anything there. I hate those backup sensors and just turn them off, as they beep like the world is ended when you are 5 feet away from something. I cant even imagine trying to wheel in a vehicle that has it.

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM
What if there is a box of nails in the road, or a baby, or Zach?

It would run me over! Computer fail.
D;

I thought that one was pretty ridiculous for a number of reasons.

I'm not really a fan of any of them.
Some do the driving for you, some warn you of things that aren't there, some just make you lazy.

Technology is just too, lame.
D;

Except for computers and mp3 players of course.
: D

Mr6dwg
March 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
My funny with the cars and technology is that people will get out of their car, walk (put a number on it) feet, and click their door lock button.

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I like just being able to push the button INSIDE the car to lock them. Manual Power Locks.
Not remote locks. I'd forget.
D;

BlackRubi
March 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah, the IHCC will match the speed of the car in front of you. If they speed up, you speed up, if they slow down, so do you.
I think the device that keeps you in your lane is only if you're slowly drifting into another lane. Infiniti has a lane departure warning that beeps if you are moving into a different lane (but I think it only beeps if you aren't signaling a lane change).

Andrew
March 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM
My funny with the cars and technology is that people will get out of their car, walk (put a number on it) feet, and click their door lock button.

What's funny about that? I do that with my alarm fob, get out, close door, press button. Of course the range is 1/4 mile on one and 1 mile on the other so it's not like you have to be close. But by locking the vehicle that way it's impossible to lock your keys inside.

SubaCool
March 19th, 2010, 11:49 AM
And what about all the people who have only driven a car that has all of these features? If they ever have to drive a car without them for whatever reason, i do not see that ending well.
My wife has always driven automatics, and is scared sh.tless to drive my 5speed. It's not that she doesn't know how to, she just doesn't "feel comfortable". She's not a bad driver, but I wouldn't call her good either ;)

I don't quite understand how the collision mitigation brake system makes people crappy drivers.
People develop bad habits as a result? Say you're used to the ABS on your vehicle, but one day you jump in a friend's car or a rental that doesn't have it. You're driving along, minding your own, when somebody cuts you off and you stand on the brakes with confidence that they will do "what they're supposed to", where instead you lock up the tires and sail into the car in front of you. I'd rather have it the other way- no ABS, but know how to drive it and not have to worry about a malfunction ;)

What's funny about that? .... But by locking the vehicle that way it's impossible to lock your keys inside
The funny part about that is seeing the person accidentally hit the lock button before they get out, but after they forgot their keys on the center console :D

Remember, I drive brand new cars for a living, and report on what I do and don't like about them. The month and a half I've been working for Roush does make me more "relaxed" when driving (not checking my mirrors as often, relying on the proxy sensors, using cruise control, ***** when the TC doesn't work, etc, etc.). So yes, one could say I'm getting worse, but luckily I know about it and can still address the issue :cool:

scout man
March 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM
My wife has always driven automatics, and is scared sh.tless to drive my 5speed. It's not that she doesn't know how to, she just doesn't "feel comfortable". She's not a bad driver, but I wouldn't call her good either

Dude, I think I must be dating your wife... this could be a problem :D :D My fiance is exactly the same way.

SubaCool
March 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Dude, I think I must be dating your wife... this could be a problem :D :D My fiance is exactly the same way.
Hmm, looks like I'll have to have a little chat with Lisa :mad: I wonder how she'd react :lmao::lmao:

scout man
March 19th, 2010, 01:35 PM
haha, she would probably slap me when she meets me on the annviersary run.

SubaCool
March 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM
haha, she would probably slap me when she meets me on the annviersary run.
Worse thing would be if she actually fessed up to something :eek: :rolleyes: (not that I have a reason to suspect) THAT would be a real slap in the face situation (in which case you'd probably get it from both of us :p). Oh gosh, I can't even believe we're talking about this :lmao: What was this thread about again?

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 02:29 PM
LOLOLOL

really guys?

REALLY!?

Thats the worlds greatest thread hi-jack.

imho

;D

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I drive brand new cars for a living, and report on what I do and don't like about them.

How do I get into a job like that?!

;o!

Thatd be badass.
Forsure.

Fordguy77
March 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah, it only has rear ABS, I didn't think about just pulling the fuse.

I wish I could ride a bicycle everywhere, but I have to drive too far to school everyday.
D;
Mine has the Rear ABS too, be to be totally honest i have never once felt it kick in.

Fordguy77
March 19th, 2010, 05:35 PM
IMHO It is more dangerous for me to drive some new SUV then it is for me to drive my 2wd 1970 Pickup. I have driven that thing though some serious stuff, and never had any problems. I could always feel the back end if it wanted to come around and such, and i knew how to handle it. I drove my Grandmas Edge with Traction control and all that crap, and it scared me sh*tless because of how the car decided what it wanted to do for the traction instead of me doing it by feel. I know what to expect in my old stuff, and how to anticipate it. I dont like being thought for, thats just one step closer to big brother ruling the world!!!

SubaCool
March 19th, 2010, 07:01 PM
How do I get into a job like that?!
http://www.roush.com/Careers.aspx

and

http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?8453-I-m-just-too-excited...

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 07:54 PM
http://www.roush.com/Careers.aspx and http://www.frontrange4x4.com/forums/...st-too-excited...

D;

Damn the luck.
I still need 3 years of driving experience before I can apply.
D;

Zatticus
March 19th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Damn the luck, I still need 3 years of Driving experience.
D;

Chris, I agree.
Traction control is insanely demanding on what it wants to do. Thats what I like about some of the cars like Ferrari F430, You can turn everything off.
But of course. It's a Ferrari.
/;

They should atleast have EVERYTHING be allowed to be turned off, so that terrible drivers can stick with it, and us purists, can go without and still have a nice car.
: D

Rob
March 19th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I hate those backup sensors and just turn them off, as they beep like the world is ended when you are 5 feet away from something. I cant even imagine trying to wheel in a vehicle that has it.

I just turn mine off on the trails. Unless I'm trying to turn around in a really tight spot and there's a big-ass tree in the way. Then it comes in kind of handy. :thunb:

Hypoid
March 20th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Reading the thread title gave me a different mental image.

Since putting springs and bigger tires on the Heep, I can't parallel park for shiat. I keep running over the curb, and I don't seem to care about it. :D