PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of kicking the car to the curb....

BlackRubi
March 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Any ideas on what I should look at next? I love the Jeep. Pretty much all aspects of it, taking the top off, lockers, all of these things are great. What isn't so great is the damned maintenance and repairs that I seem to constantly be doing on it, even without wheeling in a few months. Axle shafts break...got it. Rear main seals go bad...it happens. But it always seems that one thing leads to another, regarding repairs. Pretty much anything I get won't have removable tops or doors, which saddens me a bit. While I would love to buy that '62 FJ, I just don't think it's in the cards with the family. Awesome rig though.

I've been looking at FJ Cruiser comparisons to Rubicons. They seem pretty comparable, but I'd like to hear thoughts from those who own them. How do they wheel? How is the articulation? How well does the rear locker work (another thing I'll miss if I get rid of the Jeep). Anything else that you add would be appreciated.

Same goes for Xterras.

Other suggested vehicles will also be considered.

Thanks, everyone!

Zatticus
March 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I would assume they wheel pretty good as theres a huge number of them on the forum

I say you want to make a donation though, your jeep to me
Ahahahah

I'd say go for the cruiser though.
I'm sure you can add lockers, i think

If you can, I say go for the FJ
: )

Aaron
March 24th, 2010, 12:12 PM
There was a comparo in the latest 4 Wheel magazine where the rubicon barely eeked out the win.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehicles/131_1005_toyota_fj_cruiser_vs_jeep_jk_wrangler/index.html

BTW, I love my Jeep but would love you to get rid of yours so that there is one less black TJ on the forum :)

FJBRADY
March 24th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I have both a FJ40 and a FJC. The FJC off-road has never let me down and is my daily driver. The FJ40 has not let me down either but every time I wheel it I need to adjust something or address something before I take it out again. If you are looking for a daily driver and a weekend wheeler get the FJ Cruiser.......full time wheeler and trips to starbucks on a sunny day get the FJ40 or some other piece of cool old metal.

BlackRubi
March 24th, 2010, 01:45 PM
It will be a daily driver. I'm really hesitant on getting rid of the Jeep. But thinking practically, the FJC has more room, more cargo space (a huge issue with the Jeep, I had to get a hitch rack for camping with two dogs), a roof rack (optional, but I would make sure I had one), and a couple of other good things. Same goes for an Xterra. Is your elocker in the rear? Is it even possible to put a locker on the front IFS?

FJBRADY
March 24th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I have a rear locker....and yes you could put an ARB in the front but you increase the risk if tearing up CV's. Another option is buy a car and keep the Jeep as a full time off-road rig....D60's, 40 inch + tires, etc!!!!!

BlackRubi
March 24th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Can't afford more payments. While I would love to do that, I just don't think it would work out.

FJBRADY
March 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I have a good friend who has done Rubicon, Hell's Gate in his FJC on 33" tires and a rear locker/A-trac. He just put 35's on it and I wheeled with him 2 weeks ago in Moab and he walked everything.

Smash
March 24th, 2010, 02:14 PM
FJC for the win in my book. I test drove an Xterra and FJC back when the FJC first came out (just for kicks of course). I really liked the FJC much better on pavement. Give the Xterra has a much more "standard" type style interior and such, if that's your gig. I tend to lean towards the weird... Heck, I wheeled a Subaru hard and now own a monster...

JeffX
March 24th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Personally, I'd keep the Rubi.

The FJC is nice and so is the Xterra. Both are expensive used. The GenII Xterra has an exploding rear diff issue on the '05s, but are extremely solid vehicles otherwise. Both offer e-lockers. Both clear 33s at stock height. I'd take a used H3 over either.

You will 'take a bath' trading in your Rubi. Don't do it unless you must. The Rubi is a solid platform, with mucho upgrades.

I recommend (add) a sh1tbox car instead of a trade.

If you MUST trade, an X or an FJ will do fine in Moab.....

Rob
March 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM
There was a comparo in the latest 4 Wheel magazine where the rubicon barely eeked out the win.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehicles/131_1005_toyota_fj_cruiser_vs_jeep_jk_wrangler/index.html

I'm biased, of course, but I suspect that the Jeep edged out the FJC in that test because it had front and rear lockers. The FJC had only a rear locker. The manual FJC can be jerky on the rocks, though. You just have to learn left-foot braking, which is tricky with a stick. I'll say, though, that I am much impressed with cfr's Rubicon.

I have both a FJ40 and a FJC. The FJC off-road has never let me down and is my daily driver. The FJ40 has not let me down either but every time I wheel it I need to adjust something or address something before I take it out again. If you are looking for a daily driver and a weekend wheeler get the FJ Cruiser.......full time wheeler and trips to starbucks on a sunny day get the FJ40 or some other piece of cool old metal.

X2. The FJC makes for a nice daily driver, despite the complaints of poor visibility. It's all a matter of setting your side view mirrors correctly and then using them.

And a used FJC can be pricy, but if you can find an '07 that's only been mall-crawled, you can be sure it's not been abused and is ready for some trail running with a few upgrades.

Tough choice, Kyle. Good luck.

Andrew
March 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM
The FJ has poor visibility is one of the main things that I know of. I don't know a ton about them.

As for an Xterra - get a 2002-2004 IMO. They have better and stronger drivelines than the 2005+. Strange as it is. The 2nd Gen (2005+) has issues with blowing front diffs. But then they have coilovers and the 1st Gen's have torsion bars which I hate...there are trade offs - like the 2nd Gen Off Road edition has a rear e-locker. I love my X though. Downside is that although there are mods for them, they are more expensive than other brands. You will miss the live axle in the front though and will have to do some mods to get it to be about the same level.

Haku
March 24th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Can't go wrong with an FJC. Other Toyota's to maybe think about are the 4 door Tacoma. Pretty much the same thing as the FJC underneath, but a bit more utilitarian. Other thing you could do is get a older Toyota like an FJ62 like Chris has, a FJ80, or even a extended cab Tacoma. Know for being a "long haul" reliable and economical option. Might be able to lower your payments too if you do it right. The FJ80's had the option for front and rear lockers, carry a ton of gear and stuff, and will do 90% of the trails in Colorado with a basic 3" lift. Thats all Nay did to his, with some fender cutting too, and he fit 37" tires and can carry his whole family, kids friends, the dog and all the gear they need. Plus, its the "luxury" model in the Toyota truck line, so you do it in style.

Speaking of Xterra's, if you can find one, the one to get is the "Offroad" edition. I think its only in the most recent model year, so it might have that exploding diff thing, but they have lockers front and rear, a nice lift, and bigger tires. Might be some other stuff upgraded too. Seems like a perfect answer for what you are looking for if you can find one used and in good condition.

JH

cfr
March 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
What's your budget? New or used?

BlackRubi
March 25th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'll probably be looking at used. I'd like to go with a JK Unlimited, but I don't know if I'll be able to or not. The FJC and Xterra were really appealing to me. I've also been looking at the Tacoma double cabs and Frontier crew cabs.

Andrew
March 25th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Speaking of Xterra's, if you can find one, the one to get is the "Offroad" edition. I think its only in the most recent model year, so it might have that exploding diff thing, but they have lockers front and rear, a nice lift, and bigger tires. Might be some other stuff upgraded too. Seems like a perfect answer for what you are looking for if you can find one used and in good condition.

JH

The Xterra OR only has a rear locker, there is no lift from factory other than possible larger tires. It has roof rack lights already, but I think only the 2009 or 2010 models.

To address the exploding diff issue, you can put a Titan diff and shafts in, but you need other stuff upgraded too - you end up with a wider track in front (which isn't bad) but not in rear - so you have to adjust wheel spacing or add spacers or something to get it to match. I don't know all of the details on the diff swap, but there is info out there.

greenramp
March 25th, 2010, 02:51 PM
family...
comfort...
lockers...
reliable...
None of these belong in the same sentence consecutively, you have to sacrifice something for the needs of what you are looking for.

Andrew
March 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM
family...
comfort...
lockers...
reliable...
None of these belong in the same sentence consecutively, you have to sacrifice something for the needs of what you are looking for.

Looks like time to kick those annoying family members to the curb.....

lol J/K.

BlackRubi
March 25th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I can deal without comfort. That's what the wife's car is for, right? And I have a great chiropractor!

Andrew
March 25th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I like my Xterra, but of course I'm biased.

If you are going to be at the anniversary run you can drive it some if you want.

BlackRubi
March 25th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Don't think I'll be there. Too much going on. I really want to, but unpacking, plus no 4WD on the Jeep makes it a little hard.

Chris
March 25th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Any way you do it Kyle it'll hurt your wallet. Selling yours now would be painful due to market conditions.

JeffX
March 25th, 2010, 06:46 PM
To address the exploding diff issue, you can put a Titan diff and shafts in

I don't think the newest Xterras have the issue. It was resolved after 05 or 06.

Haku
March 25th, 2010, 06:48 PM
family...
comfort...
lockers...
reliable...

I disagree. The Toyota FJ80 has all of those things as far as I can tell.

JH

Mporter
March 25th, 2010, 07:18 PM

JH

X2:)

Smash
March 25th, 2010, 08:16 PM
X3. An 80 was huge on my list. The size and price point of the burb beet it out.

Mporter
March 26th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Plus it's a toyota....so no one can stop you, not even yourself.

gm4x4lover
March 26th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Can't afford more payments. While I would love to do that, I just don't think it would work out.

Why finance another one? There are plenty of cheap cars out there that would make great daily's. I am not as fond of the fjc's as others. Out in moab they did really well on the harder trails, but the few i have wheeled with out here have not impressed me in the rocks. The independent front is travel limiting and offers less ground cleareance when lifted. Reliability of the cv axles on lifted applications also comes into question. Other things to consider compared to a jeep: no top to come off, less powerfull feeling than a 4.0 in a jeep, not as much aftermarket support, replacment parts are usually more expensive to purchase and require more skill level to install.

scout man
March 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I personally dont think you would be happy with an unlimited Kyle, especially after having a rubicon. If you still want to wheel it at all the longer wheel base will drive you nuts. You would have to get the Jeep a lot higher to keep the clearance you have now, and I know you arent a fan of really big tires. Plus they look funny <--- that last part is just my expert opinion of course that everyone should care about :rolleyes: :D

BlackRubi
March 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I like big tires, but on some things you can only go so big without it starting to look odd. I would be looking at a used Unlimited Rubicon (like an 07) if I were to go that route.

greenramp
March 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM

JH

Take it from the authority http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm Prices for parts are expensive. Not knocking the 80 as I have some Land Rover friends that have them and I would buy one in a heartbeat if the price was right. if you overlook the name in all the write-ups on the 80 you would swear they were talking about a Range Rover Classic, including the V8 with bad gas milage and lack of HP.

4 wheeling and maintenance go hand in hand. for the time you spend on the trail you should add half that time in maintenance. If you don't or won't then you are just being a burden to others with you as things will go wrong.

BlackRubi
March 26th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I don't mind trail related maintenance. It's just that all of these things are happening after MONTHS of not wheeling.

scout man
March 26th, 2010, 12:00 PM
for the time you spend on the trail you should add half that time in maintenance.

hmm, I spend about double the time on maintenance (and repairs) as I do on the trail. I must be doing something wrong!!!

Of course, it is a 35 year old rig. :wrench:

Andrew
March 26th, 2010, 12:59 PM
What is this "maintenance" thing I keep hearing about??

haha :p

DKDunn04
March 26th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Ever consider an XJ? Tons of room inside, great visibility, huge aftermarket with lockers and anything you could ever want, and you can get a 2001 with around 70K miles for about $5K.

Andrew
March 26th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Is the XJ the unibody cherokee?

DKDunn04
March 26th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Yes it is. If you are worried about body flexing, just cage it. After all, you said the comfortable car was your wifes!

SRT08BUS
March 26th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I love my FJC and my lady grabbed a 2010....I would go for a 07-09, she's was told to wait on putting on the ARB bumper until they get a issue resolved with something. I can't remember what it was but I trust who told me with my car, and Keryn does as well.

cfr
March 26th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Of course, I'm biased towards the Wrangler. How about a split between a beater daily driver and a cheap trail rig like a Samurai?

Jackie
March 26th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I've wheeled with people in the unlimited before and their longer wheel base vs. the shorter wheelbase of my Rubicon was not an issue. I noticed that we took different lines sometimes, or had to manuever a little differently, but they still perform really well. In fact in some cases it may be an advantage. I know the extra space is a big advantage! I am biased for the 2dr though, so I wouldn't trade it for the world. I haven't done any upgrades or modifications to it yet and it suits me just fine as-is.

JeffX
March 26th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I personally dont think you would be happy with an unlimited Kyle.....

x2 if you're talking about an '07+. Those things have the wheelbase of a schoolbus. Very hard to clear anything.

My personal favorite is the LJ.

http://jeeplj.com/photos/LIFTKIT.jpg

Jimmy
March 26th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Maybe I've missed something in all the vehicle drama... but I haven't read of any MAJOR problems being had with this Rubi. An oil leak (made worse when a repair was attempted) and a 4WD engaging issue... is that it? If you think selling it is going to free you of having vehicle problems again, then I suspect you are being overly hopeful. Vehicles are going to have issues. I feel for you having issues at this particular time in your life with so much going on, but consider this: Would these vehicle issues seem as overwhelming if they had come along when you were settled in your life (not moving, not changing jobs, etc.)?

I would think paying a reputable mechanic to fix the problems would be cheaper than selling (and taking a loss given the problems) and buying another vehicle.

If the love is gone for the Rubi, then maybe it is time to move on. Good luck with whatever you decide!

SRT08BUS
March 26th, 2010, 09:00 PM
is that it? If you think selling it is going to free you of having vehicle problems again, then I suspect you are being overly hopeful. Vehicles are going to have issues.

I would think paying a reputable mechanic to fix the problems would be cheaper than selling (and taking a loss given the problems) and buying another vehicle.

If the love is gone for the Rubi, then maybe it is time to move on. Good luck with whatever you decide!
I agree I've always had a love for jeeps, rovers and so on....every model and make has it's issues. Good luck with your search and don't forget to test drive a couple of your choices before you decide....never feel pressured or go into looking with the mind set of "' I have to have this'

Rob
March 26th, 2010, 09:56 PM
hmm, I spend about double the time on maintenance (and repairs) as I do on the trail. I must be doing something wrong!!! '

That just means you're not wheeling enough. More trail time might cut that ratio. :thunb:

BlackRubi
March 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM
I'm still considering a change. I love the Rubi. I couldn't ask for something that would suit me better (except for the cargo space issue, but I can put the dogs in their crate on a roof rack when I get one, right?). It's mainly a money issue. The maintenance is killing my wallet all of a sudden. My movers were free, so that was good. But I still need to find a job. The wife's project is ending in May, so she'll be out of a job then. I need to find a good paying job so she won't have to work if she doesn't want to. Hell, even something in the evenings and weekends until her project ends and I can find a permanent position somewhere would me wonderful. I think the wife wants me to find something a little easier to take the family camping in.

Hypoid
March 27th, 2010, 12:45 AM
I think the wife wants me to find something a little easier to take the family camping in. A small, light trailer for the gear would be cheaper, but a storage problem in it's-self. Just a thought anyway.

Jimmy
March 27th, 2010, 07:45 AM
A small, light trailer for the gear would be cheaper, but a storage problem in it's-self. Just a thought anyway.
Or one of those gear trays/platforms that goes in the trailer hitch... easier to store if it meets the gear needs...

JeffX
March 27th, 2010, 09:39 AM
....But I still need to find a job....

Not a great time to be looking. 95% of companies aren't hiring. A fairly high percentage are still downsizing. If you're not following up on every opportunity, you could be in a major bind soon. A lot of guys I knew getting out of the Army had all their eggs in one basket and got burned, badly.

Lucky for you, you you've got a TS clearance. a lot of jobs on Schriever, Buckley and Boulder will require that.

BlackRubi
March 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Yeah. That's what I'm hoping. I'll find a temporary job for the time being, then when I find a clearance job, I'll jump on the opportunity.
I already have a hitch rack. I got the big one from Gander Mountain. I was looking at the ones at Harbor Freight, then saw the one at Gander. It has the collapsable cage, cargo net, and waterproof cover...all for $150. It's been great. I would love to have a trailer, actually I would prefer it. But now that I have no garage, I don't really have a place to put it. I'm thinking a roof rack would work best, combined with the hitch rack. ALL the gear could go on the two racks, then the dogs could somehow manage in the back seat with my daughter.....oh...wait, I'm having another one soon. Argh....I just thought about that.