PDA

View Full Version : Default thread "new posts" option?

Speedwagon
March 28th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I'm on another forum that is using the same software and version as FR is. But, when I click on "new posts" here, they stay as new until I view them. On the other forum, they stop being "new posts" whether or not I view them, if I just visit the forum. Is this an option that I can change, or is it a forum setting that is different(in other words, not something I can change)?

Chris
March 28th, 2010, 11:20 AM
To mark "new posts/unread posts" as "read" w/o reading them click the "mark forums read" link.

Speedwagon
March 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM
To mark "new posts/unread posts" as "read" w/o reading them click the "mark forums read" link.

No, that's the opposite of what I'm looking for. They automatically get marked read on the other forum. I like them to stay unread until I actually read them(or do as you say, and mark them all read). But the other forum just does it on its own, with no input from me. So then I don't know what is new and not.

Chris
March 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Unless you do otherwise they should remain unread until you read them. When you click on unread posts it should be showing all that you haven't read. That's the way it works for me and I assume everyone else. Even when it shows 2 unread the other unread from a previous sesion show up until I read them or mark them as read.

Speedwagon
March 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Unless you do otherwise they should remain unread until you read them. When you click on unread posts it should be showing all that you haven't read. That's the way it works for me and I assume everyone else. Even when it shows 2 unread the other unread from a previous sesion show up until I read them or mark them as read.

Right, that's how it works here, and how I want it. But on the other forum, using the exact same software revision(only other one I've found with the new stuff), it doesn't. It marks them read, on its own, after seemingly a certain amount of time that I've been active.

Chris
March 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Okay, I get you now. Depending on the version of vBulletin they're running you can go to your settings and change the "Default Thread Age Cut Off" which should be set to "Show All Threads"

Maybe the admin of the other site could read the manual. :D