PDA

View Full Version : Rally Racing

Zatticus
March 29th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I think thats what I really want to do for a living when i get older, I'm gonna start as soon as I can, gain exp.
And then go pro
:D

It's an amazing sport, theres nothing like going 100mph+ down one lane dirt roads.
Ahah, Anybody have any advice? :D

What do you think would be a good degree to get if going into the racing field? Just wanting human opinions, not textbook theoretical opinions
;p

Volcom
March 29th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Better start saving some $$$, it's an extremely expensive sport (that goes for any kind of motorsport racing). You might want to gain some experience by getting into rallycross. I used to autocross quite a bit back in college. It was a blast! A buddy of mine has won the national championship in modified 2wd for several years now.

Zatticus
March 29th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I've been looking at the financial side of it for awhile, and decided i better not build one, just buy a used one and get all the history from it
Rallycross is a good way to learn your car and find out what needs done, and gets some good experience in the process
: )

Volcom
March 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Yeah, I've been looking at the financial side of it for awhile, and decided i better not build one, just buy a used one and get all the history from it
Rallycross is a good way to learn your car and find out what needs done, and gets some good experience in the process

The financial side goes WAY deeper than just buying a car and going out and racing it. You've got entry fees, tire costs, fuel costs, general maintenance costs, you just wrecked your car bad & have to fix it costs, travel fees, etc..................................

Zatticus
March 29th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it's good to estimate about 2000 per race, including tires, , entry fees, gas for rally car, gas for tow vehicle, maintenance costs, etc,

I know what i'm getting into.
Just need to know the best place/way to start

On a side note, I'm this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q39S4bjjU-Q&feature=related

Volcom
March 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.rally-america.com/
and a very good job that will fund your hobby.

Mporter
March 29th, 2010, 09:28 PM
One thing you might wanna check. Whenever a rally event comes to Denver/Colorado (maybe Pikes Peak run or something), go early enough and walk around the pits (if you can) and talk to the crew chiefs or something and see if you could maybe help em out at a race sometime...that way you get both mechanic training and knowledge about the sport.

Zatticus
March 29th, 2010, 09:30 PM
One thing you might wanna check. Whenever a rally event comes to Denver/Colorado (maybe Pikes Peak run or something), go early enough and walk around the pits (if you can) and talk to the crew chiefs or something and see if you could maybe help em out at a race sometime...that way you get both mechanic training and knowledge about the sport.

yepyep,
And volunteering at the tracks to learn how the events are organized helps out too

Pikes peak run is in the summertime right?

Mporter
March 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Yeah. I think it's like Late May/June but im not sure.

Zatticus
March 29th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Alright,
I wanted to go last year,

But i hadn't moved here yet,

This year I will though
:thunb:

Theres some badass cars that run pikes peak,
Thats forsure
;p

SubaCool
March 30th, 2010, 02:19 AM
June 27th is the race day (last year it was July).
http://www.usacracing.com/ppihc/competitors/rws

Rallycross is where you wanna start for sure. Without a name you won't get far in the "real world", so start attending (preferably as a driver) and talk to people. RX is cheap(er) alternative to the real deal and gives you experience. You won't be doing 100+ but you'll learn the important essentials (like car control). Next step? Rally schools. You just need to dive into it, start doing whatever you can. If you wanna go pro it will take money and time and the right people. This won't fall into your lap easily, you gotta earn it. To have a dream of being a paid pro driver is nice, but in reality, you'll have to be damn good to earn that spot. It's not impossible, but it is very hard. I'm not saying don't do it, but don't get your hopes up either. It takes money to make money (especially when it comes to racing - and lots of it). You're young enough, but you need to start now if you want to get ahead (later it is much harder). I know teens that have been racing since they could barely walk and are struggling. I know a 19yr old that is a pro driver and has raced BMW racers (open wheel) all over the world. One day, I wouldn't be surprised if he made it into F1 (and it might happen very soon). I also know a 16yr old that will attempt Pikes Peak this year (she will be the youngest one ever to enter the race).

It can be done, but it takes a lot of work. Good luck my friend :thunb:

Amateur racing is much easier to participate in, and it's cheaper (somebody just told me that to enter a team into one F1 race is like 40mil :eek:). Plus you can build up on it. You just need to start. I think I've already posted all of that info in one of your earlier threads.

Zatticus
March 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I know that one of you guys has some kind of fast moving vehicle you want to let me borrow to enter in Pikes peak. : )

Yes, yes?

Mporter
March 30th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Talk to Jeff (Patrolman) I think he's done some engine mods on Miata's and picked up a pretty sweet mazda that would be cool.

scout man
March 30th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I have a couple horse power compressor engine sitting around... throw that on a go cart frame with a generator (its AC) and you can probably go a couple miles an hour!!! I would be great downhill!

Zatticus
March 30th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I have a couple horse power compressor engine sitting around... throw that on a go cart frame with a generator (its AC) and you can probably go a couple miles an hour!!! I would be great downhill!

Lol, if only I needed to go down the hill, rather than up it.
D;

I'll see if I can track jeff down,

Mporter
March 30th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I don't know if he has any vehicles for sale, or lend....but i'd give him a PM and check.

Zatticus
March 30th, 2010, 10:29 PM
hmmh, i doubt theyd fit in the safety regulations though, need too much damn stuff to run

D:

SubaCool
March 31st, 2010, 01:59 AM
I know that one of you guys has some kind of fast moving vehicle you want to let me borrow to enter in Pikes peak.
Can you afford to enter? Power to you if you can (can I get in on that?) :D PPIHC is on my bucket list, along with the Nurburgring and Laguna Seca tracks (plus a few others).

Mporter
March 31st, 2010, 07:34 AM
Laguna Seca

X2 :cool:

Zatticus
March 31st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Can you afford to enter? Power to you if you can (can I get in on that?)

Just depends on if I get a job soon or not, 1k to enter, You could get in on it if I did go, an extra 300 from you, thats how much it is extra for a codriver

: D
along with the Nurburgring and Laguna Seca tracks (plus a few others).

I'm hoping to go to Nurburgring when I move to Germany for a few years.

Laguna Seca would be pretty intense as well.
Theres a lot of tracks I want to do.
;p

Haku
March 31st, 2010, 11:39 AM
hehee.....I don't think that anyone has a car they'll let you borrow for that, but there are plenty that you could get for cheap and build up. Pretty sure you have to have a roll cage and fire suppression system to join that though. If you are set on a rear wheel drive still, might consider an old but not super old Mustang or Camaro. Cheap to find, have the v8 power, and aren't particularly hard to modify. Might try to find something with a turbo to cope with the altitude change too. Pretty intense. I drove my Subaru to over 12k feet once, and the difference was very noticeable. I think I heard that the top ranked cars loose half of their horsepower from start line to finish line.

I know there are ATV and Motorcycle classes too, which are probably cheaper to join and the vehicles don't take as much to get ready.

JH

Zatticus
March 31st, 2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah, but by the time I had enough money for a car, I wouldn't have money for the entry

D;

Yeah, ATV and Motorcycle classes are like, less than half the price

I wish I could enter, but I am volunteering this year
:D

SubaCool
March 31st, 2010, 01:53 PM
I think I heard that the top ranked cars loose half of their horsepower from start line to finish line.
It's about 30% power loss by the time they reach the finish. Check this out. It's Rhys Millen's last year run up Pikes Peak in a drift modified Genesis coupe (start to finish). It's a great video to give a feel for the "track". Notice towards the end of the video, even with two turbos, it struggles a bit from the very tight switchbacks (low end power suffers). It's not much, but it is noticeable even on a 600hp monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMuFnaKCuaQ

I wish I could enter, but I am volunteering this year
At PPIHC? I'm planning on going and possibly volunteering too, we'll see. I've gone the last two years as a spectator. It's awesome. Check out my videos from the last two years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EiHthtVQo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r99Oo6ebik

Zatticus
March 31st, 2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I planned on going last year, but I wasn't actually in Colorado when they had it, i was a little disappointed, but, oh well. I will be this year. ;p

PPIHC is intense and different, it's like, a sprint race, rally race, and hill climbing. I like when they mix things like that
;p

You should volunteer, you could probably meet some of the drivers if you volunteer in the right areas, ;p

SubaCool
March 31st, 2010, 02:17 PM
it's like, a sprint race, rally race, and hill climbing
Hill climb is a rally type sprint race ;)

90% chance that I will be one of the officials this year. I'm a good friend with a family that has been working at mile 8 for 15+ years so yeah. And their daughter is the 16yr old that will attempt the hill climb this year. They will be unveiling the car she'll be driving at the next week's Denver Auto Show. You should come by the SCCA booth to check it out (I'll be volunteering Friday and Saturday).

Zatticus
March 31st, 2010, 02:19 PM
And where might that be at?
/;

Hill climb is a rally type sprint race

Touche.

Haku
March 31st, 2010, 02:33 PM
I definitely want to check this out this year, and volunteering is as good a way to do it as any. I've always wanted to both go to the race, and to even drive up Pikes Peak. Haven't done either thing, so this might be the year.

Also, anyone else want to make a "Denver Auto Show" Front Range trip?

JH

Zatticus
March 31st, 2010, 02:59 PM
I would
:)

SubaCool
April 1st, 2010, 02:24 AM
And where might that be at?
Google? :p
http://www.paragonexpo.com/399.html
Colorado Convention Center :thunb:

Like I've said, I'll be at the SCCA booth Friday and Saturday. C'mon gearheads, come check it out :cool:

Haku
April 1st, 2010, 02:34 AM
The "exotics" have a pretty minimal showing at this event. Ferrari, Maserati, Lotus and one other smashed into a small booth, and Lambo with barely more then Smart. Its gonna be busy time, with me being out of town all but opening day for it. I could maybe get away for half a day on the 7th though. Probably worth $10 to walk around and snap some pics. Sure isn't the Detroit, Geneva or another "big" event though.

JH

SubaCool
April 1st, 2010, 03:01 AM
Sure isn't the Detroit, Geneva or another "big" event though.
Yeah, it's kinda small for a major car show deal. Last year's wasn't anything spectacular either. I think the coolest (to me) was a bright yellow mountain rescue Forester :cool:

Mporter
April 1st, 2010, 06:41 AM
That looks kinda like the Black VW Toureg that they modded out and used in Repo Men

http://ohkate.com/d200/3.8.09_craigsara/_OHK3732.jpg