PDA

View Full Version : is any one using a smitty built winch

wyota
March 31st, 2010, 07:01 PM
So its time to buy a winch and i think im going to go with the SmittyBilt XRC 8. I've read reviews and it seems to be a decent winch the only down fall is that its slow. any one run one of these or now someone who does. Any other suggestions in this price range give or take a few buck's.

Thanks

http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/XRC-8-Winch-W-Synthetic-Rope-Aluminum-Fairlead.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6426&t_pn=S%2fB98281

Brody
March 31st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Winky(Randy) and Medic 5150 (Andrew) are the ones I know off the top of my head

Mporter
March 31st, 2010, 08:15 PM
Just so you know Winchdepot is just a website EXACTLY the same as 4wheelparts, it looks identical and ends up being the same checkout (it gives you an option to pick up at 4wheelparts).

I went through the same thing when looking for my winch.

tbalcome
April 1st, 2010, 05:45 PM
I have one with the cable it has worked great for me so far! I have made some money on snow days on my way home with it ;)

JeffX
April 1st, 2010, 07:23 PM
They're pretty good, from what I hear.

I also like:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381901_200381901

and

http://www.predator4wd.com/bulldogwinch.html

and

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200353322_200353322

I have this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200183124_200183124

And it works great.

Haku
April 1st, 2010, 08:07 PM
Winky(Randy) and Medic 5150 (Andrew) are the ones I know off the top of my head

Winky has the 16k Warn winch I thought?

From reading articles and using them on other rigs, its a decent winch for occasional use. They should hold up fine to abuse and such, but they are really slow. They'll get the job done though.

For some killer deals on winches, and I haven't seen or used one in person but they look neat, check out the Viper winches. They sell a few that are unbelievable deals and come with Synthetic Rope and a Wireless unit for about the same price as the Smittybuilt 8k winch. Check em out at http://motoalliance.com/. The cheap ones are the "classic" variety. They look to be slightly Warn-esque, which makes me think these might be chinese knock offs. I understand if you don't trust them, but its at least worth looking into.

JH

edit: Just looked and in the last few days they added an "upgraded to Amsteel Blue Synthetic for an additional price" to the Classic Winch page. Still a good deal with the integrated wireless system though

Smash
April 1st, 2010, 08:12 PM
The viper classic 12k is a serious consideration for me down the line. But then again, I only plan on using it occasionally. I don't like to be in situations where I need a winch, but given the amount of time Karla and I wheel alone, I feel it's an essential addition to our kit.

Haku
April 1st, 2010, 08:15 PM
I agree Smash. Gonna go out on your own then you should have one for sure.

I'm gonna look into reviews of these Viper winches a bit more, since they are very intriguing. I'll let you guys know what I find.

JH

Smash
April 1st, 2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks Josh!

New price beats any 12k used on CL right now.

But, I also don't know much about winches.

Haku
April 1st, 2010, 08:39 PM
Looks like they get decent reviews. The owner of Moto-Alliance has confirmed that they are Chinese made, but that is generally true of all winch brands these days (including Warn). Seems like a stand up company that holds a decent standard for quality. They have stuff for free that other companies charge extra for, so that is always a plus. Most of the reviews I could find were for ATV, and were mostly good. The few reviews I found of the truck winches were also good, spattered with the phrases "Chinese crap", mostly from people who had never used one. The people who bought them seemed happy with them. Seems like a great winch, and at least comparable to the Smittybuilt and the cheaper models from T-max, Tabor, Mile Marker, etc. They seem to have more power then most of the cheaper brands, and many of them have waterproof integrated solenoids and such. Might see about getting them on here to be a vendor so we can get some deals from them too.

foxtrot
April 1st, 2010, 08:40 PM
just my :2c:, but If it was me, I would wait and save a little more and get something that you know is going to work good. smitty built seems to be doing pretty good on their recent products. I am personally going to save a little more money so I know I am not going to waste any on something that could possibly break or something that is going to be super slow

Smash
April 1st, 2010, 08:53 PM
Speed is definitely not an issue for me. Quality of course is, like it is for everyone else. Willing to give the viper a shot though. I figure winches are all pretty much built with similar parts, so a rebuild should be easy if necessary.

Haku
April 1st, 2010, 11:42 PM
Viper says they stock replacement parts for it. I haven't seen any indication that these shouldn't be at least reasonable quality. If its like most stuff made in China, most of the winches are all probably made in the same factory, or at least in the same general area. This one just happens to be one of the "china" brand ones rather then being the tried and true one with a Warn sticker on it.

JH

1freaky1
April 2nd, 2010, 01:41 AM
I have both the XRC8 &10 on my rig just have not had a chance to use either one yet, I picked up the 8 for under $300 and the 10 for under $500. I like them due to they are the highest rated HP motors on the market with one of the lowest amp draws and they no longer use solenoids for the controls it is a solid state controller now which is supposed to be better.

Volcom
April 2nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
I was very very close to buying an XRC8. I found a smoking deal on an M8000 last week and jumped on it. I wouldn't have an issue running an XRC8 on my 4Runner!

Aaron
April 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I was days away from either a XRC8 or 10 but found a smoking deal on a XD9000i.

wyota
April 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
Cool, thanks every one for your input and thought's. Ive got a few days before i have to make a decision maybe i will find a sweet deal on a warn!