PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Marco
March 31st, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hi All,

My name is Marco Capote, I currently own an 85' FJ60 and an 82 FJ40.

My first truck was a 1967 Series IIA Land Rover. I had that thing through most of high school and untill the beginning of college. I Drove it every day for several years, got it stuck in a lot of deep Memphis mud and learned how to wrench on it. I ended up basically going through that whole truck because at some point or another it wore out or I broke it. At one point I even caught it on fire and watched it burn to the ground. I learned how to do body work and wiring after that....

Anyways, through school I worked at a welding/fab shop as an apprentice for a guy in Memphis. There I learned how to Mig and Tig, how to do tube work, build motors and trannys, and how to machine basic parts. We built a lot of cars for a lot of folks there, but evenually it got to be too much so I moved to a produce company where I worked on their diesel rigs, drove a fork lift some of the time, and spent HOURS welding storage racks. During that time I sold the Rover and slowly got into auto-x and road racing. I built a Turbo CRX since I couldn't afford the Porsches and Bimmers we were building for other folks . I started going to lots of Driver's Ed's to help the folks who's cars we'd built, supported them at races and eventually got my instructors license in both the Porsche and BMW clubs.

One of the guys I worked with at the shop there also got me hooked on dirt bikes, so I started doing a lot of Hare Scrambles. I owned several 250cc 2 stroke dirt bikes throughout the years and had an XR650 and Ninja for playing around on the street with.

After owning several vehicles (something like 12 or 14) I found myself wanting another Rover... I was looking for something that had more space and did better on the HWY though... so after a while of looking I found the FJ60. I got it with about 200k on the clock and bone stock from a dirt biking buddy. That was all around the time that I also decided I wanted to move out west.

So, in the fall of 07 I landed a job out here and put things into high gear. I put a vortec in the 60, did a new suspension so it'd make the trip better, and put in a 5spd. I sold all of the other toys to fatten the piggy bank before the move, packed up and left. All of that materialized in about 2 months, so things went quickly.

After getting out here, I started running trails in order to see more of the state and go camping more. I didn't really know what "wheeling" was. Of course with running more trails came the desire to do more to the truck, so it slowly evolved. I squeezed 35's on it and found out later that I needed to do a bunch of other stuff to make them work. After a year or so of futzing with it I finally got it kinda dialed. Then came my first trip to Moab.... I hustled and built a set of bumpers and sliders for it, and threw on a winch. The truck did OK, so it stayed like that for a while. This winter I finally geared it with 4.88's, added ARB's, did good axles in the front and rear, and tweaked the drivelines a bit more. Man did it need gears.. how did that take me so long??

Then.. .I realized I still wanted a truck for those "top down" days so I started looking and I found a pretty rusty FJ40. I'm currently working on getting it sorted. I'll probably end up restoring it to basically stock since it was a relatively low mileage truck and I already have the 60 for the harder trails...

So, that's pretty much my story.. glad to be here and look forward to meeting some of you folks!

-Marco

Roostercruiser
March 31st, 2010, 07:39 PM
Welcome

Mporter
March 31st, 2010, 08:21 PM
Welcome man, nice to see another Cruiserhead on here.

I'd love to check out your 60 sometime. I'm gonna be going to school in Boulder next year, so we'll have to go wheeling sometime!

Fordguy77
March 31st, 2010, 08:23 PM
Welcome To The Group

Rob
March 31st, 2010, 09:15 PM
Welcome! A pair of FJs. Nice. What year is the 40?

Pathrat
March 31st, 2010, 09:46 PM
Great intro and it sounds like you have an extensive knowledge base. Good to have you in the group.

porkchop
March 31st, 2010, 09:50 PM
welcome

KnuckleHead
April 1st, 2010, 01:22 AM
Welcome aboard....

Aaron
April 1st, 2010, 06:29 AM
Welcome to the board.

Marco
April 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the welcomes!

I'll be around Matt, so i'm sure we'll get together when you get here!

OldUnit, The FJ40 is an '82 definitly a work in progress... what year is yours?

CR
April 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM
Welcome Amigo.

Smash
April 1st, 2010, 09:18 AM
Welcome!

Mporter
April 1st, 2010, 04:26 PM
I think his is an '82 as well.

Rob
April 1st, 2010, 10:21 PM
OldUnit, The FJ40 is an '82 definitly a work in progress... what year is yours?

Also an '82 that I picked up last July. In pretty good shape, but also a work in progress and probably always will be.

Hypoid
April 2nd, 2010, 01:43 AM
Welcome aboard!

FJBRADY
April 2nd, 2010, 07:48 AM
Welcome Marco!

Brody
April 4th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the forum Marco! Nice to have such a wide ranging knowledge base to work from! the FJ 40 guys will be picking your brains for information on what you are doing to it...

Roo
April 7th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Welcome Marco! I lived in Memphis for 12 years, couldn't pay me to move back. I love Colorado!

Post some pics of your rigs! See you on the trails.

SubaCool
April 7th, 2010, 02:08 AM
auto-x and road racing
Nice to see another enthusiast ;) I co-drive my friend's 89 Si, you should come check out the Colorado (http://www.rmsolo.org) events sometimes! And welcome to this group. There's a lot of special people on here! (take it as you want it, but I meant it in a good way... for the most part :p)

southpaws3
April 7th, 2010, 01:58 PM
welcome