PDA

View Full Version : My resume for Edit

Zatticus
April 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Zachary Lloyd [email]

[Phone number]

[Address]

Objectives

My main objective in life is to be a well-rounded and successful person that is able to give to others and those less fortunate. I hope to use the skills I learn from this job, and any others to come, to make myself a better person as a whole.
Education

Webb City High School
2006-2009

Green Mountain High School
2009-2010
Experience

In-Store
Papa Johns [June, 2008 – September, 2009]
· Artfully ensuring product quality and customer satisfaction
· Ensure freshness and quality of foods to be used.
· Ensure safe adherence to health codes through cleanliness and attention to detail, and insure the safety of the property on a nightly basis.
· Act as a customer interface insuring accuracy and expediency in every transaction
Skills

· Know Microsoft Office Works well
· Know basic Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
· Ability to learn at a quick pace
· Ability to adapt quickly to new computer software
· Ability to quickly diagnose basic computer hardware problems.

Remember this is a very generic resume, we had to make one for school, and I don't know the job I'm "interviewing" for.
When I start job hunting though, I'll make it a little more job specific.
: )

And thank you for those of you that said you didn't mind editing it for me.
:)

scout man
April 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Ok, I am not ready to jump in on the "editting" of this one yet because I feel it could use some reworking first.

I dont have a lot of time this morning, but here is where I would start.

In-Store Papa Johns [June, 2008 – September, 2009] · Make and top pizza · Prepare foods for the make line · Take Customer orders over the phone and in person · Clean and close store · Ensure customer satisfaction

Think less litteral, and more implicative. Meaning... yes you took costumer orders, but what you really did was "act as a customer interface insuring accuracy and expediancy in every transaction" Companies dont want to hear want you did IMO, they want to hear what you can BS that into. "clean and close store" - "insure safe adhearance to health codes through cleanliness and attention to detail, and insure the safety of the property on a nightly basis."

Start from the top and work through it again in that sort of a way. It will make you look a lot more intellectual and experienced. The important thing to focus on is what skill you have that will be invaluable to the next employer. Chances are putting pepperoni on a pizza isnt going to interest them, but "artfully insuring product quality and customer satisfaction" might. Make sense?

Zatticus
April 13th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I get what your saying.

Thanks. : )

Never thought about doing stuff like that.

scout man
April 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
alright, I have a little more time now, so I will elaborate and offer a few more pointers. Mostly to speak broadly, the goal is to convince the employer that they can not live without you. You will be a vital assett to their company, and they can not find another candidate that will fullfill their needs as well as you. Now to do this can take some creativity. It is not about what specifically you have done, but about the skills you aquired and demonstrated at the previous company that could be used to contribute to the new employers operations. I realize you say that this is just a starting point and not catered to a specific job, and I understand that. I feel that is good that you recognize that, as my resume changes drastically from employer to employer.

(forgive me if I jump around, I will admit I am really spacy tonight :rolleyes:)

·Know Microsoft Office Works well
·Know basic Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
·Ability to learn at a quick pace
· Ability to adapt quickly to new computer software
· Ability to quickly diagnose basic computer hardware problems.

I am being litteral when I say dig out a thesaurus. I often fall into this same issue. Reusing the same verb over and over makes one sound uneducated, whether it is true or not. you know what you want to say, now take it to the next level. Find other words to break up the redundancy. I encourage thesaurus usage, although i suppose it is possible to go over board here. You dont want to make the employer feel dumb because they do not understand half the words in your resume.

IMO, on a resume this light, meaning not a ton of work experience, it is perfectly acceptable to include high school activities and honors. It is already obvious to the employer that you are just out of high school, and dont have a ton of work experience, so there is not reason to hide high school stuff. If you made the honor roll (or whatever they have like that these days), then mention it. Better than average grades? mention it. Sports or activities? acedemic honors, specific emphasis in certain classes, feel free to mention anything that may give insight into your abilities. Good grades and active people really are interesting to an employer that is hiring fresh graduates. Just keep in mind that in a few years if you are looking for new jobs, it may be time to take any of this stuff off, as you are now past high school and presumably not the person you were when you graduated.

Formatting:
I am sure it didnt show up here how it is in word, so I wont talk to much about it. Just make sure there is consistency to it. aka, bold font in the 2 high school lines dont match. And then make sure the spacing makes sense. It doesnt on here, but I assume that was just in the copy/paste.

I think that is all I have for now. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some stuff. Not sure how I feel yet about the objective line, so I am going to think on it some more. I hope this stuff helps. Dont take it as your resume is bad, because its not, just trying to shape it up so that it catches the eye of the employer better.

colomil
April 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Just a word of advice.. I would not put your full name + address + email on a public forum as this makes you an easy target for identity theft.

Zatticus
April 13th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Formatting: I am sure it didnt show up here how it is in word, so I wont talk to much about it. Just make sure there is consistency to it. aka, bold font in the 2 high school lines dont match. And then make sure the spacing makes sense. It doesnt on here, but I assume that was just in the copy/paste. I think that is all I have for now. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some stuff. Not sure how I feel yet about the objective line, so I am going to think on it some more. I hope this stuff helps. Dont take it as your resume is bad, because its not, just trying to shape it up so that it catches the eye of the employer better.

It all looked very well written and consistent in word and after I printed it, something happened in the Copy/Paste.
;/

We had Mock interviews at school today, and my first interview was with an HR rep at some office, and she looks at a lot of resumes, She said everything on there looked nice and neat, and that I should also add in Achievements I have accomplished and maybe even references if I could,

Simple things like that I'll update soon.

Greg; :erm: Glad you pointed that out, I didn't think about it.

I'm tired though. So, leave me things to change about it. I'll start fixing them tomorrow. : )
Don't go easy on it just because it's my first real resume; It can only get better. :redface:

scout man
April 14th, 2010, 12:55 AM
It all looked very well written and consistent in word and after I printed it, something happened in the Copy/Paste. ;/
figured that was the case

gragravar
April 14th, 2010, 03:43 AM
as you work the re-write with the comments scout man provides the only thing I would add to that is that you should focus less on what you did and more on your accomplishments. think in terms from an employer's perspective and what you delivered on their behalf. instead of ensured product quality and customer satisfaction, show what action you took and provide measurement if you can. consistently achieved top product quality scores of xx% in the store. or achieved new record levels of customer satisfaction. (assuming you set those levels or chan show that you did)

anyway, focus on what you delivered in terms of results for the company and use metrics where possible.

BlackRubi
April 14th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Also, try to avoid using job specific titles for things, such as "make line". Let's say you're applying for a position with another non-food company. Are they going to knw what a "make line" is without asking you?

Zatticus
April 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM
I thought about that, but I didn't know what would be something good to put instead
;s

Thats what it was called, so I don't know what else to call it.
Any suggestions?

JeffX
April 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
This resume is full of your opinion.

A few key points:

The 'Objective' should be your job objective, not your life objective.

Too many verbs.

Have you reviewed the wording of other resumes online?

I think the real take-home point here is that you need a plan for your future. Are you still condsidering the Military or college?

My edits:

Zachary Lloyd [email]

[Phone number]

[Address]

Objectives

To find a growth position that is commensurate with my experience.

Summary of Qualifications

Motivated entry-level applicant. Able to to learn at a quick pace. Experienced in adapting quickly to new computer software and diagnosing computer hardware problems.

Education

Webb City High School
2006-2009

2009-2010
Experience

In-Store
· Inspecting ingredients for freshness
· Making pizza
· Operating cash register
· Customer Service

Skills

· Microsoft Office Works
· Basic Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator

Zatticus
April 14th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks,
The objective I just wrote something for it to be a General Resume,
I'll rewrite with some of the things you suggested

Along with my Achievements.

IF I put references on my resume, should I put how I know them?

scout man
April 14th, 2010, 09:50 AM

My opinion, no. Dont know if other dissagree with that or not. I dont actually list references on mine, just say references available on request, but I know that is not the norm.

JeffX
April 14th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks,
The objective I just wrote something for it to be a General Resume,
I'll rewrite with some of the things you suggested

Along with my Achievements.

The objective I recommended is general (albeit weak). The one you had before is a one-way ticket to the wastebasket.

References shouldn't appear on the resume, but an optional reference sheet may be included.

The reference sheet should include:

Name
Position & Company (must be a former co-worker or boss)
Contact information

Don't furnish personal references; only professional (people you've worked for/with).

Most references do not want their names submitted with every resume. I only furnish references when they are required.

Chris
April 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
A simple statement like "References provided on request"

JeffX
April 15th, 2010, 08:03 AM
More edits:

Zachary Lloyd [email]

[Phone number]

[Address]

Objectives

To find a growth position that is commensurate with my experience.

Summary of Qualifications

Motivated entry-level applicant. Able to to learn quickly and work in a fast-paced environment. Experienced in adapting quickly to new computer software and diagnosing computer hardware problems.

Education

Webb City High School
2006-2009

2009-2010

Experience

Pizza shop team member
· Inspecting ingredients for freshness
· Making pizza
· Operating cash register
· Customer Service

Skills

· Microsoft Office
· Adobe Photoshop
· Adobe Illustrator

Some of the stuff I changed may not be correct. I don't have all the info. Since MS works has a similar user interface to 'real' MS office, I just changed it to that. I also got rid of the word 'basic'. Anybody looking at the resume can see you're an entry-level guy; it's unnecessary.

One thing that might be missing is side jobs. When I was in HS, I shoveled driveways, mowed lawns, raked leaves and did other labor and construction jobs. Even if you don't feel comfortable listing these as jobs, it would be a good idea to list them as skills. Those 'unofficial' employers will also make good references.

Everything here only amounts to my opinion. I can tell you that I have hired over 900 people in my career and looked at 10,000+ resumes. One thing I can tell is that you seem like a motivated guy. That's a good start.

Zatticus
April 15th, 2010, 08:06 AM
okay,
I've never really done side jobs like that,
The only thing I have done was with PS Fabrication with Sean and Pete a couple times.
Should I list that?

Volcom
April 15th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Start volunteering at different organizations & charities. You can put those down as well to help fill your resume & gain some experience in different fields.

scout man
April 15th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Start volunteering at different organizations & charities. You can put those down as well to help fill your resume & gain some experience in different fields.

One thing that might be missing is side jobs. When I was in HS, I shoveled driveways, mowed lawns, raked leaves and did other labor and construction jobs. Even if you don't feel comfortable listing these as jobs, it would be a good idea to list them as skills. Those 'unofficial' employers will also make good references.

Both of these are very good suggestions! If you were there at PS Fab doing hands on stuff (which it appears you were), I think you could list it. You got paid too technically, with that axle. Go out there and find stuff to do to fill out that resume!

Chris
April 15th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Volunteering always looks good. Bringing up something you don't want to hear - the hardest age group to find a job this Summer is yours, you may have to spend the time volunteering since you may be unable to find paying work.

Not discouraging you from hitting it hard, just being realistic.

JeffX
April 15th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Summer jobs are easy. Just go to Labor-Ready. Lotsa great experience there. You just need to wake up early. A sober guy with wheels has the advantage :D ......