PDA

View Full Version : Ford 302 Help!!!

Redcreeper
April 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Not sure if i am in the right thread or not so here is goes. I have been trying to figure this out for a few weeks not with no luck so anyone with experience with Fords please chime in. I just picked up a Jeep with a built up Ford 302 with a C-6 behind it. I am having problems with the starter. It made some loud grinding noise when i got it but did not think it was a big deal. About a week or so after i got it i had to replace the starter. Would not engage. Even with a new battery. So this is what i have done so far and the symptoms.....

New battery
cleaned all the posts and conections
replaced the starter (old one would not engage)
Shimed it (works better then with out it)
Tried to spray lubricant up there to help it disengage. no luck

When i start the Jeep the starter wont release. It slowly disengages. sounds like crap! The flywheel looks brand new so afraid to put another shim in it and mess it all up. The starter i got matched the one i pulled out. i know there are different versions and this it the short version since the header is right there.

Any ideas?

scout man
April 14th, 2010, 10:07 AM
did you replace the solenoid with the starter? Sounds to me like a solenoid problem.

Redcreeper
April 14th, 2010, 10:14 AM
There is a Ignition Solinoid on the firewall that we did not change. thanks will try that next.

Redcreeper
April 14th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I have been wondering if it is wired correctly?

Redcreeper
April 14th, 2010, 12:00 PM
It was the previous starter that did not engage. sorry for the confusion. it was working and then stopped but the same problem with that one and the new one is when i start it up the starter wont disengage quick enough. It continues to spin for a few seconds. A shrilling grinding sound. I don't think its the flywheel. Flywheel looks new. The motor was from a 89 mercury grand marquis. I told Napa what year and they came out with something way different then what i had. they looked up something else and found a match. I got a shim kit from the PO and used it. it helped but not 100%. I believe the seperator plate your talking about is there. There is a thin metal or dust shield that is there but not fully bolted down. looks like the holes dont line up. Did i miss anything?

Redcreeper
April 14th, 2010, 01:29 PM
The starter that NAPA had would not of fit. Way to big. that is why i brought the original one. It started and engages fine it just wont let go after i let go of the key. From what i remember from last night the shield looks like it is flipped or sideways. Only a bolt or two lining up. I will get some pics tonight and post them. Thanks.

Redcreeper
April 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM
would it cause the tranny to shake sometimes after i start it up? been doing a few wierd things like shaking real bad after i start it up and it is idling. then goes away after a few seconds.

Redcreeper
April 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM
fuel injected. Built to 93 Mustang GT spec bored .10 over

Redcreeper
April 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Yeah may have to get that looked at. But i will keep digging as much as i can to figure that one out. I will get pics later tonight and get them up. thanks for all your help

Redcreeper
April 14th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Here is some pics. does not look like the right part but the starter is lined up. I may have to ask the PO and see whats up. Your thoughts?

Redcreeper
April 15th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks. I am still in touch with the PO so i will start from there and see what he did. Thanks for the help. Looks like i maybe putting out a garage help day thread soon.