PDA

View Full Version : Towing Capacity

Zatticus
April 16th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Is it possible to get more towing capacity out of your truck?
Like if you had more Torque and bigger brakes?
I can't find that anywhere on google.
I tried.

So now I'm asking you
: )

Aaron
April 16th, 2010, 09:10 AM
It is never 'legal' to carry more than your vehicle was meant to carry (or tow). You can do things that make your rig more tow capable like more horsepower, suspension mods like airbags, better brakes, etc. However, you will still have plenty of components which just aren't ready for the increased demand of towing.

In other words you can do things to make your rig better at towing what it is supposed to tow, but you still shouldnt tow more than it was supposed to tow.

Zatticus
April 16th, 2010, 09:15 AM
It doesn't even tow a small Uhaul Trailer.

It's supposed to have like 3000lbs towing capacity?

I'll look it up, just a second.
Would More horsepower or torque be better for towing capacity?

Aaron
April 16th, 2010, 09:20 AM
It doesn't even tow a small Uhaul Trailer.

It's supposed to have like 3000lbs towing capacity?

I'll look it up, just a second.
Would More horsepower or torque be better for towing capacity?

What was the problem when towing? Rear Sagging? Can't go 55 on the highway? Really slow to get to highway speeds? Tranny slipping? Can't stop?

The fixes are obvious for each of those :)

scout man
April 16th, 2010, 09:31 AM
keep in mind a good portion of the towing rating is based on the physical connection of the hitch to the vehicle. Is it bumper mounted? That will be your weakest and wont have much capacity. Plus if you tow anything, even within the capacity, chances are your bumper will start to sag. If it is frame mounted that is way better, but depends upon how it is mounted to the frame, welded or bolted, how well it is welded or bolted, how strong the frame is where attached, etc. Aaron is 100% right, if it isnt rated to tow it, it never will be. In order to really upgrade the capacity you would technically need to re-work just about every single thing on the vehicle.

Zatticus
April 16th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I don't know actually,
My mom just keeps saying that it won't, and thats why we still have a bunch of stuff in storage in missouri.

I can't find the towing capacity online, so i'll check when I get home, and find out why it wouldn't pull it.
O.O

Zatticus
April 16th, 2010, 09:33 AM
keep in mind a good portion of the towing rating is based on the physical connection of the hitch to the vehicle. Is it bumper mounted? That will be your weakest and wont have much capacity. Plus if you tow anything, even within the capacity, chances are your bumper will start to sag. If it is frame mounted that is way better, but depends upon how it is mounted to the frame, welded or bolted, how well it is welded or bolted, how strong the frame is where attached, etc. Aaron is 100% right, if it isnt rated to tow it, it never will be. In order to really upgrade the capacity you would technically need to re-work just about every single thing on the vehicle.

It's just bumper mounted.
I'll see about getting it welded to the frame, that will help a little, right?

scout man
April 16th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I don't know actually,
My mom just keeps saying that it won't, and thats why we still have a bunch of stuff in storage in missouri.

I can't find the towing capacity online, so i'll check when I get home, and find out why it wouldn't pull it.
O.O

ah, well that changes the hole discussion! Moms (and some dads too) are notorious for saying your truck cant do things jsut because they dont think its safe, or that have heard it from someone, even if it totally is. That said, if you have the manual that came in the glove box it should prolly say so in there. It might also say on the sticker in the door frame?? dont remember if the list towing capacity there or not. I know they do on semis, which is why it is in my head, but honesly cant say I have looked for it on a regular truck. Note when you are searching that there are 2 different weights you will get, tongue weight and rolling weight. Both are important and mostly just depends on how you load the trailer.

If it is bumper mounted, I would not even think about driving it to missouri. I did it with my truck (here to missouri and back) a while back and it was a long bumpy and windy drive, and I think by the time you got there your bumper would be dragging on the ground. Look around on CL or go to uhaul and get a real frame mount hitch, and go for it with a small trailer.

scout man
April 16th, 2010, 09:37 AM
or pay me lots of money and rent me a trailer and I will get it for you :)

Zatticus
April 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM
or pay me lots of money and rent me a trailer and I will get it for you
:lmao:

How much do frame mounted hitches usually run?

scout man
April 16th, 2010, 09:47 AM
well, I just sold a class V (way more than your truck would need, or could handle) for I think $80 used.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1690975690.html

not sure if this fits your truck or not, as most people who sell these dont know there ass from a trailer hitch, but contact a few, drive your truck over and see if it lines up with your frame rails and clear your bumpers. If you get lucky the bolt holes may line up with exsisting ones on your frame, if not take it to someone on here to weld it on for you. Also check junk yards.

Edit: Even if it does bolt on, I think I would have someone run a few beads of weld on it just to be safe. I would do it if you wanted, but I dont think I would weld the hole thing on, just because I think a higher power welder would be safer for something like that. I am sure I could do it, but would hate to think it broke on your way there and stranded you and possibly hurt/killed someone with a runaway trailer.

Zatticus
April 16th, 2010, 09:54 AM
but would hate to think it broke on your way there and stranded you and possibly hurt/killed someone with a runaway trailer.

I've seen somebodys trailer fly off and jump the curb.
It hit a bank.
Hard.

Extremely funny to watch. I'd be pissed if it was mine though

I still don't have any money. Yet, I may be getting some for my birthday, Buy i'll probably end up spending it on stuff like a transfer case and whatever else I can afford.
Or a new Head Unit.
:rolleyes:

Just depends on how much I end up getting from family.
:D

3 more days!

Zatticus
April 16th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Well, if I can't make my truck tow at a higher capacity,
You can get older trucks that pull a good amount right?
Like, if I did end up getting a rally car and building a prerunner and such, I'd need to tow them. at least the rally car.
Thats like 5k lbs or so if I build it lightweight.
And old trucks are cheap(ish)

They can still tow a lot right?
:D

scout man
April 16th, 2010, 10:01 AM
sure, if you buy when that can tow a lot! Although, you are not going to find one cheaper than the $80 hitch would be. Plus you need insurance and plates and titling fees :) It would be better to not put that kind of stress on your little truck though.

honestly, go to uhaul, rent a small box truck, or large van, tell them it is staying in state for 4 days, and drive home and get your stuff. Save the wear and tear on your truck.

Zatticus
April 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM
honestly, go to uhaul, rent a small box truck, or large van, tell them it is staying in state for 4 days, and drive home and get your stuff. Save the wear and tear on your truck.

LIES!

ahah,

I didn't mean I was going to go and buy a cheap old beatup pickup truck now.

Just a thought for when I start building cars.
: )

I'll end up doing thats someday.
When I get a job I'll go rent one and get everything
:thunb:

scout man
April 16th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I didn't mean I was going to go and buy a cheap old beatup pickup truck now.

oh sorry, i guess i just got lost in your A.D.D., A.D.D.-boy.

Zatticus
April 16th, 2010, 10:09 AM
:O

Don't make fun of mee!

:lmao:

tbalcome
April 16th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Uhall won't rent you the trailer to begin with! But adding power and stiffening the springs and better mount can help but carrying a load outside of you capacity is dangerious! The trailer and over take your truck which you don't at all! People pull heavy loads that are designed for a F350 with F150 all the time but when it goes wrong you will be sorry!

Your best bet is to sell the Ranger and get a real Truck like a F150 ;) lol with 4x4 :p

Fordguy77
April 16th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I have hauled a lot with my little ranger. Its towed a Explorer and a B2 back form the springs, with not much problem, but keep in mind i have the 5 spd, and was able to use good gear selection to make up for the lack of balls and such. I am not sure if it would have faired as well if it was an auto. Also i have put a 460 in the bed, 32 80lbs bails of hay in it(short trip less than 4 miles) and hauled all sorts of things from my friends. The little rangers are capable and such, but what all are you really hauling? I have a receiver hitch Class IV rated at 5000. And it has never failed me, but all the excessive hauling and towing i have done have taken its toll on my rear end. When i got it the back end never sagged or anything, now i need to replace the rear springs and shocks. So what are you towing anyway?

scout man
April 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM
keep it mind just because you can doesnt mean you should, and also Missouri is a heck of a lot further than Colo springs.

Fordguy77
April 16th, 2010, 02:31 PM
keep it mind just because you can doesnt mean you should, and also Missouri is a heck of a lot further than Colo springs.

Thats very true, and id inspect the rig, and make sure its in tip top shape before trecking out that far. I've always been told to never pull more than the gross weight of my vehicle. I am not sure how any of my experiences apply to a 2wd 3.0 ranger either.

Haku
April 16th, 2010, 03:07 PM
If my Subaru can handle a 5x8 Uhaul trailer, then your Ranger should be able to as well. Heck, I even flat towed my Samurai to Chinaman Gulch and back with no issues. It was right at the cusp of being to heavy, but as long as I slowed down pretty good at the big turns and didn't go to hard core anywhere, it was fine. Even cruised at 75mph from Johnsonville to past Fairplay. My Subaru has the class 2 hitch on it, which is capable of 200 pounds on the tongue(downward force) and 2000 pulling (trailer weight). Wouldn't think it would be hard to find one for your truck, even if you had to weld it on. Might be slow going if you are down on power though.

Towing a vehicle on a trailer is a whole another deal though. Definitely want a big truck and trailer brakes for that. I'd love to have that kind of setup too, but its not in the cards for me at the moment.

JH

Mporter
April 16th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I don't know if it'd fit your ranger but I got my old receiver (Draw Tite) from my cruiser in my basement. It's just shy of 41.5" wide and (i think) a class III.
I'd have to talk to the pops about selling it if you were interested.

Hypoid
April 16th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Is it possible to get more towing capacity out of your truck? No, that is engineered by the manufacturer.

You will find our vehicle's towing capacity in the owner's manual. You will also find the vehicle's payload capacity.

Speedwagon
April 16th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I can tell you that a 3.0 Ranger with 3.73 gears and an M5OD manual transmission can tow around ~4,000 pounds from Tuscon to Chicago. It doesn't like doing that, but it will. I would not recommend it though. I've done it, and with a fully loaded bed too. Sagging big time, started slow as hell, but it made it.

mikeyc66
April 17th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Wait until you have money and a good job. If you get the frame mounted hitch like suggested, you can pull small trailers just fine.

If/ when your dreams materialize, buy a Dodge diesel and be done with the towing issue. Older ones can be had for less then $5000. Towing capacity is a complicated formula of; weight of tow vehicle, brakes/ engine/ trans combo, WHEELBASE, hitch connection, tires size and type, axle ratings etc.

No matter what you do to your ranger (short of dropping it on the Dodge/ Cummins chassis :rolleyes:) it will never tow around race cars and all the stuff needed for those types of activities. Even if you build a tube buggy, it will weight 3500#, plus trailer 1500#, and spares, gas etc. 5000# minimum, and only a full size is SAFE to tow that with. And most likely legal, since your truck is still only rated for 3000#

Build your Ranger to drive and wheel, but keep it where you can drive it daily until you can afford another vehicle, then decide what to drive daily, old trucks are expensive to drive daily...

FWIW My Dodge gets 18-20mpg on the hiway, loaded not towing. With a 5000# trailer it gets 16-18mpg, something to think about if you are going very far ( I drove almost 30,000 miles in the last year, more then half with a trailer so...):cool:

Roostercruiser
April 18th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I put a reciever on our dakota for $200 at uhal and put a trailet brske control in it. I fully agree with scoutman

Roostercruiser
April 18th, 2010, 11:41 PM
BTW, Kansas is notorius for pulling over pic-k ups with traikers on I-70 or any hiway checking the towing capacities because poeple over load there trucks. i see pu trucks pulled over at least 6 times a week and yiu have to go thru kansas.

Rob
April 19th, 2010, 10:33 PM
you have to go thru kansas.

You don't have to go through Kansas. One cross-country trip I did back in 1980, I drove around Kansas because I didn't want to drive through Kansas. However, I found out Nebraska wasn't much different. :)

Roostercruiser
April 19th, 2010, 10:56 PM
G
tPick ups with traiklers now have to cross the scales in nebraska.

wow. That's a detour , niether onee is very senic

Speedwagon
April 19th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Nebraska is cheaper and faster, though. No toll, and 75 mph vs 70 mph. Don't know about trailer limits though.

Rob
April 20th, 2010, 12:03 AM
wow. That's a detour

I had more time on my hands back then, and fewer responsibilities. None, actually. :thunb:

Brody
April 20th, 2010, 06:35 AM
No matter what you do to your ranger (short of dropping it on the Dodge/ Cummins chassis :rolleyes:) it will never tow around race cars and all the stuff needed for those types of activities. Even if you build a tube buggy, it will weight 3500#, plus trailer 1500#, and spares, gas etc. 5000# minimum, and only a full size is SAFE to tow that with. And most likely legal, since your truck is still only rated for 3000#

X2...you don't see too many little trucks like yours and mine towing anything much bigger than general purpose 'utility trailers'. What you see actually towing stuff are full size rigs and there is a reason for that. I just had a guy ask me to build a receiver hitch on the back of a small 'grocery getter' Yota. The first thing I asked him was "What are you going to tow with it?" . If it was going to be more than a small utility trailer, I wasn't going to even attempt to do this for him for safety reasons. Just because a receiver hitch set up is rated for 5 or 9k doesn't mean that what it is going on is going to be able to handle the weight or stress of towing.

Speedwagon
April 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM

X2...you don't see too many little trucks like yours and mine towing anything much bigger than general purpose 'utility trailers'. What you see actually towing stuff are full size rigs and there is a reason for that. I just had a guy ask me to build a receiver hitch on the back of a small 'grocery getter' Yota. The first thing I asked him was "What are you going to tow with it?" . If it was going to be more than a small utility trailer, I wasn't going to even attempt to do this for him for safety reasons. Just because a receiver hitch set up is rated for 5 or 9k doesn't mean that what it is going on is going to be able to handle the weight or stress of towing.

And not just the vehicle's stress level. The driver's stress level goes way up when you are towing at(or possibly above) capacity with a small truck.