PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use this deflator?

Mporter
April 20th, 2010, 06:56 AM
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product.aspx?id=1236

Its very similar in appearance to the ARB (except cheaper, big shocker there :smokin:)
It has to do with removing the valve stem core, and i'm not sure how easy/reliable it is.

Any opinions would be great. Thanks

Brody
April 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Try looking at Park's tire deflator review:

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodreview/deflatortest/deflatormain.htm

If you don't have an issue with using a regular tire gauge to check the pressure. then use the El Cheapo ($13) TeraFlex style tire deflators. We actually use these a lot more than we do the much more expensive Staun's we have, especially if we are airing down to 16lbs or so. The Staun's are set for 9lbs and we usually only use these for harder trails and just leave them pre set.

Don't bother with anything that costs $30 and involves removing the valve stem. A valve stem remover is about a $3 item and works just as well, but is something that most deflators, including the TeraFlex, do almost as well without bothering to remove the valve stem.

Haku
April 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I borrowed the Currie one from someone once, and it was a nice unit. Well made, chunky feeling. It screws down onto the valve stem, and then has a screw that pulls the valve core out, but its still captured inside the deflator. Makes it go much faster, and there is a sliding collar on it that either lets the air flow or cuts it off once its at the right spot (or to check the level periodically). Worked great after you figure out what all the parts do. Took a bit to figure out, but took all of 30 seconds of futzing to figure out. If you are going to buy a deflator, that one works great and will do the job.

For what its worth, I didn't run out and buy one after trying it. For $3 at Napa, you can grab a valve stem core removal tool (looks like a little screwdriver) and another $2 for a gauge. NAPA has the best one, as its actually a usable shape (the rest are this tiny little t-handle thats awkward to use). This will air down faster then any of the delfators will , at a fraction of the cost. The only exception might be the "monster valves" that Powertank makes, but they are like $150 a set just for the valves, and you have to drill out and retap to use them. I've always just pulled the valve core and less then 30 seconds later I've gone from 30+ psi down to 8-10psi. Went too far once, but just stuck the core back in and inflated it back up to 10psi. Easy Peasy and cheap.

Now what I really want is an inflator that screws on like the deflators do. Only found one clip on tire chuck that I really like, and it was a special order one and would have ended up costing $50, which is too much for a tire chuck. I've tried the clip on variety and they work great for a while but then start to deteriorate after 3 uses. Wish someone made a screw on one so you don't have to sit there and baby sit the thing while letting it fill up. I have a decent air compressor, but it still takes 2-4 minutes for each one to fill up. I've seen some of the small compressors that have something like that, but can't find a tire chuck that is sold to do so.

JH

Andrew
April 20th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I got some Stauns for Christmas and love them. I just used some cheapie things before, but I love the Stauns just for the fact that I can screw them on and then go chat and not worry about the PSI and checking and such.

RockyMtnHigh
April 20th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I have got the ARB, which is the Currie. Currie makes them for ARB and puts their name on it.

For $3 at Napa, you can grab a valve stem core removal tool (looks like a little screwdriver) and another $2 for a gauge.

I know a couple of people who do this (one that actually still does) the other quit doing it after losing the core a few times out in the woods, good thing I had spares. :lmao: It's cheap and quick as long as you have the dexterity in your fingers to keep that little core from flying out into the trees some where.

The Stauns are cool, but I can beat the time it takes with them with the Currie, plus I don't always air down to the same PSI, it depends on the trail.

southpaws3
April 20th, 2010, 09:24 AM
i've got that one it is ok i lost the little single deflators that comes w/ it . but the valve stem remover/pressure check/installer attached to the long tube that gets in the way plus i only have 2 hands operation . its GREAT! i got lucky it only cost me a bottle of everclear-- I love my fellow soldiers..

scout man
April 20th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I have got the ARB, which is the Currie. Currie makes them for ARB and puts their name on it.

I know a couple of people who do this (one that actually still does) the other quit doing it after losing the core a few times out in the woods, good thing I had spares. :lmao: It's cheap and quick as long as you have the dexterity in your fingers to keep that little core from flying out into the trees some where.

The Stauns are cool, but I can beat the time it takes with them with the Currie, plus I don't always air down to the same PSI, it depends on the trail.

Yea, I have always just used the $3 valve stem puller, but it always worries me about losing the core (I do carry spares tho, and now that I have OBA it isnt as big of a deal), but I have though about something like this just because you can lose the core, it is easy to check air pressure while you go, and easy to be more accurate about how much air is in the tire. IMO it could be worth $30. I would also think it would be harder to accidentaly cross thread when reinstalling the core, which I have done before and it sucks really bad.

cfr
April 20th, 2010, 11:14 AM
The Staun's are set for 9lbs and we usually only use these for harder trails and just leave them pre set.

I have the Staun deflators. They rock. Nothing simpler than just screwing it on.

Read this tip somewhere else... If you run two different pressures offroad (Pete's 16 and 9 PSI example), then mark the deflators with a Sharpie or nail polish as "high" and "low" (two each). Then air down two tires at a time depending on your need (high or low pressure).

The Staun's are so easy to use that two tires at a time are still very fast and easy.

Chris
April 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I agree, I have Staun's and like them for the ease of use. I typically only use 2 at a time so I think I'll use the high & low idea.

Mporter
April 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah Steve I'm with you on that. I agree it's kinda expensive considering what you could buy from Napa....but just the peace of mind that you wouldn't have to worry about the core shooting off.

Haku
April 20th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I'm probably jinxing myself now, but I have never had an issue with loosing a stem. The pullers have a little hole that the end goes in, so it can't slip out unless you completely drop the tool. The currie one is nice though, and probably worth the $30-40 they charge for it. Gauge seems nice, all the parts are well made, and its a well thought out design.

JH

gm4x4lover
April 20th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I use a core removal tool as well. Takes alot less time to air down.

Jackie
April 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I have the Staun as well, but haven't mastered setting them yet. The package said they were pre-set for 18 psi, but before I read that, I was twisting them all over the place and messed the pre-set up. I still have to figure out how to reset them (lost the intructions - I'm a loser)!:redface: The only time I put all four on at the same time, I ended up with four different results and had to break out the air compressor and air a couple back up a bit!

Chris
April 20th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I like my Stauns but they aren't consistent even after adjusting since they just don't seem to hold the setting as exact as they should. That's why I just use two, use the same ones on the front and same ones on the back so tire pressures the same. You just need a tire set at the desired pressure Jackie and adjust until the air starts to escape and lock the adjusting ring in place. I'll be doing this to mine using Charles mention of "high" and "low"

Jackie
April 20th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah. I plan on getting all four set equally one of these days as I have a compressor in my garage to monkey around with inflating-deflating. The trails I'm ready to run at this point are all moderate, so I don't think I need to go lower than about 16 on mine. But if I/m wrong, let me know please. (Sorry - high-jack was not intended).

Chris
April 20th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Airing down is a matter of preference for many people, I do it primarily for comfort. Left Hand on Sunday I didn't air down at all, no real need to. A real rocky but trail like Mt Anterro that's easy I air down to 16-18 to save my back. I air down the same for a more difficult trail like Wheeler Lake but for added surface area rather than just comfort. You're probably going to hear people say they go down to 6-8 lbs with just as reasonable reasons.

Roo
April 20th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I have the Currie and it works great! Worth every penny IMO.

cfr
April 20th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I have the Staun as well, but haven't mastered setting them yet. The package said they were pre-set for 18 psi, but before I read that, I was twisting them all over the place and messed the pre-set up. I still have to figure out how to reset them (lost the intructions - I'm a loser)!:redface: The only time I put all four on at the same time, I ended up with four different results and had to break out the air compressor and air a couple back up a bit!

I did the same. Watch this video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_gKfBRPG60

Jackie
April 21st, 2010, 05:51 PM
I'm gonna try that! Thanks for sharing!

ROKTAXI
April 21st, 2010, 07:59 PM
This is what I've used for over 30 years. Tried most of the others and always went back to my 'home made' one. Just clip on the air chuck and put your finger over the hole to see your air pressure. http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/mavalos27/Tire%20deflator/P1000147.jpg http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/mavalos27/Tire%20deflator/P1000149.jpg

Mporter
April 21st, 2010, 08:00 PM
That's a pretty good idea Marty

mushroomax
April 22nd, 2010, 09:30 AM
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product.aspx?id=1236

Its very similar in appearance to the ARB (except cheaper, big shocker there :smokin:)
It has to do with removing the valve stem core, and i'm not sure how easy/reliable it is.

Any opinions would be great. Thanks

I've had the ARB one for 3 years now and have not had any problems with it. I like the fact that I can air down to any tire pressure desired.

ROKTAXI
April 22nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
It's exactly like the one I have... except I modified it and put the air chuck on it to hold it on the valve stem and also drilled a hole like in my photo. Removing the valve core worked ok, but I'm too lazy to go the extra steps required.

Mporter
April 22nd, 2010, 03:14 PM
I went ahead and ordered the Currie and then went through samsclub to buy the MV-50 from http://superflowair.com/products.php based off the review given by ParksOffroad.

mushroomax
April 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
I went ahead and ordered the Currie and then went through samsclub to buy the MV-50 from http://superflowair.com/products.php based off the review given by ParksOffroad.

If you already purchased the MV-50 I hope it works out for you. Did you not consider a York compressor? A York compressor is the way to go in my opinion when considering an On-board Air option.
Or maybe I should reword that last sentence for those that take things too literally. When looking for an On-board Air option, my #1 consideration would be a York Compressor. I am well aware they are not pratical for all applications but it would still be the first thing I would look at with whatever vehicle I was planning to install an OBA system on.

One more thought, if you don't have a winch but plan on buying one, and a York is out of the question, there are decent winches out there that have a decent compressor already installed on them - that is if you are still running a reasonable size tire (maybe up to a 35). Most of these winch/compressor combos are actually cheaper and more efficent than buying a winch and air compressor seperate.

Ok hijack off, I hope everthing works out for the best.:thunb:

Mporter
April 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
I already ordered the superflow (reason being, it's portable) and I do already have a winch. But good input, I appreciate it

orco59
April 23rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
I also use the Stauns with two setting, sure is easy to make a choice.
And I have a MV-50, works good. Just have to watch it after, it gets a little hot. Read somewhere to change the guage, upgrade the power lines and re-tap the hose feed if you are looking to mod it.

Mporter
April 23rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
I was at 4wheelparts today to pick up the deflator and the guy ended up giving me the ARB for the price of the currie, pretty cool mistake he made (it's what he told me over the phone and I was suprised he stuck to his word), bought a 20k 2"x30' recovery strap, learned that I got a good deal on the MV-50 (paid $58, they had it for $70 + tax), and talk to the salesman about the FJ55 he wants to build up.

All in all, a good day