PDA

View Full Version : Geneva Creek

Chris
May 1st, 2010, 08:00 AM
It will be a day for exploring mines along the trail and possibly off to a couple other trails with mines in the area. This trail can probably be run in a stock rig it is rated 3-4. More details as time gets closer.
When: Sunday June 13th
Meet up in Grant at Hwy 285 & Guanella Pass entrance at 9 am head up for the trail at 9:30
Link: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=271

Once over the top of Guenlla pass we the turn off is about a mile passed Duck Lake(Privately owned)

Chris
May 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM
This is a continuation of Sean's original thread made necessary by the new way of posting runs.

SubaCool
May 1st, 2010, 02:37 PM
Will Guannella pass be open by then? We might be in btw.

Red Rhino
June 3rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Is any one going to camp saturday night? Where is a good spot near the trail.

Bryan

sunk
June 3rd, 2010, 08:59 PM
Sounds like fun, and looks like there is quite a bit of interest....

Chris
June 3rd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Sure are a lot of maybe's!

KnuckleHead
June 4th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Asking just in case I don't get it done in time.....
Is this a trail that can be run in 2wd? I installed a lift on the K5 and the front Drive Shaft is to short....

1freaky1
June 5th, 2010, 08:18 AM
There are areas to camp, pay for camp grounds on the east side off Guenella and some free places on the west side of the pass that is where we will be Sunday & Monday nights.

Not sure is a 2 wd can make it as this is my first time up this trail.

Chris
June 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Wow! 7 Yes, and 14 Maybe.

Time to decide folks, 21 trucks would be a bit much but the more the merrier!

:2thumbup:

Andrew
June 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah that would be a lot.

Some friends of mine may come. Not sure.

Andrew
June 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hmmm...8 forgot I was still a maybe lol.

Red Rhino
June 8th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Make that 9 yeses.

Rob
June 8th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Someone needs to check that you can get over Guanella Pass from Georgetown. I think it's closed all summer between Georgetown and Grant because of a rockfall and a section of mountain that's moving downhill. You might have to get to the trail from the other side.

Rob
June 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Here's a story from the Post last August:

A mass of rocks threatening to fall on Guanella Pass Road has forced the indefinite closure of a 6-mile stretch of the road from Georgetown to Clear Lake Campground.

Above-normal rainfall this summer created the unstable rock mass, which might be the size of a football field, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

"With the amount of moisture we have had, the rock mass has loosened up, and there is concern about it sliding across the road," said John Bustos, spokesman for the Arapaho and Roosevelt national forests.

The road will remain closed while the Forest Service evaluates the danger and decides what to do, Bustos said.

The Central Federal Land Highway Division will develop a mitigation plan to deal with the rock.

The large rock mass could be anywhere from 20,000 to 60,000 cubic yards in volume, and would fill up to 6,000 dump trucks.

It is made up of sand, gravel, boulders and rock slabs.

Guanella Pass can be reached on County Road 381 starting at Grant on U.S. 285. Access is only to the pass's summit. There is no through travel to Georgetown.

Chris
June 8th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Public Notice Guanella Pass Opens - 05/26/10

The Clear Creek County Road & Bridge Department has OPENED the summit at Guanella Pass. It is accessible from Grant (SR285), over the summit to Xcel’s Cabin Creek facility. Guanella Pass Road remains closed adjacent to the Cabin Creek Hydroelectric Plant. The summit cannot be accessed from Georgetown. If you need further information, please leave a message on the Road & Bridge line at 303-679-2334, Road Concerns, and someone will call you back. You may also check the Guanella Pass Road Information line at 303-569-3251, ext 2, and the County website at www.co.clear-creek.co.us for updates.

Rob
June 8th, 2010, 09:19 PM
So you might want to change the meeting place to Grant on US 285. :thunb:

Chris
June 8th, 2010, 09:21 PM
This is Sean's run Rob, it shows my name because I had to re-do it when I changed the format.

ROKTAXI
June 8th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Had hoped to make this run but we have way to many irons in the fire for June & July. :frown:

cfr
June 8th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Hmm. Looks like I'll have to cancel my hotel reservations in Georgetown on Saturday night.

Sean -- What's the plan?

Chris
June 9th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I'll step in for Sean and say the meeting place is now Hwy 285 in Grant where you turn for Guanella Pass. There's plenty of room around the intersection or immediately after turning.

1freaky1
June 10th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Yeah thank you Chris for updating this for the new meeting place, It has been years since I went up that way to the pass so we will be a bit more flexible on the time frame as for leaving for the trail. This is going to add some more time having to go around the backside.

At the town of Grant you take a right on Co Rd 62 coming from Denver. Go about 7 miles up to the wye in the road stay to the right and about 400 up go to the left on FSR 119 (Co RD 1038) about 6-7 miles in is another wye stay to the right to access Geneva lake and the upper parts of the trails towards the summits. After looking on the 2010 version of google earth it does not look like the pass is open anymore to the otherside going over to Montezuma guess we will find out!
Any how the last place to fuel up looks like it will be in Bailey for those of us with gas pigs.

As for camp grounds there are a couple there at the basin, Burning Bear is about 4 miles up Co Rd62 from Grant on the right, and Geneva Park campground is just off the turn for FSR 119 (Co RD 1038) about 1500 ft on the left. Not sure if they are fee'd sites or not.

Smash
June 10th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Watch out for weather guys, it's not supposed to be nice!

Mr6dwg
June 10th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Since I don't frequent that area much, I wanted to stress meeting place and time, at least for me. Is this still the meeting place? Hwy 285 & Guanella Pass entrance. The 9:00 part will be early for me (How bad do I want to go?), leaving house at 7:30, getting up at 6:00. I wanted to reinforce the meeting place for my sanity. Is this correct? I saw 1freaky1's entry and wanted to make sure I did not get lost.

Chris
June 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Yes, that's the meeting place now that there's only one way in we don't have a choice. It adds driving time for everyone I imagine but it beats not running the trail. ;)

Fordguy77
June 10th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Doing the brakes and fan clutch on the lc today, if the fan clutch solves my heating problem I'll see you guys Sunday.

Chris
June 10th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Good luck Chris, I'd love to see you join us :thunb:

Aaron
June 10th, 2010, 02:42 PM
This is a big run!

Fordguy77
June 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Cooling Problem Solved! Just waiting on rotors and drums now.... Should be here tomorrow by 3, And on by 5! Looking forward to the run.

Smash
June 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Weatherman says accumulating snow about 9500 feet starting saturday morning. have fun guys!

wyota
June 10th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Ya that's what I just heard, at some point this summer I will go on a run that isn't a snow run :)

Chris
June 10th, 2010, 05:50 PM
It didn't snow on you in Moab Todd!

Chris, was it the fan clutch?

wyota
June 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Lol, ok so it didn't snow in Moab but every other run I've been on so far I have see snow ;)

Chris
June 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Weatherman says accumulating snow about 9500 feet starting saturday morning. have fun guys!

Not going to happen. ;)

KnuckleHead
June 10th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Not going to happen. ;)
I second that...

Hey Chris mind if we meet up and play convoy again? If so where and what time?

Chris
June 10th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Sure Happy, we'll need an early start so how about 7:30, same parking lot at the entrance to my place?

KnuckleHead
June 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Sure Happy, we'll need an early start so how about 7:30, same parking lot at the entrance to my place?
Sounds great, see you there at 720 LOL

Andrew
June 10th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I'm going to have to back out of this. Chris I'll have to see about getting the bag and such to you.

Is anyone else from FoCo going?

Fordguy77
June 10th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Sure was chris. Thanks for the info on how to diagnose it better. Chris, I saw that you and happy are meeting up to convoy up there together and I was curious as to where your leaving from and if I might be able to meet up with you guys.

Chris
June 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
The three of us are in Aurora, we'll be passing through Arvada on I-70 about 20 minutes after we leave (7:50 or so)

Anyone interested in hooking up with us could probably group around E470 and 285 a bit after 8am or so.

Or call out on ch 4 before hitting the hills on 285 where CB's tend not to work very well.

Funrover
June 10th, 2010, 10:25 PM
So how stock friendly is this?

1freaky1
June 11th, 2010, 12:56 AM

Not sure since it appears none of us have run it before, it is rated 3 bottom end and 4 top end from looking at the pics on Traildamage.com it does not look too bad except the ledge areas look like loose rock.

I am just wondering about the spring/summer run off and rain raising the creek crossing making it more fun!

Anyone wanting to meet up from the north end of town I will be leaving the house between 7-7:30 heading out I-25 to I-76 to C470 to 285 just give me a call sometime Saturday and leave a meesage with a number to call you back, 303-289-5787 and take your blocked numbers off cause other wise it will go directly to vm.

Brody
June 11th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Sure was chris. Thanks for the info on how to diagnose it better. Chris, I saw that you and happy are meeting up to convoy up there together and I was curious as to where your leaving from and if I might be able to meet up with you guys.

I may be in on this run, too. Sean doesn't live too far away, either, being in the 88th and Washington Street area. I'll send you a PM if I can go and we can caravan from your house. Gotta pull the axles again and see what is up with the warm hub. Sticking a full hub/rotor assembly in with my junk if I do go. Cleaner to change out (and faster) than a wheel bearing...

Has anyone called to confirm that the I70 side of Guenella Pass Road is open? There was closure due to rock fall recently. In the same vein, what about having as a back up trail Bill Moore or something else close by in the I70 corridor?

1freaky1
June 11th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Yes the I70 side is closed only open to the folks that live there and twice a day for them.

If everyone wants to switch over to doing Bill Moore because it is closer I am ok with that too. ON Geneva there are several trails right there in the same area, I know that there is one that goes over to Montezuma just trying to find which one it is on google earth.
Everyone post up what you want to do.

Chris
June 11th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Bill Moore is still snowed in, let's stick to the plan.

Red Rhino
June 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I vote for Sticking with the plan as well.

Bryan

transplant87
June 11th, 2010, 10:43 PM

Bryan

Happy and I agree

transplant87
June 11th, 2010, 10:49 PM

Bryan

Happy and I agree

Brody
June 12th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Yes the I70 side is closed only open to the folks that live there and twice a day for them.

OK, I am confused now. If the I70 side is closed and we are meeting at the I70 side to run Geneva Creek, how, exactly, are we supposed to access the trail? Is the trail access before the road closure? At the moment, it doesn't seem to make much sense. Sticking with the plan is fine and the trail sounds fun, but a back up plan of some sort would be a good idea...

All I am trying to do with an alternate trail suggestion, especially with so many people going, is not to have everyone meet and then find that the trail cannot be accessed from the meeting point. Is the trail accessible from the 285 side, even though it is a longer drive and a different (and last minute) meet spot would have to be located?

If I can manage to go, I really don't have the gas $$ to drive somewhere and then find that the access to the trail is shut down.

1freaky1
June 12th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Nope sorry Pete. we are meeting in Grant off 285! This is the only way to get access to the trail!

Brody
June 12th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Oooops...didn't see that you had changed the meet spot. Makes sense now. Keep in mind that if Duck Creek is open there are two or three mines at the far end that have the Continental Divide right above them. Santa Fe mine and another one. I know that isn't off of Geneva Creek proper, but Duck Creek is one of the first trails that you pass on the left heading up Guenella after you hit the plateau. They show pretty clearly on the map, too. The road dead ends at the mines.

Just looked at the map on traildamage.com and these are the same mines that you are planning on going to anyway. I have just always called that road Duck Creek. It has always seemed to me to be shorter from the 285 side than from the I70 side, but then I have never liked the drive up from the I70 side unless I was heading to Bierstadt or Evans.

Fordguy77
June 12th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Round One Didnt go so well yesterday when i was attempting to replace the rotors. Getting ready to head outside and take a shot at round 2. I lucked out and my dad is in town and has time to help me! So i have a good feeling about it this time.

Fordguy77
June 12th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Long story short, i just talked with my mom and shes gonna be out of town for the next two weeks, and needs someone to feed our horses. So shes now paying for the land cruiser to go get its brakes done at a shop, so i dont have to do my Brakes in the rain! Bad thing is the Deal includes mucking the stalls and grooming the horses =[ Off to get my brakes done now.

Southparkjk
June 12th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Sorry I'll be back in the Gulf trying to stop the oil leak...But I'll be back 7-6-10 and I'll be ready to go then on some trails.

Jimmy
June 12th, 2010, 04:37 PM
It's been 2-3 years since I've run it, but I can't recall running into anything (other than residual sheets of ice in the trees, and some deeper snow right at the Geneva mine site, from winter) that a decent stocker couldn't do.

Fordguy77
June 12th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Just got the FJ back about an hour ago, brakes are good to go! Got all the gear i have for it packed, and did the prerun look over. I'm good to go. I am stoked to be out on the trails again, especially in my own rig! See you all in the AM.

Rob
June 12th, 2010, 05:40 PM
CB channel?

(I'm still a maybe.)

Rob
June 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM
The weather forecast, by the way, is high of 49 and 60 percent chance of rain. :)

colomil
June 12th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Could my big a$$ suburban (SFA on 37's) make this trail without damage?

Chris
June 12th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I wish I knew an answer Greg but I've never been there. Looking forward to another Cruiser Chris, glad you can make it. Rob, channel 4, give a holler when you're on the road, we know you'll be there in the rain and cold like the rest of us. :)

Red Rhino
June 12th, 2010, 08:30 PM
See you all at Grant in the AM. It will be fun Rain on Shine (Power of Positive Thinking).

Bryan

1freaky1
June 13th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Well I got to do a lil work on my truck for the first time in the new garage last night, got the oil changed, repaired my E-brake, and bottom skid back on but did not get tires rotated or the Transfer case fluid done. Going to be heading to Pete's here in an hour to start snf then head for the hills. I am excited for two reasons----1 Val is coming along and 2 First run of the year for me.:woot:

Chris
June 13th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Looks like a good day for wheeling in the rain!

KnuckleHead
June 13th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Wheeling in the wet stuff will be a first for me!!!!!

Brody
June 13th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Could my big a$$ suburban (SFA on 37's) make this trail without damage?

To try to answer that, Randy, with the big Dodge 2500 diesel crew cab, and Roland with his Surburban, have run this trail a few times, once at night. Bren, another friend of mine, ran it with an FJ 80 Land Cruiser, which is only slightly smaller. As I remember the trail, with the exception of the shelf road, it is a basic Colorado two track for 90% of the trail. Last time I ran it was in early winter a year ago. We got shut down before the mines due to solid ice on the road under the snow. Lockers X 4 or not, progress came to a stop as we started to slide backwards with all 4 tires turning.

Wrustywrangler
June 13th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Sorry I could not make it guys My Alt and Bat fried and My front brakes are screaming at me , it going to be a while before I can even drive my rig on the streets again =(

Brody
June 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Sorry I couldn't either. I have been fighting a rather crappy (literally) bug since the first of the week and thought I was over it. Guess not as I work up this morning doing a sprint for the bathroom. Decided I didn't have time to switch out the driver's seat and both install and plumb a toilet so I could go....I hope this proves to be a fun run for ya!

Rob
June 13th, 2010, 09:16 PM
both install and plumb a toilet so I could go.

You wouldn't have to plumb it. Just cut a hole in the bottom of your floorpan. :)

CR
June 13th, 2010, 09:51 PM
^Gross^

Brody
June 14th, 2010, 06:25 AM
You wouldn't have to plumb it. Just cut a hole in the bottom of your floorpan. :)

Oh....Mr "Go Green" himself speaks up...Be a whole new thing : fertilizing the trail while wheeling...

Trailrat99XJ
June 14th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Sorry I could not make it guys My Alt and Bat fried and My front brakes are screaming at me , it going to be a while before I can even drive my rig on the streets again =(

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT DUDE?