PDA

View Full Version : Poison Spider May 8 2010

Pathrat
May 4th, 2010, 09:42 PM
We have decided that a weekend trip to Moab is imperative. Saturday's trail is Poison Spider. I suppose we will get to the trailhead at about 9am. If anyone wants to go, pm me and I will send my cell number.
-Stephanie

Pathrat
May 4th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Let me know if anyone is going to be in Moab this weekend and wants to run Poison Spider.

Andrew
May 4th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I will be in Moab the 5th-9th. I was thinking about Hells on Saturday, but maybe Friday. Kinda late to try to coordinate anything, I'll be out there with a bunch of Toyota's so maybe you'll see me.

Pathrat
May 4th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Wave when you go by :)

ROKTAXI
May 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Hijack........... I caught up with Andrew today. He called me yesterday (Friday) but I was unable to go on the Hell's Revenge run. But today he called to say one in his group broke a right front axle negotiating Tip-Over-Challenge on Hell's Revenge and were repairing it. Just by accident (no pun intended) I was in town and saw a group of vehicles parked in a (Doctor's) parking lot and noticed the CO license plates. So, seeing an opportunity to be a smart a$$ I drove up and told them they were on private property. I had my FR hat on and it took them a moment to put 2 & 2 together. We introduced ourselves (my wife was with me) and learned of the broken part. They had it all under control. We may be running Hidden Valley, aka Hidden Canyon, aka 3-D tomorrow but he'll call me to update that info.

MelloYello
May 8th, 2010, 05:08 PM
If there are no pics, it did not happen. :D

ROKTAXI
May 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM
If there are no pics, it did not happen. :D

Well, I don't carry a camera with me when I'm just going into town. Didn't think to use my cell phone as I was only there about 5 min.... had an appointment I was already late to. I'm hoping Andrew has taken px of the whole event as I was not there.

Pathrat
May 9th, 2010, 10:08 PM
We did 3-D, or what used to be known as Hidden Canyon today. The Wells book doesn't have it down the way it is now, but I remembered the drop into the canyon from my last trip. I just LOVE baha-ing through those washes! Here are a few views from Bartlett Slickrock.

ROKTAXI
May 9th, 2010, 10:25 PM
One of my favorite trails. Well's doesn't have some of the fun stuff on that trail however.

Funrover
May 10th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Glad you got out!

Pathrat
May 11th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Glad you got out!

Me too, it was necessary. :)

Pathrat
May 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Poison Spider is pretty chewed up. I could not have done it relatively stock like I did two years ago. There are holes and ruts and gouges and loose sand. The first little climb up rocks at the beginning is a whole lot easier to get up than down. The descent required precise spotting. The far right line is tippy and points you off the cliff. The far right is too steep for me, so Gatemonkey took me down the center, next to the groove in the pic, next to where he is standing. There was a lot of this. The shelves have gotten taller due to the dug out dirt at the base. We made it to the gravesite and that was it. I did get to spot a jeep from North Carolina up the Waterfall. He was pretty good to begin with, just had "never seen such a trail" before.
I am a decent driver, I did a lot of pretty good obstacles, but this trail is, in my opinion, not one for the novice. I would love to do it again with other people.

ROKTAXI
May 12th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Many of the trails here have changed a lot in the last few years. Most have got ledges and and other obstacles that were not there back then. Probably two that have changed very little are Fins 'n Things and Hell's Revenge (for obvious reasons).

Your pictures of the switch back at the start will eventually become a "gate keeper".

Pritchett could be done with a limited slip in the rear and open in the front.

Next time you're in Moab, give me a holler!

Pathrat
May 12th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Next time you're in Moab, give me a holler!

I will, but I do not have your number, as we figured out Friday afternoon. I still need to get the book you generously gave me from Chris, and buy you that beer.

ROKTAXI
May 12th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Trails (anywhere) are in continual change. Change can be a good thing... with the exception of Pritchett. The only reason when change is not a good thing is when its change (now) excludes even moderately built equipment. Pritchett is an incredibly beautiful canyon that has been enjoyed for many years not for just it's 4 wheeling, but equally for it'sand beauty. Now all you hear is about the 4 wheeling. When you ask those that have gone through the canyon, barely a word about it's beauty. Now it's only reserved for those that only see it for the extreme challenge. Other trails, maybe like Poison Spider, will cecum to to a similar fate.

MelloYello
May 12th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Agreed. Too many folks just look at the trail and not the beauty of the area. I have not 4-wheeled Moab yet, but I have been going out there every year since '93 for mountain biking. I dig the scenery, it is in my top 5.

Pathrat - Nice pics. Thanks.

Pathrat
May 12th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks, here are some of the beauty of Moab, as much as my POS camera can capture anyways.

Funrover
May 12th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Woo hoo more pics!

JeffX
May 13th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Great pics!

.....Pritchett could be done with a limited slip in the rear and open in the front.....

I know what you're saying, but the way you say it makes it sound like it can currently be done.

ROKTAXI
May 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I know what you're saying, but the way you say it makes it sound like it can currently be done.

Yes, it's doable but straps and winches will be needed if you don't have adequate equipment. The other thing you need to be prepared for is a 50/50 chance of some body damage.... minor to major. Tippy, off camber, pucker factors are also high on the list as well. A must is having someone there that's very familiar with the trail and all it's idiosyncrasies for spotting.