PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

Zatticus
May 5th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Was NOT my idea, and it is not simpler.

I got a new laptop today as a birthday present (it was ordered then, just got it today) and it has widows 7 on it, this is confusing.
D:

Anybody else agree?

Chris
May 5th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Snap! One window here, another here!

That's an old Apple feature, not a new idea. :lmao:

Aaron
May 5th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I like 7. Have had a lot less issues with it than Vista... My Media Server is Windows 7. It has paid for itself relatively quickly with the lack of cable bills.

Zatticus
May 5th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I'd rather just go back to XP.
:D

Haku
May 5th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Windows 7 is by far the best OS that Microsoft has made. I upgraded to it from XP 64 bit a couple months ago and I really really like it. It got rid of a bunch of the clunky useless stuff that Vista had, and its a much tighter package. Much much less of the memory suck, but it still looks crispy and nice. As I said on Facebook the day after I installed it..... "Mac guys no longer have a reason to complain about windows". At least Microsoft still has backwards compatibility, which is something that Mac can very much NOT say with a lot of stuff. The "compatibility mode" options in Windows 7 are really well designed and work awesome. Unfortunately, they aren't in the "home" version of it, so you might not see it if you don't have that on your machine.

While some of the ideas that the adds are pointing out may not be completely original, at least they aren't outright dishonest attacks like the "Mac vs. PC" ones that Apple puts out. I use all the stuff that the adds point out all the time though, and it works really well. My copy seems to be very stable too, and I haven't had it freeze up or blue screen or any of the things that other versions of Windows sometimes do.

I stay stick with it and you'll be happy once you figure out where stuff is.

Josh

Chris
May 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Zack, I'll take your copy of Windows 7 to run on my Mac! ;)

Zatticus
May 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM
haha,
If I decide to go with XP after I run 7 for a little while, you can have it, if you know how to get it and all that?
ahah

Or you could get via other methods *cough*beapirate*cough*
;p

Chris
May 5th, 2010, 05:57 PM
They didn't supply the OS on CD?

Zatticus
May 5th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I don't think so,

Let me check the box really quick. My mom set everything up so it was all ready

it would appear they did not.
Pre installed I guess.
: )

Chris
May 5th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Bummer.

BTW, Happy Birthday Zach.

Zatticus
May 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks.

If your willing to be a pirate for a day, I can find Windows 7 for Mac.

Mporter
May 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I ended up getting Windows 7 after having my computer screwed over by some Malware and yeah I agree it's tough to adjust from XP at first, but now that I have it, I love it.

Chris
May 5th, 2010, 07:01 PM
If your willing to be a pirate for a day, I can find Windows 7 for Mac.

No thanks, XP is fine for my use. Free legal Windows 7 would be good though. ;)

Mporter
May 5th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Free legal Windows 7

:rolleyes::smokin:

scout man
May 5th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I love windows 7! Way better than xp. The only thing I dont like about it is the control panel, hard to figure out where things are behind the scenes, but for normal day to day use I love it.

Speedwagon
May 5th, 2010, 10:40 PM
No thanks, XP is fine for my use. Free legal better than Windows would be good though. ;)

Fixed it for you... and it is called Linux(for most people. There are certain things you need winblows for).

And Windows 7 is ginormous! It comes on a damn DVD it's so frickin huge! Around 3 gigs worth of crap they bundled together.

Haku
May 6th, 2010, 01:31 AM
Meh....one of these days I'll try Linux, but don't really feel the need to use glitchy homemade drivers and often buggy software.

I think Windows has become popular to badmouth, but in reality its an amazing piece of software. My dad has been doing a lot of programming lately with a project, and goes on for hours about how powerful the development packs are for Microsoft. Sure, its a bit complicated, but the possibilities are endless, and much of the legwork of code writing has been done by Microsoft programmers. This allows developers to focus on getting their product done, rather then having to start from scratch with coding every time. MS is definitely the leader in this, and its the reason why 90% of software is designed for Windows (and then ported to Mac or Linux).

People may ***** about Windows, but in an informal poll on another forum, 82% of the people said they prefer PC over Mac. Lots of differing answers why, from Apple stuff being too expensive for what you get, to not liking the interface, to not being able to run a program they need without having to load Windows on their Mac, and so on. There was no option for Linux guys, but most of the guys who wanted it said they had Windows boxes that dual booted Linux. For me, it comes down to really not liking the interface of the Mac, and really really disliking the smug fanaticism that Apple guys often personify. Even worse, its only fed by the Apple machine with their stupid adds. I'm glad MS is finally doing some counter ads (you'll note they never say anything bad about Macs in theirs, but instead push the positives of "being a PC") to the stupid dishonest "Mac vs. PC" adds.

I'll reaffirm that you should stick with Windows 7 for a while. Its a really good system, and its been a long time coming.

JH

Speedwagon
May 6th, 2010, 04:37 AM
but don't really feel the need to use glitchy drivers and often buggy software.

There, I removed one word and just described Microsoft products.

You can try Linux for free, without ever installing it too. Something MS can't provide.

I would argue that most of the software is made for Windows, because Microsoft spend a fortune promoting Windows 95, which put them out there like nothing had ever been before. Microsoft lit up the Empire State Building to match the colors of the Windows logo for the launch, among other things. It was a phenomenal launch, that really put them out there and got them the market share.

And yes, Microsoft has done wonders for the computing industry. That cannot be denied. Windows 7 does seem to be far greater than Vista has been though.

RockyMtnHigh
May 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I don't think so,

Let me check the box really quick. My mom set everything up so it was all ready

it would appear they did not.
Pre installed I guess.

You sure? You paid for the OS (or your mom did) and they should have included the disk. I would be calling whoever and asking what's up.

Zatticus
May 6th, 2010, 06:55 AM
You sure? You paid for the OS (or your mom did) and they should have included the disk. I would be calling whoever and asking what's up.

It came pre-installed on my computer, and unless she threw the cd away, its not here. She wouldn't have sent it away though, because her friend is a computer IT type stuff. Buuut,
Now that I thnk about it, I should have atleast gotten somekind of system restore disc.
:erm:

Mporter
May 6th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I have noticed that most of the laptops today don't come with the install disk....but I think you can call their company and ask for it.

Chris
May 6th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Fixed it for you... and it is called Linux.

Yep, I have Ubuntu installed: http://www.ubuntu.com/

don't really feel the need to use glitchy homemade drivers and often buggy software.

Sounds like you're describing Windows :lmao:

I don't argue to popularity of Windows, 82.88% of visitors to this forum use one form or another. Along that like 39.02% still use IE so there's no way to understand what people choose.

smug fanaticism that Apple guys often personify

Reading your post bring the expected "smug fanaticism that Windows guys personify" response to mind.

Personally I couldn't care less what anyone uses, I use Mac and Barb uses XP. Who cares?

scout man
May 6th, 2010, 08:11 AM
My laptop came with the WIndows 7 CD. You have to have it in case you ever need to reload it. I would get it now, as this stuff goes out of date yesterday and you never know when you can no longer get what you need on CD.

Zatticus
May 6th, 2010, 09:23 AM
My laptop came with the WIndows 7 CD. You have to have it in case you ever need to reload it. I would get it now, as this stuff goes out of date yesterday and you never know when you can no longer get what you need on CD.

Yeah, I know that if I absolutely had to, I could probably get one from Matt, But I'd rather just call them and complain about not getting one.
I like complaining.

Macs are Overpriced
Windows are flawed(severely)
And Linux is too much programming for what I want.

They all have there flaws. And they all have their advantages.

Its just a matter of Opinion.

RockyMtnHigh
May 6th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I have noticed that most of the laptops today don't come with the install disk....but I think you can call their company and ask for it.

I just recently bought two laptops, one with Vista the other with 7, then there's the desktop I bought last year with Vista on it, all of them came with the disk and three licenses I believe. About the only time I have heard Microsoft allowing multiple licensees or mass loadings of their operating systems is with large corporations / schools and they pay for it. That said, if you look at the break down of what you paid for and you see a charge for 7 that disk should have been in there, along with the key.

Aaron
May 6th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I downloaded my first Windows 7 from Microsoft so they gave me no disc. There was an option to create a disk from an ISO though so I did.

Haku
May 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Most of my laptops didn't come with a "windows" disk, but rather a system restore disk that had windows plus all of their bloatware and drivers on it. You should definitely have a little card at the very least with the activation key on it. Check the jacket of the manual, since they stick it in there sometimes. Buying the computer includes the cost of buying Windows, so it should definitely be there. That being said, it probably will not work with any other computer, so its not something you can hand out to someone if you downgrade to XP. Also, if you really want to do that, contact the manufacturer of your computer and they might be willing to give you an install disk for XP for cheaper then you could buy it yourself (if you decide to do it legitimately and legally).

Josh

Aaron
May 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Continuing what Josh said, these days computers don't even come with restore disks. They have a small partition on the hard drive which is used to restore the computer to the factory settings when necessary. The bottom of the computer on a laptop or the back of a desktop typically has a sticker with the windows key.