PDA

View Full Version : Hand Throttle

Chris
May 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
With some help from Pete the contortionist and Aaron's nimble fingers I got my new hand throttle installed today. Just thought I'd pass on the source for anyone interested, very heavy duty and needed shortening which is usually a good thing.

ROKTAXI
May 7th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I put one on mine a few months ago. A mix & match parts. Found a source on Ebay for the cable and ends and then used a bicycle gear changer (old style). Mounting had to be a little creative.

southpaws3
May 7th, 2010, 09:28 PM
i have a brand new one- it's a little dirty $15 dollars give me a call

Chris
May 7th, 2010, 09:32 PM
What I liked about this one is it replaced the no longer working stock one w/o much trouble at all.

Zatticus
May 7th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hand throttle like, You push a button and it works like the gas pedal?
:confused:

scout man
May 7th, 2010, 10:24 PM
i have a brand new one- it's a little dirty $15 dollars give me a call

That style? Thats exactly what I have been looking for. If you have one, I will take it!

Does it have the cable too or just the actuator?

Brody
May 8th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Hand throttle like, You push a button and it works like the gas pedal?
:confused:

Think of it like an old school choke cable where you have to pull the cable out to choke it. Works the same way, only instead of choking the engine it is hooked up to the actual throttle and just kicks the rpms up. Chris' is an actual throttle control cable for a piece of industrial machinery, Toyota makes a stock version for Land Cruisers, mine is made from a bike shift lever and cable. They all do the same thing. Great for low rpm wheeling.

Zatticus
May 8th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I thought so,

It only has an advantage in maual tranny rigs, right?

Mporter
May 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Good to hear Chris...now you don't have to mess with mine anymore

ROKTAXI
May 8th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I thought so,

It only has an advantage in maual tranny rigs, right?

I only use it for winching. I tried using it as a poor mans cruise control but this ain't Kansas flat land here. Also not very safe if you have to brake suddenly.

Mporter
May 8th, 2010, 08:06 AM
You also can use it when airing up tires.

So really just whenever you have more electrical demand and need to keep your alternator goin

Chris
May 8th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Good to hear Chris...now you don't have to mess with mine anymore

Yours was the first I've seen that works Matt, until messing with yours I didn't know how mine was supposed to work. :lmao:

The PO must have used it a lot unlike yours which must appears to work like new.

scout man
May 8th, 2010, 09:32 AM
So really just whenever you have more electrical demand and need to keep your alternator goin

Thats exactly what I want one for. I have a high output alternator, but it actually under-performs at idle... so for using an inverter off the engine, or winching, etc I will want more alternator output, and for my york OBA I want more rpms at the belt to push air faster.

Mporter
May 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Thats exactly what I want one for. I have a high output alternator, but it actually under-performs at idle... so for using an inverter off the engine, or winching, etc I will want more alternator output, and for my york OBA I want more rpms at the belt to push air faster.

Got your solution Steve
http://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/brick.jpg

scout man
May 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM
nah, right now I use an ice scraper... way more dual purpose and lighter than a brick!

Mporter
May 8th, 2010, 06:53 PM
That works too :smokin:

DHYDR8D
May 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I used an emergency brake release handle from an early Toyota in a commando I built it never failed and I loved it. Cheap and easy also.

Andrew
May 10th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I just got an automatic and sticking with just the foot throttle ;)

Chris
May 10th, 2010, 09:47 PM
That works, where's the Moab Report?