PDA

View Full Version : What CB radios are you people using?

DHYDR8D
May 18th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I am in the market for a CB. I would like a waterproof one if possible. What do you recommend? Less than $100.

Hypoid
May 18th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I bought the el-cheapo Cobra set from Walmart. The radio and magnetic mount antenna set me back $50 two years ago. I have not seen anything cheaper for new equipment.

Roostercruiser
May 18th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Winky has my old cobra 148 gtlf, i just gave away my galaxie 949 and cobra 29. all i have now is a Midland handheld radio works awesome and cost $20 at Pilot/Bosselman truck stop. No more wires or broken ateennas and i can takr it out of my truck .it works off of 9 AA or cig lighter. Its has a couple mile range.it light and has a belt hook. ill a take a pic of it if you want to see it.:thunb:

JeffX
May 19th, 2010, 05:31 AM
I use the Cobra 75 WX. It's a little more expensive, but is wonderful because it doesn't require dash space.

http://4x4icon.com/offroad/cb/cobra_75_wx_st_m.gif

Brody
May 19th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I bought the el-cheapo Cobra set from Walmart.

X2 for me. $34 special at Wally World. Antenna I got at the TA truck stop. Since I don't need to talk to some trucker in Alabama, this works just fine for me.

JeffX
May 19th, 2010, 06:00 AM
....Antenna I got at the TA truck stop......

x2 on the truck stop. They have the best antenna sets, IMO. I drove 20 miles to Fountain for mine.

scout man
May 19th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I would like a waterproof one if possible.

I have one sitting in my garage that we could talk price on. Used it years ago and it worked fine, but I picked up a free one that had more features so I switched it out. Now I have a Cobra classic, and will eventually upgrade to one with the bluetooth, just because my rig is so d*mn loud I cant talk on a normal phone while driving it.

i dont remember the brand off the top of my head, but it is intended for marine usage, and is about as water proof as you will find. If you are interested I will take a pic and see if I can find the details about it.

tbalcome
May 19th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Go VHF HAM radio! Otherwise I would do the cheap Walmart radio! CB's are legally all the same 4 watts so it really doesn't matter!

scout man
May 19th, 2010, 10:22 AM
CB's are legally all the same 4 watts so it really doesn't matter!

Yes, legally this is true. But in my personal experience, some CBs work a hell of a lot better than others. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. A $30 CB will work, but it will not work as well as a $150 CB. 4 watts is 4 watts, but cheap components and shotty assembly will greatly deminish the functionality of these units. Not saying dont buy a $30 CB, if it suits your needs then go for it. But if you wheel enough with others that have CBs, you can hear the difference between cheap and expensive, both in range and in quality of the sound that gets transmitted. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a $30 one, but I wouldnt expect the same level as performance out of it. My personal reasons for not using them are 1) I really need the extra features of the more expensive radios, such as Noise Cancelling, Sound Tracker, etc just because my rig provides a tremendous amount of electrical interference, and 2) I like being able to reach the back of the group from the front if I am a few turns away from the end of the line, or if someone goes ahead a little to scout a trail to see if it is the right way, etc.

As far as the HAM goes, it is great, and I might get one some day, but it doesnt substitute for a CB. If you are on a trail run with 8 other rigs from FR, chances are most, if not all, of them will have CBs. The likely hood of more than maybe one other having a HAM is very low. In fact, most runs I have been on have not even had one HAM. If you are out there with a HAM, you might be able to talk further with more options, but you still cant talk to anyone in your own group. IMO a HAM as a GREAT addition to a CB, but they accomplish 2 different tasks.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to start a fight or say anyone is wrong, just expressing my views on it. I am not saying you shouldnt buy a $30 one. I would if it fit my needs... but it doesnt. Which is also why I have radios sitting around I am not using.
If you are like Pete, and you dont care about range or talking to anyone other than the people on the trial with you, then a $30 one fits your needs great. <-- dont read this as me being an a-hole, I am not trying to be, just trying to pre-empt some fights that I have seen pop up on this subject in other threads. There are too many fights popping up these days, and I am just trying really hard to avoid one :D

tbalcome
May 19th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Yes, legally this is true. But in my personal experience, some CBs work a hell of a lot better than others. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. A $30 CB will work, but it will not work as well as a $150 CB. 4 watts is 4 watts, but cheap components and shotty assembly will greatly deminish the functionality of these units. Not saying dont buy a $30 CB, if it suits your needs then go for it. But if you wheel enough with others that have CBs, you can hear the difference between cheap and expensive, both in range and in quality of the sound that gets transmitted. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a $30 one, but I wouldnt expect the same level as performance out of it. My personal reasons for not using them are 1) I really need the extra features of the more expensive radios, such as Noise Cancelling, Sound Tracker, etc just because my rig provides a tremendous amount of electrical interference, and 2) I like being able to reach the back of the group from the front if I am a few turns away from the end of the line, or if someone goes ahead a little to scout a trail to see if it is the right way, etc.

As far as the HAM goes, it is great, and I might get one some day, but it doesnt substitute for a CB. If you are on a trail run with 8 other rigs from FR, chances are most, if not all, of them will have CBs. The likely hood of more than maybe one other having a HAM is very low. In fact, most runs I have been on have not even had one HAM. If you are out there with a HAM, you might be able to talk further with more options, but you still cant talk to anyone in your own group. IMO a HAM as a GREAT addition to a CB, but they accomplish 2 different tasks.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to start a fight or say anyone is wrong, just expressing my views on it. I am not saying you shouldnt buy a $30 one. I would if it fit my needs... but it doesnt. Which is also why I have radios sitting around I am not using.
If you are like Pete, and you dont care about range or talking to anyone other than the people on the trial with you, then a $30 one fits your needs great. <-- dont read this as me being an a-hole, I am not trying to be, just trying to pre-empt some fights that I have seen pop up on this subject in other threads. There are too many fights popping up these days, and I am just trying really hard to avoid one :D
Oh I agree I was just throwing the HAM thing out there. It does depend on your needs! I just have never been really impressed with CB even with the most expensive CB that is "legal" and best antenna I have only seen people gain a mile or two over the cheape and a decent 4' whip. I do have some friends who are truckers with "modified radios" $250+ get 20 miles but these are by no way legal. Not to mention kinda a waste of money I think on a CB, I can get up to 50 miles for a $110 HAM radio, and sometimes 150 miles if there is a good repeater near by! :2c:

scout man
May 19th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I just have never been really impressed with CB even with the most expensive CB that is "legal" and best antenna I have only seen people gain a mile or two over the cheape and a decent 4' whip.

I agree. But times like Moab this weekend, I would have been lost without a CB. From here to moab thats how we decided when to stop for gas (:D I am the one that would have suffered there), and to stop and go the the bathroom, etc. In fact, coming back Brad and I were talking quite a bit, and it very much helped to keep me awake for the drive. HAM definitely has its benefits, but only if everyone has them, which is very unlikely. It would be nice, but unlikely. I think on this trip Chris was the only HAM operator, and to the best of my knowledge he doesnt even have a HAM installed right now, but I could be wrong about that. It would be nice if they were more reliable and such, but I guess that is just the nature of the beast.

tbalcome
May 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM
It would be nice if they were more reliable and such, but I guess that is just the nature of the beast.
Reliable HAM VHF and UHF doesn't get any more reliable then that, it is what Fire, Police, and EMS have used for many years, some still do! There are some bands that are not as reliable in the HAM bands but they are used for hobby communication to other countries. Your right those bands are hit or miss! :p

As far as 4x4's being on the ham bands I am working on spreading the awareness. Now that work has stablized and I am finished with my Jeep's motor I plan on doing some demo's! ;)

scout man
May 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM
yea, I meant about CBs being reliable. Would be nice if they were more so, but it is what it is. And I agree, HAM would be good, but untill everyone has one, it is important to have a CB also.

Lysmachia
May 19th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Um, getting a HAM also requires getting your 2M license... which is added time and money. I would like to have My HAM at some point for MOAB Caynonlands stuff, But I have done just fine with My Radio Shack 40$ CB that has been able to get another part of my group from Hells revenge over, to Moab Rim, or Poison Spider...

When getting a CB even the cheap one TRY to find one that has not only the squelch adjustment but the RF gain adjustment as well. (Once adjust for projecting signal, the other for tuning in to recieve it) Also Make sure you get a CB cord long enough (I think 9 feet is standard) to allow you to mount the antenna in the best place possible. Make SURE you have that antenna grounded, otherwise, you have terrible reception and broadcast.

Lastly find someone with an SWR meter to tune your CB once installed. (We have one - live in Firestone) While I never tuned mine at first, I do know some people who fried their CB's because they never tuned them.

There is a great CB shop right next to Johnston's Corner off of I-25, (near Loveland) - and then any Travel America location (truck stop) usually has stuff.

Andrew
May 19th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I also use the Cobra 75WXST. When not in use, all that is taken up is the small plug on the dash where the handset plugs into.

tbalcome
May 19th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Im running a 75WXST as well for space reasons! And running a http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8281 for my ham!

Mporter
May 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I got the Cobra 18WXSTII it works fine, and fits in a single DIN stereo slot :D

DHYDR8D
May 19th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for all the info! I just checked out ebay and I found a 75 wxst with free shipping for $94 I think I aM going that route.

Andrew
May 19th, 2010, 06:34 PM
It's cheaper on Amazon and also free shipping. Barely cheaper, but you will actually be sure you have some customer service you can turn to in case something goes wrong. They also make an extension cable which I needed - you may or may not depending on where you are mounting it, etc.

Mporter
May 19th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I bought my Cobra from amazon and it arrived near-DOA. It would not find a ground anywhere, so i contacted cobra, sent it to them, and they had a new one for me in the mail.

Not saying everything from amazon is this way, just be wary.

Jackie
May 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I have an unused $50 gift card to spend on Ebay. What would you guys think of this radio (because I don't want to mount anything in my jeep, but a Cb would be cool to have on the trail): http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MIDLAND-75-785-40-channel-Handheld-CB-Radio-75785-/390197827438?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad99a576e.

If you say "pass", what would you do with the $50?

scout man
May 19th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I have always thought about getting one even though I have one in my rig. My intention would be to hand it off to a spotter. My rig is so loud, that I think it could be beneficial. I know on Kane Creek this past weekend there were times Brad and Marty were spotting me, and I could tell they were saying something, but I have no clue what it was. Yes - spotting should mostly be done with hand signals, but there are times where words are nice, and it seems to me like a pretty good way to convey them.

JeffX
May 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I bought my Cobra from amazon and it arrived near-DOA. It would not find a ground anywhere, so i contacted cobra, sent it to them, and they had a new one for me in the mail.

Not saying everything from amazon is this way, just be wary.

Am I missing something?

You didn't say anything about anybody on Amazon. You said that you received a bad Cobra unit. That can happen anywhere.

Mporter
May 20th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Well the unit was actually sold from the Amazon store, not an independent dealer....it might have just been the shipping that screwed with a transistor or something. Regardless, Cobra has good customer service which is always a good point for me.

JeffX
May 21st, 2010, 05:46 AM
Well the unit was actually sold from the Amazon store, not an independent dealer....it might have just been the shipping that screwed with a transistor or something. Regardless, Cobra has good customer service which is always a good point for me.

Obviously, I can't read.

In any case, I think I bought mine on Amazon, too. It was a $50 savings over radio shack.

Mporter
May 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
Not a problem jeff. Yeah that's why I went with Amazon too, savings were too great to pass up.