PDA

View Full Version : I got MT/R's

Mr6dwg
May 20th, 2010, 10:43 AM
1220712206Hello. As well as anybody else, I do my fair share of shopping prior to purchasing. And even then, it is hard to squeeze the money out of my hands. My ProComp XTerrain tires had been good tires. I did not have any issues with them, but they were getting quite thin and needed replacement. Out of all of the tires I saw and compared, I had come to the conclusion that I wanted the BFG TA KM2 mud tire. Nobody had them. And the cheapest price I found was $212 at Sears in Longmont. My problem was that there was a 6 week waiting list. Well, I figured I could handle that. After the 6 weeks, plus 1 more for good measure, I called Sears. They tell me there will be another 8 week waiting period. I had a friend in Houston. I had him get with the BFG warehouse down there. They were telling him the same story. So, due to mismanagement on inventory, BFG is missing out on sales. I went to Sears and asked for my money back. I paid for these tires 2 months ago!!. They were not too eager in returning my money and started offering other tires in their store. I told them those tires were a waste of time for me. I asked if I could get the Goodyear MT/R tires. They politely told me those tires cost more. I replied with "I don't care". So, with some conversation and LOT'S OF PATIENCE ON MY PART, I talked them into letting me have the MT/R tires for the price of the KM2 tires. I got them last Thursday and already tested them on Lefthand canyon road. Open up the gates!! I am ready to go now!!!

tbalcome
May 20th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Those bad boys are heavy arn't they! I think they are the haviest tires I have ever picked up!

Roo
May 20th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Nice Meats! Congrats on a great deal too!

Brody
May 20th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Those bad boys are heavy arn't they! I think they are the haviest tires I have ever picked up!

You are welcome, at any time, to change, rotate, or heave the spare tire up onto the back of my rig. I run 38x15.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers. Then you can screw around with these which will seem light in comparison. I ran the 37x14.50 Toyos for awhile (and liked them) and was able to get the spare up onto my truck. I actually had to reconfigure and lower the tire mount so that I can get the Nitto spare up there. About 15lbs difference and two inches maxxed me out. Even so, the Nittos are a tire I have to give a little thought to before hucking them up onto my rig...

Those are nice, BTW...Supposed to be a stellar tire and no one that I know the runs them has anything at all bad to say.

Mporter
May 20th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Nice. I gotta love playing the "well it's not my fault you guys didn't have it" card.....and i also hate it when people do it to me at work, but meh, what can ya do?

DHYDR8D
May 20th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I just ordered some 35's for mine today! Got a lot of work ahead of me to get them bolted on,but it is going to be SICK!

Roostercruiser
May 20th, 2010, 05:49 PM
i hate to see how much the Pitbull Rockers aregonna weight? When u geu to 40 inch tires there isnt qqueit as much of a selection. Ivr heard nothing but good thing about those tires. And they look great on your jeep..

Jimmy
May 20th, 2010, 08:36 PM

You are welcome, at any time, to change, rotate, or heave the spare tire up onto the back of my rig. I run 38x15.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers. Then you can screw around with these which will seem light in comparison. I ran the 37x14.50 Toyos for awhile (and liked them) and was able to get the spare up onto my truck. I actually had to reconfigure and lower the tire mount so that I can get the Nitto spare up there. About 15lbs difference and two inches maxxed me out. Even so, the Nittos are a tire I have to give a little thought to before hucking them up onto my rig...

Those are nice, BTW...Supposed to be a stellar tire and no one that I know the runs them has anything at all bad to say.

I weighed my old Jeep's wheel/tire combo once (37x13 Boggers on MRT beadlocks)... 119 lbs. Heaving those things around got old real quick.

Looks like GY updated the MTR design... I prefer the MTRs over a true mud tire around here... They're quieter on the highway and handle the terrain just fine.

Red Rhino
May 20th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I replied with "I don't care". So, with some conversation and LOT'S OF PATIENCE ON MY PART, I talked them into letting me have the MT/R tires for the price of the KM2 tires.

Nice, that is my king of dealing. Hope to see them on the trail.

Bryan

JeffX
May 21st, 2010, 05:58 AM
Nice. Where is the 'green with envy' smiley when you need it?......

1freaky1
May 21st, 2010, 06:27 AM
Nice looking tires want to see how the do overall for ya while I wait for my XTerrains to wear out and then my 35s so it will be a couple years. Keep us posted on them as time goes on.

Mporter
May 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM
Looks like GY updated the MTR design

Yeah they no longer sell the other style ones...they've switched over to the kevlar sidewalls

Mr6dwg
May 21st, 2010, 01:18 PM
After having them for a week now, I can say they are really a quiet tire on the highway. These tires have brought out another "needed" expense. I was going north on I25 towards Loveland, and hit a good-sized bump. I got the most awful shimmy and out of control feeling. I was fighting panic and the Jeep at the same time, trying to get the Jeep slowed down enough for it to drive with some sanity. I have had this for awhile, but since getting these new tires, it has really made that evident. I need a new steering stabilizer shock. Since I have the Rubicon Express lift kit, I purchased the stabilizer from them. It was not expensive. Those tires are heavy enough that it really accentuated the neccessity to get that fixed!

scout man
May 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Since I have the Rubicon Express lift kit, I purchased the stabilizer from them. It was not expensive. Those tires are heavy enough that it really accentuated the neccessity to get that fixed!

Does this mean you already ordered it? If not, I have some steering stabilizer cylinders sitting in my garage for sale, if you would like one.

JeffX
May 21st, 2010, 09:38 PM
After having them for a week now, I can say they are really a quiet tire on the highway. These tires have brought out another "needed" expense. I was going north on I25 towards Loveland, and hit a good-sized bump. I got the most awful shimmy and out of control feeling. I was fighting panic and the Jeep at the same time, trying to get the Jeep slowed down enough for it to drive with some sanity. I have had this for awhile, but since getting these new tires, it has really made that evident. I need a new steering stabilizer shock. Since I have the Rubicon Express lift kit, I purchased the stabilizer from them. It was not expensive. Those tires are heavy enough that it really accentuated the neccessity to get that fixed!

It's not the weight. They are probably over-pressurized.

Rob
May 21st, 2010, 09:38 PM
I have some steering stabilizer cylinders sitting in my garage for sale

That reminds me. I need to come by your house one of these weekends and see if one of those will fit my 40. I think it would just be unbolt the old one, bolt up a new one.

scout man
May 21st, 2010, 10:37 PM
I think it would just be unbolt the old one, bolt up a new one. Should be

Brody
May 22nd, 2010, 06:37 AM
That reminds me. I need to come by your house one of these weekends and see if one of those will fit my 40. I think it would just be unbolt the old one, bolt up a new one.

About how that works, Rob. These are actually one of the more simplistic and easy to replace (and get to) things on a rig. Just make sure to get the size right, especially if both sides are fixed like a lot of factory set ups are. Too long or too short will jack your turning radius up. If there is an adjustable mount on the drag link (or whatever you have) you have a little more flexibility. Just make sure that it is centered.

Keep in mind that it isn't going to "fix" your steering problem, only cover it up. You have something else going on with the steering that needs to be addressed: worn steering box, worn tie rod/drag link ends, steering box needs to be adjusted, etc. If it was me, I would replace the tie rod/drag link ends, tighten the steering box up, then see if you actually need a stabilizer after you fix the real problem.

Rob
May 22nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks, Pete. I just figured I'd replace if before it rusted out completely and fell off. ;)

KnuckleHead
May 24th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Looks good