Of course, the open frames on these K5's aren't super stout and require some beefing-up in areas. However, the platform is and has been a lot of fun to get working on holistically.
I picked it up for $2800 in primer gray and with straight body lines. The interior was shot and smelled like it was, at some point, the home for the Rats of Nimh.
I didn't do much early on with it besides putting on the steelie 15's and 35" Maxxis Treps. I had a fun trial run in the K5 on Metberry Gulch late last summer with some fine FR4x4 forum members. But, since then she's been parked awaiting the transformation. Well...it's begun in full force now that I've offloaded the Chvy Avalanches.
- Beige rattle-can bed liner
- White & amber LED conversion
- Crown Vic electric fan mod and new radiator (she runs cool now)
- Corbeau baja seats with harnesses
- Gutted the interior and ditched the rear bench
- Ditched the 10 bolts; installing the trussed 14 bolt rear and rebuilt Dana 60 King Pin. 4.56 gears and Detroits front and rear. Almost done with the pricey Dana rebuild.
- New 17" steelies and 37's for the 8 lug axles
- Bed cage 90% done. Cab cage next.
- Coilovers, hoops and 4-link after the 1-tons are in place and mapped out (need to beef up that open frame on the K5 first)
- Bed mount fuel cell on order, stock tank out.
Coming soon after the axle swaps:
- TH400 to replace the 700R
- Hopefully an NP205 to replace the 208
- New driveshafts
- Some narrowing to accommodate the flex and mitigate tire rubs
- My wife disagrees...but there will likely be more.
I haven't taken a ton of pics along the way, but here's a few: