User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 671 Posts

Default Re: Steven's '93 YJ

Jim previously posted:
    "I heartily recommend a permanent mod of cutting an access panel in the back floor of the jeep."

functional for sure....but it just makes me cringe....
    2010 Tacoma TRD

Last Online
    9 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1993 Jeep YJ (stock)
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

FINOCJ previously posted:
    " functional for sure....but it just makes me cringe...."

Jim -- I'll have to check it out when I see you next!

On another note, noticed some oil on my air filter today. Google taught me about engine blow-by so I went to check out my PCV valves. The metal one near the front of the valve cover was almost completely blocked with gunk. Cleaned it out and gave the air filter a 180 so I can clearly see if any more oil gets on it (new air filter on order). While I had the hoses off I decided to take off the throttle body and mess with the idle screw. 1/2 turn increase and the 4 banger now purrs happily just around 900 rpm at idle instead of rumbling along and shaking I might dial the screw back just a tick but overall very happy with the result

Last Online
    46 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,383 Posts

Cringe, well yes, I understand your thinking... that full flow of hot metal sparks at the gasket area to the fuel tank while cutting - I understand the cringe factor you're thinking of. Fire extinguisher at the ready and all is good.

or, wait, you're not thinking of a permanent mod to an old-er vehicle, no?

Steven and I are in a ?slightly? different era (and yet are 27+ years old). I am in the function over form world (though I'm nowhere near the "Grampa's Jeep" world)...

EDIT: It wouldn't be me if I didn't have pictures. I just put them up:
    www.JimWilliamson.net/automobile/2013-09--tech--jeep-fuel-pump-access/

4. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Steve-O (4 Weeks Ago)

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5-1958WillysWagon-2010Tacoma
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 671 Posts

I don't love permanent mods to my tacoma sheet metal either....I am struggling with how many mods I am making to the 58 willys. If it didn't already have the sbc swap, I certainly wouldn't be doing what I am trying to do....and the project has certainly help me realize that I prefer a bit more classic 'original' vs modded. On newer stuff maybe its a bit different, but as they say, its only original once. Besides, if I want to access my fuel pump, its bolted on the engine and if I need to access the tank and sending unit, all I need to do is look under my seat in the cab.....of course, when i installed the rear tank, I had to guess a bit on 'calibrating' the fuel gauge float. Turns out it reads about 1/4 tank low and I have never found the energy to drop the skid, bumper and tank to access the sending unit and float to adjust.....
    2010 Tacoma TRD

Last Online
    46 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,057 Times in 1,383 Posts

I hear ya. Mine was properly modified when I purchased it so I have no worries as to additional mods.

Steven might double-take on making mods - his Jeep seems to be stock. So Steven, any mods that can't be easily reversed on your jeep?

Now, if one wishes to watch this video, I can HEARTILY AGREE with the don't change it / don't touch it mentality:

"It's only original once, right?"

The Black Ghost: Street Racing Legend - 1970 Dodge Challenger 426 Hemi Documentary | Historic Vehicle Association
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd0io1zktqI

Last Online
    9 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1993 Jeep YJ (stock)
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Steven might double-take on making mods - his Jeep seems to be stock. So Steven, any mods that can't be easily reversed on your jeep?"

As far as I can tell, nothing major whatsoever was done by the PO. I guess the only thing that can't be "easily" reversed that I've done was the mod to the rear diff pinion yoke -- you would just have to install a new one. I like the idea of keeping anything I do reversible. Right now it's a balance between me liking being stock and not liking being the only one that gets stuck on a trail run

I do have these rocker guards coming in the mail soon, I'm hoping they will bolt on well with grade 8 bolts and not have to be welded on.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 34
Size:  335.7 KB

Speaking of welding, I need to fix up the front passenger fender. The lower 4 or 5 inches of it that stretches downwards and partially hides behind the plastic fender flare is completely rusted through (fortunately the rust does not extend onto the tub). From what I know, the area is far too large and in too bad of shape to put Bondo on it. I plan to cut off the bottom end of the fender, weld a small piece of sheet metal on there, smooth it out, and do a quick spray paint job. I will probably also need to tap a hole or two for part of the front fender flare to screw into. Once I take proper measurements, I will be asking the group if anybody has a spare piece of sheet metal lying around.

Last Online
    9 Minutes Ago
    4x4
    1993 Jeep YJ (stock)
    User Name
    Steve-O
    Real Name
    Steven
    Thanks Given

Trent 3D printed this radio holder for me. The hole for the radio clip is made for Baofeng radios, so the clip on my Motorola T600 was a little wide and didn't fit. I bought a Baofeng clip on Amazon for $5 and attached it to the back on my T600. Seems decently sturdy, we will see how it holds up while wheelin', thanks again to Trent!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12