4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Default Ooma

I wanted to break this from the other thread. Jeff mentioned this (http://www.ooma.com/) in the Comcast Sucks thread. Anyone else use it? Based on Jeff's experience I'm giving serious thought to giving it a try.

Default Re: Ooma

One of my buddies has been using it about 3 years with great results. Another buddy has used it for 2 years. I finally broke down and got one. 6 months with no issues. If you decide to buy Chris and don't have a Costco card, let me know. Online is $150, in store is $130.

Last Online
    May 23rd, 2024
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

My existing phones will still work, correct? We have a couple of the old style plug-in's that we need to continue to use.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,088 Posts

Your old style phones, I'd expect, would work but Jeff could give input.

Typically, for a home moving from outside telco (Centurylink) to VOIP, a recommended action is to disconnect the house's telephone connection to the old phone company. This can be accomplished at the demac / demarcation box which is typically outside / on the side of the house. The customer accessible portion of the box can be opened and the house connection disconnected. When disconnected from the telephone company you'd typically connect the VOIP box (your new telephone company / telephone supply) into a house telephone jack. All phones in the house should be live again.

If you have just one telephone (or a base unit for household cordless phones) that can connect directly into the VOIP box, the disconnect item mentioned above would not be needed. It's only desired if you have wired phones in other areas of the home that you'd want to use.

Last Online
    April 21st, 2021
    4x4
    2004 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Brian
    Real Name
    Brian
    Thanks Given

Chris, I have Vonage which is another VOIP alternative for over three years with no problems. It works essentially the same as Ooma in that ‘normal’ land lines will work with it.

On a side note, I called Vonage last night to disconnect and go to Ooma, but the guy on the other end was like “what ya say if I dropped your $25 a month to $9 a month? So I’m still with them for a bit longer now. I tried Magic Jack before going to Vonage and my experience was a nightmare. But I’ve heard nothing but good stuff about Ooma.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    4x4
    2008 Jeep Rubicon
    User Name
    Jackie
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Thanks Given

I'm going to look into Ooma and Vonage. But I will need to pay a bit more because I will need the "small business" account. (My employer is in Florida and I'm on the phone way more than the regular at-home person). Anyone have a small business account with either one?

Last Online
    May 23rd, 2024
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

Thanks Jim & Brian! It sure lookslike it's worth a shot.

Last Online
    June 9th, 2023
    4x4
    14 gmc sierra
    User Name
    Rick
    Real Name
    Rick and Lorraine(Rain)
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Typically, for a home moving from outside telco (Centurylink) to VOIP, a recommended action is to disconnect the house's telephone connection to the old phone company. This can be accomplished at the demac / demarcation box which is typically outside / on the side of the house. The customer accessible portion of the box can be opened and the house connection disconnected. When disconnected from the telephone company you'd typically connect the VOIP box (your new telephone company / telephone supply) into a house telephone jack. All phones in the house should be live again."

This is correct

Last Online
    February 18th, 2016
    4x4
    '00 Jeep Wrangler TJ
    User Name
    Giljorak
    Real Name
    Tim
    Thanks Given

I've had Vonage for over 9 years now and love it. I use it in conjunction with VoIP filtering/recording software. The software allows me to setup a whitelist of numbers/people that I want to accept calls from. Everyone else goes straight to voice mail. Then Vonage emails me the voice mail with an attempt of an automated systems transcription of the voice mail. The recording aspect is nice for recording important calls. I have Comcast for my ISP and have not had an issue using Vonage.

Last Online
    May 23rd, 2024
    4x4
    4Runner
    User Name
    Chris
    Real Name
    Chris
    Thanks Given

I like the the sound of that Tim, 90% 0f the calls I get are junk. So much for the "no call" list. May I ask what the typical monthly cost is? It looks like Vonage is a bit higher monthly but Ooma costs more up front.

Last Online
    February 18th, 2016
    4x4
    '00 Jeep Wrangler TJ
    User Name
    Giljorak
    Real Name
    Tim
    Thanks Given

My Vonage bill after taxes and fees is $36.31 per month. The filtering/recording software cost was $89.00. To me it is worth every penny.
    Here is a link to the software: http://www.penbaynetworks.com/

12. The Following Member Says Thanks to Giljorak For This Post:

Chris (April 5th, 2013)

My parents had the Magic Jack for a year or so. I guess it worked OK, but wasn't great. After a year the monthly cost apparently went up on it. My parents proceeded to drop it.

The Ooma uses a regular home phone. We have it simply set up with 2 cordless phones right at the box. I haven't taken the time to disconnect the Qwest input line and plug this into the house lines. It is apparently pretty simple. My buddy did this so all the phone lines are on the Ooma box. He can then have multiple phones throughout the house just like you could with the phone company. All would be on one line though. I believe you can order a 2nd line for a minimal fee, but unsure how it works. Nobody I know has tried it.

Last Online
    February 18th, 2016
    4x4
    '00 Jeep Wrangler TJ
    User Name
    Giljorak
    Real Name
    Tim
    Thanks Given

Not sure if you are still looking into Vonage but I just got this in an email from them:
    "The price of your Vonage Residential Premium Unlimited calling plan will increase from $24.99 per month (plus taxes and fees) to $25.99 per month (plus taxes and fees), effective on your first billing statement after May 10."

Last Online
    February 15th, 2014
    4x4
    2004 Nissan Xterra
    User Name
    Andrew
    Real Name
    Andrew
    Thanks Given

I guess I don't understand the need for landline....I just use my cellphone.

My Ooma landline is about $3.00 a month. I use a pre-paid cell phone which is $.10 a minute, but I keep it to a minimum and spend about $100 a year on the cell. Use the landline when I can since I am a desk jockey and don't spend too much time away. I am sure that will change, but for the near future it keeps the bills to a minimum.

The Ooma is on sale at Costco. May only be in store, unsure about site. It was $99 and I think through the weekend.