4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

Default Steel fuel line to flexible connection

In the process of replacing my fuel tank and fuel pump, the "quick disconnect" fitting did not want to disconnect from my fuel pump. I ended up having to cut the flex fuel line which connects to the pump from the steel line on the frame. Now I have to connect my pump via a new flexible line to the the cut line on the frame. The pump connection has to be flexible as it bend up above the tank and extends when you drop it so it can connect and disconnect.

On the pump side, I have a 3/8" flanged fitting which is made for the "quick disconnect" connector. I was able to find the piece below and 3/8" high pressure fuel injector hose to connect to the pump (I don't love Dorman and the fact that its plastic, but its the only one I could find).

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-22722-800-058.aspx

The steel line is 5/16" or maybe even 1/4", I have to measure it today but its definitely smaller than 3/8". I'm not sure what the best way is to connect the steel line to the flexible hose, especially with them being different sizes (Dorman does make that same connector with a 5/16" hose end, but I like the idea of keeping the flexible hose larger to reduce the pressure a bit). I think a 5/16" compression fitting with 3/8" hose barb connector below will work best but its only available online, and I would like to sort this out asap as I have a lot of prep to do before the Moab trip next week.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13...aAsDhEALw_wcB#

Any other options I can find at the local parts or hardware stores that will give me a permanent leak free solution? Any issues with what I'm proposing?

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,131 Times in 2,088 Posts

Default Re: Steel fuel line to flexible connection

A situation I have with my jeep...

Of note - my jeep, stock, was carburated - thus low pressure fuel pump and fuel line setup. It was converted to fuel injected and thus some hacks (non-stock setup) are in play.

I have two locations where straight tube has fuel hose connected - for fuel injection fuel supply (higher pressures). One is at the output of the in-tank fuel pump. I had issues with the fuel hose being pushed off of the straight tube. In that case I had two worm clamps on the hose to tube connection. I looked at adding a barb but that never materialized (tried, failed). My setup now has a longer fuel hose on the metal tube which allows for four worm drive clamps to hold the fuel hose onto the tube. It has not let me down yet (and is not a significant item on my radar - but I know it's a possible failure point).

The second location, which I'm fairly sure is a straight tube connection (no hose barb), is midway between the fuel pump and the injectors - a fuel filter attached to the frame rail. That hose to tube connection has only one worm clamp and it has never failed me. I replaced the fuel filter once so the connection was disturbed / reconnected - never an issue. Perhaps I could add a second worm clamp for safety (there is ample space to do so).

So, not the answer you're looking for but to give some experience in the hose to straight tube setup. I am curious to your compression fitting / hose barb connection - I could upgrade my fuel pump / sender unit connection.

A couple pictures - the frame rail fuel filter (the filter has a hose barb but the hose to straight tube I do not think has a hose barb). Fuel pump - I didn't find a photo of the three or four worm clamp to straight tube connection - these are older with only two worm clamps to the straight tube - which did fail (slide off)).

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

Mountaineer01 (June 5th, 2023)

Last Online
    December 23rd, 2023
    4x4
    2006 Jeep LJ
    User Name
    Java
    Real Name
    Paul
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,261 Posts

X2. I had a YJ that ran the Howell kit and also required me to cut existing lines and connect flexible hose with clamps, I never had a problem with any of it.

5. The Following Member Says Thanks to Java For This Post:

Mountaineer01 (June 5th, 2023)

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

Thanks guys, that's a relief knowing that it works with just hose on tube with worm clamps! I think what I will do is just use 5/16" for the flex run and use the 5/16" to 3/8" connector at the fuel pump. I think I can find a 5/16" compression fitting with a 5/16" hose barb in stock at an auto parts store to connect everything up.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

Well I was able to find a 5/16 compression fitting with a 5/16 hose barb, but the compression part was too big for the line (or I was doing something wrong?) and the hose barb was too small for the hose. So I put the hose right on the pipe which was much more snug then added two high pressure hose clamps, ran it for a couple minutes and didn’t have any leaks, so I’m gonna call it good! Thanks for the input gents!

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Can you add more hose clamps while you have easy access?

If you find a compression-to-hose fitting that seems to work - I'd like to know where you purchased it (I'm assuming my setup has the same dimensions as yours).

Any reference to your high compression hose clamps? Maybe I should upgrade mine. This seems like a new-to-me item.

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

I already put it all together so I’m rolling with this unless there is an issue down the road. The hose clamps are called “fuel injector clamps” at the parts store, I’ve left a link below. They use a finer screw and a nut unlike worm clamps so they are rated for higher pressures.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

10. The Following Member Says Thanks to Mountaineer01 For This Post:

Java (June 6th, 2023)

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Thank you.

I'll look to use those instead of the hardware store worm drive style.