1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 993 Posts

Default Re: 58 Willys Wagon

A little update....got it torn down to bare block....

The oiling issue seems more pervasive than just rod #1...some of the other main bearings aren't looking as good as they should - no grooves but way too much wear for the limited mileage.

The #5 rod bearing is also bad - showing copper and did a bit of damage to the crank:

Originally, I was hoping this was a single oil galley issue and machining the crank journals, new undersize bearings, honing the cylinders and basic parts (bearings, gaskets, rings) would be enough. Wasn't sure about cam bearings etc....but that is all moot now. I knew I was running into a lot more bearing damage than originally thought... A local engine shop took a look at the parts/block...He checked a few common mistakes or errors that can happen (missing plugs or non-functional relief valve on the oil pump) that can starve oil, but everything seems in order in that regard. Its possible that somehow the crank/main bearings were somehow out of tolerance with the line bore, but that is pretty rare. Basically, his best guess is it seems like there was some sort of contamination in the oil....there is even signs of wear at the rocker arms on the top of the springs, and at the pivot balls, cam as well as decent circle wear on the bottom of the lifters - Seemed some of the convexity was flattened out. So anything that was oiled had wear - but what contaminated the oil? His best guess is something like Al oxide that gets used in various abrasives/scotchbrite when people are cleaning gasket surfaces and what not, gets embedded into the rough casting of the block and is really hard to clean out - even typical machine shop jet washes won't remove all of it. I didn't use anything like that on the block, but it can get into the jet wash at shops like his from someone else's block and then it contaminates all subsequent blocks that are used in that jet wash. I don't know....I guess the biggest concern would be if Al oxide contaminated the entire system, there is no easy way to get it all out, and any future build with the block is a bit risky....probably will need to disassemble the heads completely and wash them as well, and the intake if i stay with the same one.
    In short, For over $1000 (and 4 months out) for machine work and parts, plus some risk that I cannot get it cleaned out well enough and will end up back in this same spot in a year....I am going with an assembled sbc350 short block from S&J engines - its close enough in the Spokane, WA area that i can go pick it up and trade my core to avoid shipping costs and hassles. Still going to be over 2 months out, but I am going to Alaska for a big chunk of that, and have plenty of other upgrades to do while the willys sits. While going through this, looking at doing some other upgrades and things I never but probably should have done the first time through.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,122 Times in 2,083 Posts

Sounds good to cut bait and not risk it.

3. The Following Member Says Thanks to Jim For This Post:

FINOCJ (June 6th, 2024)

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Disheartening in the sense that I wanted to run an engine that I built - well really assemble - but in the long run, the real 'building' part is more about the machine work anyway. Assuming I get full core return, the short block will come completely assembled minus the oil pump - which is provided but not installed. That includes fresh machined block and crank, cleaned and prepped block with all proper plugs etc, installed crank, main bearings, installed rods and pistons and rod bearings, installed cam bearings and cam, installed complete timing set, installed 2-piece RMS, and painted for an additional $80 - total cost is $1700. That isn't much more than the machine shop estimate, and removes some of the risk. It hurts a bit considering what I already put into the engine, but the willys is useless without one - looking at it in the garage isn't worth a thing to me. There is still some big spending to come in the budget with TBI system - skipping out on the carb. I already had picked up an aftermarket aluminum intake with square bore bolt pattern that will work better with the TBI, will still need to figure out new fuel pump and maybe a gas tank - looking at a 90s TBI chevy van tank that will up my fuel capacity significantly, and is set-up with an in tank TBI pump. The final question will be whether to add aftermarket aluminum heads to go with the intake, or stay with iron heads i was using before (after a complete disassembly and cleaning). Heat control and heat soak has been an issue, and with the carb, its been boiling the fuel out of the bowl after it sits turn-off for a few minutes. I also haven't been able to lean the carb out enough - partially I think because the heat and fuel boiling was causing issues with the gaskets and dripping fuel down the throat. Some of that was my fault in not blocking off the carb pre-heat exhaust passages in the intake that go under the carb...TBI will help that, aluminum top end pieces can also help dissipate heat....the intake will help, but maybe just go all out with aluminum heads as well (plus some performance gains). The TBI unit I am looking at (holley sniper) has the control board/switches (computer) mounted in the throttle body (as opposed to remotely somewhere else), which makes for a very clean install, but exposes the unit to more heat. Plus, I've never been successful getting any gasket to seal the VCs on the iron heads. Maybe there is a cool factor with all aluminum top end? I thought there was a sort of old school cool with all iron pieces last time.

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago
    4x4
    02 Jeep TJ
    User Name
    TjMike
    Real Name
    Mike
    Thanks Given

Tough break but agree with Jim and think you're making the right move. It's hard giving up on all that work you've put into it but having a reliable engine will make up for it.

6. The Following Member Says Thanks to TjMike For This Post:

FINOCJ (June 6th, 2024)

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

A couple things reading your recent post...

So, you might re-use the heads that were on the unknown damaging particulate motor? I'd lean more heavily to the go aluminum and not re-use old motor items - no chance of damage to the new motor (I'm being overly cautious).

Second, on the boiling fuel - I had such an issue on a 68 Ford Wagon - v8. It kept boiling fuel such that when I'd come back from a long enough drive (didn't take too long), I'd turn the car of, get out and walk near the engine and I could hear boiling liquid sounds. In the end, I figured the intake exhaust pre-heat for the carb was passing too much exhaust gas so I figured I'd stop all exhaust gas flow. For a test, I put a thin metal shim / block at one of the sides - between the intake man & head. That didn't do the trick - a short time later - boiling fuel. I pulled the shim only to find it was blown apart. End of the story - this exhaust setup did not use any mechanical valve to bias exhaust flow through the intake but rather had a permanent inside-the-exhaust tube restrictor tube for one of the banks. That inner restriction tube had collapsed completely shut (the exhaust system looked perfect on the outside). One bank had all of its exhaust passing through the intake manifold. I removed the exhaust and could tap my flat palm at each exhaust manifold tube (on the exhaust) - different tones were produced. I pulled a hacksaw and cut the 'dead' sounding tube and that's when I saw the inner restrictor pipe collapsed closed.

Any chance your exhaust system could be doing the same to your carb heating? Try the flat palm drum tap on the open tube ends - do they sound the same?

Last Online
    13 Hours Ago
    4x4
    Jeep Wrangler JLU
    User Name
    xaza
    Real Name
    Cliff
    Thanks Given

rough luck James. Great write up on your process. I put an engine from S&J Engines in the XJ. I had great success with the engine and it was still running great when I sold the truck. Only put about 15k miles on it but ran solid and strong.

Cesare Pavese

9. The Following Member Says Thanks to xaza For This Post:

FINOCJ (June 6th, 2024)

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Any chance your exhaust system could be doing the same to your carb heating? Try the flat palm drum tap on the open tube ends - do they sound the same?"

I'll check, but when I put the exhaust system together, it uses old school iron ramshorn manifolds pre any exhaust recycle emissions valves, and the rest of the exhaust is just simple thin all tubing with no cut-out or valves. But yes, as there is no valving system to the preheater passage on the manifold, any blockage on one side would force more/most exhaust through the manifold passage to the opposite side and bringing that much more heat under the carb. As I learned later, for SBCs its pretty standard practice to use thin metal blockers for that intake passageway - they were included with the gasket kit - but I decided against it as the 'OEM' set-up for my intake was not to use them....but in the years since, it seems with ethanol rich fuels, its become standard practice to block them. Don't know if it would solve all the issues - but I never quite got to trying. When in doubt, I typically go with OEM set-up, and I was originally worried about how much issue cold starts would be, especially in MT, and how long it would take to get it warmed up and running on an old school carb. But this thing basically started with minimal to no choke, and has never needed much warm up time - it was the hot starts after heat soaking for a few minutes that would boil the fuel that were noticeable. At the same time, there is so much heat underhood - one reason I quickly switched from shorty headers to iron manifolds - that I am not sure that blocking the passageway will be enough. I put a 1.5" heat spacer under the carb, and that helped a smidge during cooler weather.....I guess exhaust gas is HOT (I know that is a sort of dumb comment), but what I mean is that its significantly hotter than say typical block temps, and thus it really does lead to heating the intake much more than it would otherwise be? I wished I would have pulled the intake at some point and tried - its just such a hassle to to on this set-up given the position of the engine etc and that the iron intake is HEAVY and its very awkward to get it out with the hood, fenders, grill etc all still on - maybe if I were 6'3 instead of 5'8" with long arms. Plus, I had so much trouble ever getting the back half to seal back up on the old sbc283 when I pulled it there (same manifold re-used), that since it wasn't leaking oil out the back, I didn't want to mess with it. oh well, live and learn.....I am excited to use the aluminum manifold, and I'll block the preheat exhaust passageway, and the TBI system doesn't have a fuel bowl like a carb, so all that should really help. Now, do I want to make an offer on these: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...rral_code=null

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

$950?

Last Online
    22 Hours Ago
    4x4
    2001 Mercury Mountaineer
    User Name
    Mountaineer01
    Real Name
    Isak
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "$950?"

Listed for 3 weeks, add says OBO.. he'll probably take $800 maybe even less...

Last Online
    1 Week Ago
    4x4
    1977 J10 Honcho
    User Name
    TyTheJeepGuy
    Real Name
    Ty
    Thanks Given

*sweating because I 100% used scotchbrite on the block head gasket surface*

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

TyTheJeepGuy previously posted:
    "*sweating because I 100% used scotchbrite on the block head gasket surface*"

hope not....here is a note from the NTSB about it:
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...37601-9999.pdf

I didn't use any on my gasket surfaces, but....something got in there. It may have been some other project I was working on - be nice if I had a 'clean' room for engine assembly, but my garage shop often has multiple overlapping projects going on, and its possibly I was doing some metal grinding out in the driveway and it got to the engine (which i kept plastic wrapped), but....? who knows - would've been easier to just light the $3k on fire.

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

A small update....been doing a lot of tedious and time consuming work on the 58 project, but seems like it never really gets anywhere....but I did get the rebuilt engine back together and that seems worthy of celebration. It has a rebuilt shortblock from S and J engines, and then I added my old heads and whatnot, plus a new aluminum Edelbrock intake. The carb set-up is hopefully only temporary, as the plan is to go TBI, but getting the gas tank and fuel pump aspects figured has been difficult. Plus, i am not sure I trust trying to start up the fresh engine with flat tappet cam on a TBI system I've never run. Given how senstitive these cams are to getting destroyed during initial start up and break-in, I am going to go with the tried and true qjet carb that it was running on previously. Plus, that buys me some more time to figure out the gas tank and TBI.

Also, got it attached to the rest of the drivetrain:

It'll go in as one big unit, but we are also working on a few other willys projects, so it'll be a bit before actual install. While it was all out, I did some minor rebuild of the Warn overdrive shift assembly and synchronizers - it seemed to like to upshift just fine, but something was binding on the downshift. I actually kind of like messing with various gear boxes:

New shift hub and sliding collar, new dogs and springs, new blocking rings, new gaskets.....won't know if it's till its all back and running:

We got quite a bit of interior work going on as well - Jen has really been helping with that....

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Progress!

If I can help with respect to FI pump in a mechanical pump tank setup - holler. I have some "life experience" education with mine.

What PSI is your FI pump putting out? Mine is something low - 25 to 40psi (at the rail) IIRC.

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "Progress!

If I can help with respect to FI pump in a mechanical pump tank setup - holler. I have some "life experience" education with mine.

What PSI is your FI pump putting out? Mine is something low - 25 to 40psi (at the rail) IIRC."

With TBI (as opposed to MPI like yours), the pump pressure doesn't need to be all that high. Most TBI pumps will put out about 40 psi and then a regulator will drop it lower - like 8psi I think. I expect to use a quality (expensive) walbro pump like this:
    https://hotrodhardware.com/products/...ank-fuel-pumps

The hard part is the actual fuel tank....I just haven't found any option of a pre-made tank for some other application that will fit in the space I need. I was hoping the chevy s-10 tanks from the 90s would work, as it was mated to the typical GM TBI system, and all the parts like pump, sending unit etc, would be basically off the shelf. But alas, it won't fit without some modifications that go beyond what I am comfortable doing. So, I am looking at having a fab shop make the tank, but is expensive. One option comes from a hot rod shop that I know will do all the little details correct - like the internal baffles, filler inlet, pump and sending unit mounts etc - but as you can imagine, the price hit hard. A local connection around here that works at a fab shop has offered to help me out as a side project for a price I am willing to do, but as you can imagine, things get a bit squirrely when doing it this way......

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

You're talking about replacing the main fuel tank,yes? Have you thought about adding a small 1 or 2 gallon tank for the FI pump and the main and underseat keep this FI tank full?

My tank is the original carb setup tank - the sending unit is a bit cobbled together to get the pump onto it. Could you do the same? Do you have any photos of your sending unit and tank connection?

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

Jim previously posted:
    "You're talking about replacing the main fuel tank,yes? Have you thought about adding a small 1 or 2 gallon tank for the FI pump and the main and underseat keep this FI tank full?"

This is on the 58, so the tank system is different than on the CJ.....it only has a small rear tank (no underseat tank). One of the main goals is to get a bigger tank - v8s are thirsty - even if I keep the carb, it still needs a bigger tank. The current OEM tank has only 13 gal of usable capacity, so I can't even go 150 miles on a tank (which is better than the OEM CJ 10 gal tank!). I am hoping for an improvement in mpg with the TBI, but at best, maybe 15mpg on a gen 1 sbc? So if it had 20 gal of usable capacity, that would be 300 miles, but I'd take a range of 250 miles - that is like 3-4 hours of driving on hwy.

Some have suggested a dual tank set-up (which is what I run in the CJ), but its a bit more complicated as the low pressure fuel system can use the same mechanical pump to pull from either tank (just need a valve to switch between the lines. Also, by 1970, the OEM underseat tank in the CJ has a return line, and the rear tank I installed also has a return line, so a second valve is needed to switch the return lines. On the TBI system, return line is mandatory.

Given that typically, TBI pumps are mounted in the tank, i would need two tanks, each TBI pump compatible (which the current OEM tank is not), both tanks with return line option (which the OEM tank is not), and electrical switch to operate the pumps separately. I'd prefer to use an in tank pump.......but it is possible to use an inline pump mounted in the frame rail, and then I could pull fuel from either tank with single pump and valve (just like the CJ). Still would need return lines to both tanks etc. Last option, is use a second tank with built in TBI pump and set-up, use that tank to feed the TBI system, and then use the original tank as a 'supply' tank to then fill the TBI feed tank. In such a case, I haven't really found a good option to to place a second tank under the frame, and it complicates matters with trying to protect it with skid plates etc.

Last Online
    3 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1990 Jeep Wrangler (YJ)
    User Name
    Jim
    Real Name
    Jim Williamson
    Thanks Given

Do you have any pictures of the 58's sending unit (out of the tank) and the mounting hole, in the tank, for the sending unit?

EDIT: I guess, nevermind as you're looking for a larger tank.

Last Online
    10 Hours Ago
    4x4
    1970CJ5 1958WillysWagon
    User Name
    FINOCJ
    Real Name
    James Orofino
    Thanks Given

I think its ready for initial start-up and (cam) break-in......going to go through and double check the basics tomorrow morning when i am not so tired, then prime the oil pump, install the distributor and wires and see what happens. I get why people use engine run stands, as it is a lot of work to get it into the rig and then get all the other stuff hooked up. But, assuming it all goes well, it'll pretty much be ready to drive around during run-in and finish seating the rings etc for the next few weeks. Lots of other side projects going on with it.....TBI/gas tank, interior upgrades etc that I can update after its running and driving again. I am a bit worried about the OD I did some work on back a few posts - hard to explain, but it seems like the sliding collar might be jammed up a bit making it not want to shift. Hopefully once things are spinning and some oil gets slung around, it'll shift normally. time for a beer.....

22. The Following 3 Members Say Thanks to FINOCJ For This Post:

Jim (4 Days Ago),TjMike (3 Days Ago),Tom (4 Days Ago)

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 16171819